IPB or vB and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPB or vB and why?

What are the pros and cons of both? Why would u pick one over the other. Include both prices in ur answers please. I need to know which licence to purchance.

Thanks

I'll tell you right now, it's much better if you do your own research, find which is better for you, and go for that. There have been many discussions (and just about all of them closed) becuase it usually comes down to a flame-fest. Search this forum for "IPB vs vB" and you'll see a number of discussions pop up; some may help.

Only advice is to go with what you think you need for your community. Maybe ask some specific questions, and ask of vBulletin can do it. Go over to IPB's site, and ask those same questions, and if IPB can do it.

People tend to be biased, so it's better to leave out the name of a competitor in inqueries.

Just thought I'd toss in my two cents in case anything should happen with this thread.
    Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

Im just asking from personal experince which would u say and why?

And is it true that vB is an overall faster forum then phpbb and ipb?

Comment

Originally posted by Vladi_187
        Im just asking from personal experince which would u say and why?

And is it true that vB is an overall faster forum then phpbb and ipb?
        Fair enough.

That depends on your server, kind of server, your settings, what kind of plugins/hacks you may have, etc.

I have personally used IPB and vB. To me, vBulletin definetly is faster loading.

One of the main reason I went with vBulletin was because of the outstanding support. I couldn't stand waiting a day or more (even on weekends, waiting until Monday) to get an issue resolved.

Another was the fact, while IPB does listen to suggestions, there are far more "features" in IPB that I feel aren't needed as a majority; it's become bloatware almost, and with IPB 2.1, the number of file size alone has increased quite a bit. Many features that are standard in IPB I feel were beter left off as hacks or other kinds of modifications.

vB leans towards making a forum fast and efficiently, while being extremely active with clients in the development of the software. vBulletin.org is an amazing place, and with its help, made vBulletin the way it is today.

Overall, vBulletin was just worth the money. There's many reasons why I switched to vBulletin, and the above are just a few of my own experiences and thoughts.

Comment

ipb and vB are about the same speed from my experience. vB has ajax quick reply and plugin system that supports a huge variety of modifications. While we're at it, vB has a lot more mods available compare to iPB, from simple template modification to blog, links database, and gallery. The template system in vB is easier to work with, at least for me. Also the paid subscription system is a no-brainer in vB, extremely easy to use. According to http://www.big-boards.com/statistics, vB is the most popular software for larger than average forums. Even with that, I picked vB because of the friendly support staff and many non-staff members that help out a great deal.
          Last edited by Vtec44; Wed 30th Nov '05, 9:28pm.
          So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

Im intrested in installing a points system perhaps. Shoutbox, quick reply, coloured groups for sure.

Comment

Points system? Explain a bit more, can you?

Quick reply, already there, no need for it to be added in. Shoutbox... theres a plugin at vbulletin.org that does this, no file edits necessary (just upload a single file through your ACP and you're done). Colored groups... easily achieved.

Comment

Quick reply is built in, coloured group is a simple change that can be added with the existing html field in the usergroup setting, shoutout box can be easily installed in 3 minutes with the plugin system (browse, import, done). I'm not sure about the points system, but the reputation system is built in and maybe something close to what you're looking for.
                So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

Dang, Onimua has quick fingers

Comment

Originally posted by Vtec44
                    Dang, Onimua has quick fingers
                    Yes, I know. FF 1.5 + DSL = Whoosh!

Comment

Originally posted by Vladi_187
                      Im intrested in installing a points system perhaps. Shoutbox, quick reply, coloured groups for sure.
                      I do hope you are referring to Karma
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I wont bother to find out exactly wat i saw on this hiphop forum but it was something close to a points/karma system...I dont need it right now so drop that topic. I do however have a question. What do u think would be great mods to have on a 'HipHip news and discussion site/forum'? Just for the hiphop aspect of the forum and also to make members be more intrested in staying on the forum? Ever installed something on uyr forum that made members realy want to stay there and post more to gain something? or w/e? If so, wat?

Comment

I have two sites and each with a forum for the same group of members. One is the "back up" so we choose to use IPB for one and vBulletin for the other.

I think they are both very capable peices of software. But I prefer to admin the vbulletin. For me the layout is easier, the support better. I know that some IPB owners will disagree, but preference has a lot to do with it.

Our users choose vbulletin as the primary site too. For them it was the style and the layout, but it was clear which would become the primary forum almost immediately.

Now I have a few mods, and for that I love vbulletin.org (which is where you would get the point/karma system you mentioned. Take a look at what they have and you will be impressed. There are some mods for vb that are "default" in IPB, but nothing that knocks my socks off, and the mods for IPB in my opinion aren't as good as what I find at vb.org (again, just my opinion)

Use the demos that they both have and see for yourself what you like and don't like. But if you choose vb you will be happy with your choice, this is a great company, and they won't let you down.

Comment

I wish a couple of users who have used both vB and IPB could write unbiased comparisons of the 2 products, have the results subject to peer review, and then post it here on the forums or maybe at an independant site.

There is no way that a few replies here and there can provide an accurate picture for someone deciding between the two products. I think vBulletin is strong enough that it can stand on its own merits even when accurately compared to other products.

Comment

uCash is kind of a points system I guess. And once uShop is released....woot.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X