IPB or vB and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by feldon23
    I wish a couple of users who have used both vB and IPB could write unbiased comparisons of the 2 products, have the results subject to peer review, and then post it here on the forums or maybe at an independant site.

There is no way that a few replies here and there can provide an accurate picture for someone deciding between the two products. I think vBulletin is strong enough that it can stand on its own merits even when accurately compared to other products.
    I've heard Ushop won't be released until sometime next year. So I'm not getting my hopes up for quite a while.

As for a comparison, there would need to be 2 versions. 1 for the techie and 1 for the newbie. Since obviously the newbie would have very little clue about php, sql, etc. And the techie would freak if he didn't have more info on those same things. It's a nice thought, but what it really comes down to is what is best for you AND the members and what you are looking for. They both have their ups and downs. Pluses and minuses. Some prefer IPB's 'more default' features. Others look at it as 'bloatware'. Some like the VB plug-in system, and that you can add whatever you want, pretty easily. Others don't like how you have to rely on an unstable modding community to get what you may want or need. It sucks when a good product is released as a mod/plug-in.....then never updated or supported after that and is having alot of issues with the current build of that board. Around around it goes.

Best thing to do is figure out what you want for you and your members and try out the boards you are interested in.

Comment

When I was deciding what forum software to use, I considered IPB and vBulletin.

Invision Power Board / IPB:
      IPB is a great and feature-filled forum software. It's great and I love it. In fact, I used InvisionFree as my first forums... so, yeah. Two problems about IPB...
      1. Styles / Skins / Themes:[/b]
        Oh. My. God. The styles for IPB are either just an image change or a css change. I got soo sick after a while
      2. IPS: The Lieing Company. Yeah. They said it would 'always' be free. Yes, they do have to live, but damnit. WHy did they ahve to do that move? Whatever. Better for vBulletin.

IPB just didn't (doesn't) fit my needs. When I go to an IPb-powered forum, there is at least a DB error once a week. How nice.

IPB is great, but I don't like it.

vBulletin / The Best BB Evah:
      I chose vBuleltin because of it's speed, features and ease-of-use. Heh. It's slogan is true. I set up vBulletin, my community grew a lot by 1 week. I love it's plugin system, and I [B]LOVE[B] it's styles and themes. vB.org = My Favorite Website ^_~

In the end, it's all your decision. if you'd like to go with IPB and get lied to, hey, that's your problem. If you'd like to have a scalable and pwoer forum system, with more than 100+ features and 1,000+ owners, then go with vBulletin. By the way, Support is amazing. I submitted a Support Ticket, heh, That Steve Machol is faster than the speed of light.

~ WiZu

Comment

I've heard Ushop won't be released until sometime next year. So I'm not getting my hopes up for quite a while.
        I wanna know where you heard this

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
          I wanna know where you heard this
          Well its December...so unless its out by Dec. 31st, it will be released next year.

And I have my sources.

Comment

ROFL!

We're all thinking 'next year' is a life time away. XD

Comment

Originally posted by whitetigergrowl
              Well its December...so unless its out by Dec. 31st, it will be released next year.

And I have my sources.
              Really? Take this : Zak is co-ordinating the development!
              =)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X