Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you think of someone that knows nothing about website...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you think of someone that knows nothing about website...

maintenance, upkeep, and general knowledge - that's me.

I have a small site and I decided to upgrade to vbulletin. Now I know nothing about anything web based. My question (so far) is when I pay for professional installation offered here along with the vbulletin price, what information do I need from my hosting service, server etc.?

I right now have a reg. basic plain page when you come to my address with a link on the bottom to the phhpb SMF board.

Now I want vbulletin to be the forum right from the get go. I don't want a front page with a link.

So what info do I have to have before placing the order and what do I tell them so I don't sound more stupid than I do right now?

Also, what is the turn around time from the order placed until it goes through? And how long will my forum/site be down for?

I have other questions, but I sound like a dope already, so I want to space it out. lol

Oh and I have lunarpages, if that matters.

Comment

What you will need is this : (I think..)
      - FTP access (login and password)
      - database access (database name, login and pasword)

That would be all.
      I never used vbulletin's installation service, but I think you will be able to talk to the guy making the install for you, so just tell him you want him to install the forum at the root of your website, so you will directly access it when typing your domain name in your browser.

If you have the information mentionned at the beginning of my post, you're ready, I can't think of anything else you'll need.
      Don't know anything about lunarpages, but if phpBB runs, vbulletin should also !
      Syntax errors in my post ? Well, I'm a french-speaking Swiss user..

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

In all honesty, I can't think of why someone would need a pro install of VB.
          It's really easy, and I was a complete newbie when I started. The only place you need any real knowlegde is in customizing the templates to make it look like you want. The pro install does not include that anyway.

The support from other users and VB staff is superb. There is nothing involved in installing and running the basic product that hundreds of people can't help you with. Once you've done it yourself, you've learned. When you write a check you learn nothing.

Steve

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X