Oh lots of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh lots of questions

Okay I'm sure if I spend the next year surfing this site I'd find all the answers I'm about to ask but hey, if you all know it all, then I DO have a life outside the computer.

Okay, I'm looking to starting a forum blah-blah, and I've chosen vbulletin, yeah, got it, okay question number one:

What all do I need to get this started? Do I need a computer with a certain amount of power? Do I need a computer all on it's own to run it or will I still be able to do as I wish on the computer? Do I need to buy a domain to host it on? Is it worth having someone coming to install the bloody thing for me?

Okay, that aught to get me started...I'm sure I'll com up with more later.

Thanks!
    lil admin

First things first, you need a server.

That requires you to either use your computer as one (leaving it on all the time, installing apache, etc), or to find a web host.

It is recommended that you find a host using the most current stable releases of PHP and MySQL.

After that, upload, run the install.php file, and off you go. You may have to set up a table for the database to run off, but that shouldn't be too hard.

Comment

Originally posted by liladmin
      What all do I need to get this started? Do I need a computer with a certain amount of power? Do I need a computer all on it's own to run it or will I still be able to do as I wish on the computer? Do I need to buy a domain to host it on? Is it worth having someone coming to install the bloody thing for me?
      Trying to run a website especially a reasonably popular forum on your home PC is strongly discouraged. If you have cable modem, they may block you from hosting a website at any time (most cable companies do not allow you to host a website off your home account).

Decent web hosting for a beginning vBulletin forum and website costs about $6-10 a month. You'll want to research this on WebHostingTalk.com if you don't find the recommendations you need here. Then you register a domain name which is ~$20/yr.

There are different kinds of web hosting. For your needs, shared web hosting and a domain (.com, .net, etc.) should be just what you need. Dedicated, Semi-dedicated, and virtual private servers are for very popular websites with a lot of visitors or other special needs.

Setting up a website especially a forum on your home PC is much more complicated than setting up a website up on a web host since they already have the software and tools in place to run scripts.

There is detailed documentation here on vBulletin.com on how to install the forum software, set up the database (should be 3-4 clicks and typing a name, username, and password) and getting up and running in under an hour.

Comment

alright, this helps.

for clarity sakes, are you saying that if I get a web hoster then I don't need to instal vbulliten on my computer?

Comment

.01% of vBulletin users install it on their computer.

Comment

ah ha! Now that saves alot of trouble!

Comment

Hey, I have another question!

i was surfing, looking for a hoster etc etc, blah blah blah and I kept seeing things like 'holds up to 1000mb' or whatever. How much space to I need for vbulletin??

lil admin

Comment

vBulletin itself requires very little space, but when you start adding mods / hacks / skins etc and people start posting a lot then the site will require (a lot) more space.

How big do you expect your forum to get? That's the thing that determines how much space will be required. On a small forum 50 - 75mb should last a fair while but if you have a busy one then you will need more.

Comment

So 500 mb should last me a good while then?

Comment

probably enough for a few years if your forum doesn't expand like a rabbit colony

Comment

Originally posted by Joeperd
                      probably enough for a few years if your forum doesn't expand like a rabbit colony
                      So what happens if it does expand beyond that? What do I do then? (I expect great things from this forum!)

Another question: I've found a hoster I like, so when I purchase a vB, will it be sent to him? Will I still be able to work with ther color sceme and create the boards and stuff from my home?

Comment

Sorry, one more thing. I stumbled across this site: http://forumlaunch.com/ a couple days ago.

Has anyone had any expeirience with it? Is it worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by liladmin
                          So what happens if it does expand beyond that? What do I do then? (I expect great things from this forum!)

Another question: I've found a hoster I like, so when I purchase a vB, will it be sent to him? Will I still be able to work with ther color sceme and create the boards and stuff from my home?
                          Any good host will allow you to buy more space/bandwidth if you require extra. Over the course of your forum's life you may switch hosting accounts or dataceneters multiple times depending on your needs.

This is why you should pay month to month (don't buy a year of hosting up front). This way you can move hosts if you ever need to and you won't end up stuck with someone for a year, or losing a big chunk of change.

As for forumlaunch.com, first time I've heard of it.

Comment

You need to be sure they have PHP and MySQL (most do). You need to be sure they will allow you SSH access (most don't and it's important in making and restoring backups)

I am now on Routhost.com since Dec 1st they are very good and very reasonable. I was on RealValue hosting before that. They are very good and if you want a 500MB package, are very reasonable.

Installing yourself is really no big deal. You get plenty of support here for the things you don't understand at first glance.

Steve

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X