Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A vBulletin Testimony for Potential Buyers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A vBulletin Testimony for Potential Buyers.

Make the purchase, you'll be glad you did.

I am what you might call a "natural born beta tester." I have this knack for finding or perhaps even creating technical disasters. Believe me, this is not a talent I am proud of. If I had enough technical knowledge to realize how I managed to find or create these disasters then that would be a good thing but, I don't.

The truth is, I have some sort of odd addiction to software. I will spend hours trying out various types. It can be anything from browsers to games to graphics programs and more. My approach to software is: "I wonder what would happen if...." That's when the technical trouble usually starts.

I took a chance against all odds and purchased vBulletin without purchasing professional installation. I was able to do the install myself without any problems. As soon as I logged into the admin area, my addiction took over and I became Gehanna Hyde! My mind was plagued by the thought of, "I wonder what would happen if...."

I've been in the admin area doing all sorts of obscene things just so I can see what would happen. Most recently, I've been messing with styles and templates. Changing table sizes, colors, dimensions and etc. I've been having a good time in there!

vBulletin has been developed to allow people like me to make a mess of things and then change it all back to normal again. How thoughtful of the vBulletin development team! I suddenly feel all sentimental inside.

Ok enough with the dramatics. The bottom line is this. I have yet to encounter any complications despite my lack of technical skills. vBulletin is a good thing. Make the purchase, you'll be glad you did.

Sincerely,
    Gehanna

I'm happy that you're happy with vBulletin.

But I need to comment on this, as it's a blemish on the PR value...

The truth is, I have some sort of odd addiction to software. I will spend hours trying out various types. It can be anything from browsers to games to graphics programs and more. My approach to software is: "I wonder what would happen if...." That's when the technical trouble usually starts.
    It doesn't add up. And because of that it can create a "smell factor" (that the testimony doesn't add up to the, "I'm a total n00b [even though I'll work with a zillion types of software <-- OOPS!], but even I can dive into working a very robust forumware overnight, even before gurus who still have to ask where XYZ is!").

:blink: :blink:

Most end-users who are total n00bs with any software have an aversion factor to learning something different (time, energy, money, and more keeps folks from wanting to change. Just try to get Windows users to switch to *nix and you can see the problem). Thats the same folks that'll winkle their nose at such a testimonial, as they are the n00bs and the testimony of vB being so powerful and ease of use doesn't go hand and hand -- especially with soooo many support questions on how to run it, by total n00bs.

Just a heads up. Match the testimony with the population, or it'll fall flat.

Chris
    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
    is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
    ~~~
    Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

I see your point and now I want you to try to see mine.

To begin, I never said I was a total noob. I have just enough knowledge to spark my curiosity. While it is true that I like to play with software, that doesn't mean I know what I'm doing. Now pay attention because this is one of the few times I'll ever admit to something like that.

Most end-users who are total n00bs with any software have an aversion factor to learning something different (time, energy, money, and more keeps folks from wanting to change. Just try to get Windows users to switch to *nix and you can see the problem). Thats the same folks that'll winkle their nose at such a testimonial, as they are the n00bs and the testimony of vB being so powerful and ease of use doesn't go hand and hand -- especially with soooo many support questions on how to run it, by total n00bs.
      What could be worse than lack of change?

There are those who, despite swimming ability, will jump into the deep end of the water. There are any number of reasons why a person may do this. It could be that the individual wants to face their fear and learn how to swim or perhaps it is because the person can at least do the dog paddle well enough to keep their head above water. On the other hand, it may be that the person has completely lost their mind. Regardless of the reason, these people are also a part of the entire population of individuals who gather at the swimming hole.

By no means should their testimony regarding the pleasantness of the water be considered a blemish in the scope of PR.

It seems to me that my testimony matches the population I represent quite well.

ps- a sincere compliment will never fall flat unless it encounters arrogance.

Sincerely,
      Gehanna

Comment

Originally posted by Gehanna
        I see your point and now I want you to try to see mine.

To begin, I never said I was a total noob. I have just enough knowledge to spark my curiosity. While it is true that I like to play with software, that doesn't mean I know what I'm doing. Now pay attention because this is one of the few times I'll ever admit to something like that.
        It means you can pick it up rather fast, because the nature of programming (be it online or off) each are very similiar in function and execution.

A total n00b with software is like the boss who goes no further than learning how to type out an email and push the send button. Attachments and folders and all the other options are beyond his abilities to understand.

What could be worse than lack of change?
        The human condition, which refuses to change at every chance!

Mankind is a very lazy guy.

There are those who, despite swimming ability, will jump into the deep end of the water. There are any number of reasons why a person may do this. It could be that the individual wants to face their fear and learn how to swim or perhaps it is because the person can at least do the dog paddle well enough to keep their head above water. On the other hand, it may be that the person has completely lost their mind. Regardless of the reason, these people are also a part of the entire population of individuals who gather at the swimming hole.
        That's true, but a n00b jumping into a deep pool isn't paying $85/$160 for that pleasure too. A person that motivated is going to investigate and try out the admin demo, go poking around other vB forums to kick it's tires some. If not, they're hire others to install, skin and maintain the forumware.

By no means should their testimony regarding the pleasantness of the water be considered a blemish in the scope of PR.
        Unless a shark entered the water and the PR is lacking a lifeboat.

There's competition around, and because of it, testimonies are best matched to the audience, or the shark will take a big bite in the rival software's posterior. No company needs a hard time sitting for months, ya know.

It seems to me that my testimony matches the population I represent quite well.
        Not to Mr. Shark (and believe me we have them circling the pre-sales forum) looking for prey.

ps- a sincere compliment will never fall flat unless it encounters arrogance.
        It fails when people winkle their nose at how can XYZ all of a sudden gloat about vB, when before s/he's all thumbs (meanwhile proclaims their proficiency in operating software -- for someone who tries a lot, knows it's layout/function/form a lot).

And competition brings a lot of arrogance from either side, thus, testimonies need to match up well -- or Mr. Shark is going to have a juicy rump roast.

Chris
        ~~~
        Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Hello again ChrisLM2001

That's true, but a n00b jumping into a deep pool isn't paying $85/$160 for that pleasure too. A person that motivated is going to investigate and try out the admin demo, go poking around other vB forums to kick it's tires some. If not, they're hire others to install, skin and maintain the forumware.
          You are right. If anything I've done a lot of poking around lately.

There's competition around, and because of it, testimonies are best matched to the audience, or the shark will take a big bite in the rival software's posterior. No company needs a hard time sitting for months, ya know.
          You still have me at a loss for understanding what you mean by "matched to the audience". Do you mean that testimonies are best matched to the market niche being focused on?

And competition brings a lot of arrogance from either side, thus, testimonies need to match up well -- or Mr. Shark is going to have a juicy rump roast.
          I will keep this in mind for future reference.

Sincerely,
          Gehanna

Comment

You still have me at a loss for understanding what you mean by "matched to the audience". Do you mean that testimonies are best matched to the market niche being focused on?
            Yep, and they meet reality, not fantasy expectations.

Too many times testimonials do come out fake. Some try to come across as, "I'm a total n00b but I got this product working", only to find the guy also is a web host who writes his own scripts. A visitor who's investigating a pricey product is going to do a search about the rep of a company, and if they find testimonials don't match to what's listed, it translates to a lost sale.

Then when the competition sniffs a fake one out, they'll goto town eating it up, "THEY LIE!! HERE'S THE EVIDENCE!!" Which gets back threw whatever channels and the developer gets a rep hit. More lost sales.

It's why it's so important that the testimonials are real and they match the audience (n00b for n00b; guru for guru) -- because either the customer or the competition will do some investigating, and will turn up the goods. And bad goods don't sell.

Chris
            ~~~
            Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Are you suggesting that people like me who have a little more knowledge than a complete noob don't count?

I also want to make sure that you aren't under the impression that I am some sort of guru.

Sincerely,
              Gehanna

Comment

Nope. But I did say my original commentary was a "heads up".

Chris
                ~~~
                Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

LOL, I don't know whether I should take your comments as a compliment or an insult.

Please keep in mind that it doesn't require a degree in computer science to go to download.com and try out software.

While vBulletin's integrity is at stake so is mine. I have been working diligently, trying to establish an educational and service oriented business based in the health care industry. I am not the developer of the website being created for this purpose because I am a noob, albeit not a complete noob, when it comes to programming and development.

The last thing I need is for someone who presents himself as a representative of the vBulletin organization, with whom I have recently conducted a business transaction, to make me look bad. By no means is that any way to establish PR.

Sincerely,
                  Gehanna

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X