Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How easy is it to set up VBulletin?

Hiya guys,

I'm considering buying VBulletin so that I can have my own forum on my fairly busy website which is for an internet radio station.

I'm not too clued up on coding, however, I can do some basics (ie, changing CSS sheets, etc).

Is VBulleting easy to set up and customise for fairly inexperienced people like me, or do you have to be a brainbox to get it working?

Cheers guys,

Carl.

If you know what you're doing? 10 minutes.

If you are familiar with uploading files via FTP, editing text files (config.php), and using a web control panel (I'm assuming your web host has some kind of control panel like cPanel or Plesk that lets you password-protect directories, set up e-mail addresses, etc.?), you should be golden.

Comment

Cool, I can do all of that! Is it really that easy then?

What about setting up MySql in order to use VBulletin? I haven't the slightest idea about how to use MySql Is that done automatically by VBulletin?

Comment

you need to setup the database using phpmyadmin or your website control panel.

some instructions are in the vbmanual: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/create_database

Comment

You don't have to know MySQL. You just have to Create a database and give it a login and password. Give that information to vB and it does the rest.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Yup, you basically just keep clicking the next button lol. There are a few steps that require some information like DB info and Admin info but its pretty easy .
              <Onimua> Congrats Chroder
              <Onimua> You're a daddy.
              <Chroder> eh
              <Onimua> :)
              <Chroder> uh oh

Comment

i have the same question. ive set up a phpbb forum before using the mysql on my server is vbulletin the same? or is easier or harder to set up than phpbb?

Comment

My experience says setting up vBulletin is easier than setting up a phpBB board
                  ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                  Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                    My experience says setting up vBulletin is easier than setting up a phpBB board
                    Without a doubt.
                    "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Lotus
                      i have the same question. ive set up a phpbb forum before using the mysql on my server is vbulletin the same? or is easier or harder to set up than phpbb?
                      Although others say vB is easier, I found it to be about the same. If you were comfortable with phpBB, vB will be no problem. One of the nice things about vB is you won't have to reinstall hacks and mods the way you do with phpBB.
                      ...steven
                      www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                      bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                      "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X