Purchasing previous versions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing previous versions....

What is the ability to purchasing 3.0.x? I am starting a new car site, and really would like to use vbGarage and vbTimeslips.

What are the significant advantages between 3.0.x and 3.5

Frank

Hacks like vbGarage, vbTimeslips, etc. ask you to modify many of the original PHP files of vBulletin.
    They also require you to edit templates and make other style changes.

When a new version of vBulletin 3.0.x comes out, if you want to fully upgrade, you have to compare the new PHP source files with your currently modified PHP source files and make sense of it all using a compare program like Araxis Merge or Beyond Compare.

Then, you have to look at the templates that were upgraded in the new version of vB and synch those changes back to your customized versions.

You can understand why so many 3.0.x forums are very out-of-date.

vBulletin 3.5 virtually eliminates PHP file modifications with a new Plugin system that allows add-on scripts to execute PHP code alongside vBulletin without having to actually hack up the original PHP files.

vBulletin 3.5 also introduces a Template Compare and Template History feature which facilitates keeping your templates in synch with the latest updates.

Many of the 3.0.x hacks have been ported over to vBulletin 3.5. You can check on the status of Plug-in development at vBulletin.org. Some vB3.5 add-ons do require one or two PHP file modifications but it's still substantially less work than in vB3.0.x.

vB3.5.x Plugins and Products (Plugins combined with other support files) are incompatible with vB3.0.x and vice versa.

There are a lot of people in the same boat as you -- wanting vBGarage and vBTimeslip but wanting to run the latest vBulletin.

When you buy vBulletin, I believe you can download the latest 3.0.x. But I would let a staff member confirm that.
    Last edited by feldon23; Fri 9 Dec '05, 6:28am.

Comment

You can download versions as far back as vb2.3.5.

Comment

Originally posted by leftie
        You can download versions as far back as vb2.3.5.
        You can, because you've been a vB customer since 2.3.5 was released. The list of versions available for download is different for each customer.

I remember when you couldn't download anything but the latest. We'd beg for an earlier version so we could compare different versions for upgrade purposes and Jelsoft would shake it's big ugly stick (license agreement) at ANY attempt to download any version other than the published one. Especially if we asked other license owners to send us a copy even after we proved that we were legit customers. Having a popup menu to choose all versions we have a legitimate right to download is quite nice.

Comment

I've had a license since October and can download the latest version of VB2, VB3 and VB3.5.

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23
            You can, because you've been a vB customer since 2.3.5 was released. The list of versions available for download is different for each customer.

I remember when you couldn't download anything but the latest. We'd beg for an earlier version so we could compare different versions for upgrade purposes and Jelsoft would shake it's big ugly stick (license agreement) at ANY attempt to download any version other than the published one. Especially if we asked other license owners to send us a copy even after we proved that we were legit customers. Having a popup menu to choose all versions we have a legitimate right to download is quite nice.
            Not true. If you go to your member area and click on download vbulletin you will see the latest version available and if you click the drop down box you will see all the previous versions to download.

Ps only got my first licence 11 months ago and i think it was 305 then.

Comment

Like I said, the list of versions available for download is different for each customer. As indicated, the latest of vB2, 3, and 3.5 are available to all customers.

A user who bought when 3.0.7 was out would see:

vB2.3.7
              vB3.0.7
              vB3.0.8
              vB3.0.9
              vB3.0.10
              vB3.0.11
              vB3.5.0
              vB3.5.1
              vB3.5.2

Some users will have a lot more, some will have less.

Comment

Actually having looked again I can get all versions of VB3 except 3.0.0, versions of VB2 > 2.3.4 and VB3.5 upwards. As stated earlier I only bought a copy in October so I don't think that is quite true.

Comment

Originally posted by Cromulent
                  Actually having looked again I can get all versions of VB3 except 3.0.0, versions of VB2 > 2.3.5 and VB3.5 upwards. As stated earlier I only bought a copy in October so I don't think that is quite true.
                  Same here. I purchased mine a year ago, but when I did so the current version was 3.0.3, I belive. I can still download all of the following versions.

Comment

Who would be a good person to contact who could write those plugins for me for obviously some money? I would love to see the two integrated with some other features. Could be a very vuable product.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by fkatzenb
                      Who would be a good person to contact who could write those plugins for me for obviously some money? I would love to see the two integrated with some other features. Could be a very vuable product.

Frank
                      Best to ask over in the Service Requests at vBulletin.org
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X