Can this be done - location targeted ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can this be done - location targeted ads

I am putting together a forum and we want to sell local advertising. Of course ads for businesses in my town wont be relevant to folks in your town so here is my question

Is it possible to target ads to a persons location. Example. Ads for my town Spokane only show up for those in the Spokane area. Ads for Denver only show for Denver folks, etc. I would imagine this would be a hack of some kind.

Any info or feedback is apprciated. If this would be possible it would be much easier to entice local advertisers. Thanks

Originally posted by Wooff
    I am putting together a forum and we want to sell local advertising. Of course ads for businesses in my town wont be relevant to folks in your town so here is my question

Is it possible to target ads to a persons location. Example. Ads for my town Spokane only show up for those in the Spokane area. Ads for Denver only show for Denver folks, etc. I would imagine this would be a hack of some kind.

Any info or feedback is apprciated. If this would be possible it would be much easier to entice local advertisers. Thanks
    Your best bet is to ask about this at vBulletin.org [ www.vbulletin.org ] -- vBulletin.com's hack community, since vBulletin.com does not support such modifications.
    "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

Thanks creepshow, I'll give that a try.

Merry Christmas

Comment

Ok apparently you have to have avb license to even post in that forum. I dont yet. Thats why I posted in presales questions.

So is it then safe to assume I cant get my presales question answered until I purchase? Seems kinda backwords.

If anyone can let me know if this might be possible I'd be very grateful.

Comment

What you are trying to accomplish is called GeoTargetting and it does not require code hacking. It is something that vBulletin doesn't offer as this is a specific feature for ad companies.

Try looking into ad companies like YieldManager that can help you manage your ads and sell the space. It does cost money however.

If you are looking for a cheaper solution, try using phpadsnew in combination with MaxMind GeoIP. There are free versions of the database floating around their site, but it's more country specific that region or city specific
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Much appreciated Josh. I look into that.
            Merry Christmas

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X