Amount of Forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amount of Forums

When purchasing the vbulletin it shows where you can buy like 1-2 or more. what does that mean? I just want one site with multiple Catagories like exp:

Information
    -Announcements
    -Feedback
    -Tests

Specifics
    -General
    -Drivetrain
    -Suspension
    -Tires & Wheels
    -Body & Interior

Etc.
    etc.
    etc.

thanks
    dan

The more licenses you buy at once, the cheaper each individual license becomes. It has nothing to do with the amount of posts or forums you plan to have.
    Forums

Comment

A license is basically permission to run one copy of vBulletin on a server/URL. So if you wanted to run more than one copy of vBulletin on let's say four different URLs, you'd need four Licenses of vBulletin.
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by muddintn
        When purchasing the vbulletin it shows where you can buy like 1-2 or more. what does that mean? I just want one site with multiple Catagories like exp:

Information
        -Announcements
        -Feedback
        -Tests

Specifics
        -General
        -Drivetrain
        -Suspension
        -Tires & Wheels
        -Body & Interior

Etc.
        etc.
        etc.

thanks
        dan
        Way I read this is that you want one licence to run one board with numerous forums within that one board, is that right?

Bob

Comment

An instance can be called a board.
          You can run one board, this board can have multiple categories and forums and subforums, in theory there is no limit for this.

If you want to run more than one board you need more then one license.

Comment

Since it is posted already....

Let me try to word this the right way & try to ask it all at once. (Drum Roll)

1. I want to use my one & only forum/board for several uses.
            Currently I use it for a site I made for the county I live in.
            I think I want to MOVE it to my business site.

2. That would mean multiple forums/boards/catagories all on one site.
            Example: www.mybusiness.com/vb
            Have a different section for each use.

3. Can I put a link to a SPECIFIC section? Like from my main site put a link like: www.mybusiness.com/vb/support
            or: www.mybusiness.com/vb/ordering

I could buy 6 licenses for 6 sites & probably not get more than a couple hundres users & maybe 2,000 posts in a year.

Comment

Won't the standard one installation work? Take a look at this board, it has different sections (sometimes referred to as 'Conferences') for each vB version with a selection of forums in each section. Since each forum has its own id then a link to that could be placed anywhere on your web site.

I have this setup on my server, with a different forum for each model of car etc.

Getting 6 licences would be costly, although I doubt vB would complain.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Isaac
                Won't the standard one installation work? Take a look at this board, it has different sections (sometimes referred to as 'Conferences') for each vB version with a selection of forums in each section. Since each forum has its own id then a link to that could be placed anywhere on your web site.

I have this setup on my server, with a different forum for each model of car etc.

Getting 6 licences would be costly, although I doubt vB would complain.

Bob
                WHAT BOARD?
                I missed the link...

Comment

By 'this board' I meant the vBulletin.com support board.

Bob

Comment

No, you do not need a separate license for each category of forums you plan to have.

Comment

I am gonna BUMP to get a reply from staff.

I wanna be sure (Officially)

Comment

If it *were* illegal, they'd be hounding me to pay them $640 more that I owe them. They're not that uptight.

You get one set of files with your license, and as it doesn't require you to copy those files to make additional categories, it's legal. It wouldn't be an option if it weren't allowed, right? You can pretty much do whatever you want, so long as you're not removing the branding or copying the files to another internet location.

Either way, the word of a staff member is worth more than mine, go ahead and wait for one of them if you feel you need to.
                        Last edited by RagnarokDensetsu; Fri 30 Dec '05, 3:43pm.

Comment

It sure would be a lot easier if people referred to a forum as one installation of vBulletin and all the categories and forums you create under that forum as categories and subforums.

One license of vBulletin allows you to create one forum with as many subforums as you wish. If you have 2 sets of users or two sets of completely different forums, then you need 2 licenses.

Comment

If you want

domain.com/board1/
                            domain.com/board2/

You require 2 licenses.

Comment

That did not quite cover it for me.

I guess I will switch the forum around & chance it being ok.
                              I mean if it were not allowed, I am giving the software company a chance to tell me...
                              Last edited by Bad_i_BILL; Sat 31 Dec '05, 11:06am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X