Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leased License

Hi,

I am thinking of running several forums provided the main forum I set up goes according to plan. Some of the forums will be experimental so I am happy to go with leased license. What are the technical differences between installed owned and leased license, also, what are the technical issues involved in transferring from leased to owned license. Someone in another post said it is more problematic but I would have thought that it is only a payment issue - i.e. all software installed, configuration etc is identical?

Also, I assume full manipulation of code etc is the same with leased license - it is very important that I know if there are ANY differences in these so I would be very grateful for any advice. Also, I appreciate how responsive this forum has been, one of the reasons I am purchasing vBulletin.

Many thanks,
    Kind Regards,
    Raheel

The only real difference between the leased and the owned license is the ammount of time you are allowed to run vBulletin. Leased is year to year, Owned is forever.

As far as moving from leased to owned, if within the first 30 days you want to do so its an additional 85 dollars, after that its 160.

Comment

Didnt steve say it was 80 to upgrade?

Comment

You can upgrade from a leased to an owned license for an additional $85 if you do so within 30 days of the purchase. After 30 days, it is full price.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

What about when the lease is up for renewal in a years time? Is it then the full cost to then purchase or is there an "upgrade to owned" special price?
          From what I understand of the above comments the cheaper upgrade price window is only when you first purchase the lease?

Comment

If you have purchased a Leased license, and it expires, you have to pay $85 (full price) to be allowed to use it. So yes, it's full price after it expires.

It isn't exactly cheaper to upgrade to an Owned license, since if you do the math (85 + 85 = 170) and costs more than the actual Owned license if you buy it first. Why that is, I don't know.

In the long run, getting an Owned license is cheaper. In case the first site doesn't work out, you can just change the URL in your cutomer information and use the forum elsewhere.

All up to you, of course.
            Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

Onimua, its another 85 because of processing and administrative fees

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                Ah, okay then. Thanks for explaining the reason.

Comment

I'm considering getting a leased license in a few months. vBulletin is my fave software, especially since I am a member on a few forums that use it. Currently, I have a forum running on SMF. What is the admin demo about?

Comment

The Admin Demo basically allows you to do a private test run on one of Jelsoft's servers for the duration of one day. It allows you to get the feel of how vBulletin works from the admin standpoint
                    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                      You can upgrade from a leased to an owned license for an additional $85 if you do so within 30 days of the purchase. After 30 days, it is full price.
                      and:

Originally posted by Zachery
                      At the risk of sounding stoopid; can we clear this up further? I seem to see conflicting answers. Is Steve actually incorrect then? I refer an upgrade to owned in one years time, not "...within 30 days of the purchase".

So to spell it out:
                      1. I buy the leased version only now for $85.00US (because its more affordable at present, and I don't know if the site will take off so perhaps some less $$ outlay).
                      2. In a years time; the lease comes up for renewal; can I then pay just $85.00 to convert my site to a full ownership of the software??
                      Or is it then the full $160.00US to convert leased to owned? If so then I would not take this route; so a definitive answer from a vBulletin sales rep would be nice.

Thanks!

Paul

Comment

After the first 30 days, it will cost the full 160 dollars to upgrade to an owned license from a leased license. Just like steve and myself have said

Comment

Ok thank you fr clearing that up. Makes sense to just pay full price immediately so that's what I shall do.

Cheers for the prompt reply!

Comment

Originally posted by Gromits
                            Ok thank you fr clearing that up. Makes sense to just pay full price immediately so that's what I shall do.

Cheers for the prompt reply!
                            Exactly. Or, you could do as I did. Lease the license, with the intention of upgrading within 30 days. But.....get lazy and forget about it, let the 30 days expire....

Ah well, gotta pay $160 when the year is up
                            www.clubracer.net

Skin design by: www.vbskinworks.com

Comment

Well, vBulletin does send you an e-mail letter you know (I think ten days before or so) that you still have time to upgrade your Leased license to Owned.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X