Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin and Yahoo Merchant Solutions

Hello,

I am thinking of adding a bulletin board to my site and have a few questions:

Has anyone installed vBulletin on a Yahoo Merchant Solutions platform, using the store editor?

How easily indexed are the pages? I will be using this to attract potential customers to my site.

Is vBulletin easily modified to reflect the feel and style of a site?

Thank you ahead of time for your help, PhPbb comes with the Yahoo store, but I have major concerns about its security.

Mike

Originally posted by newby
    Has anyone installed vBulletin on a Yahoo Merchant Solutions platform, using the store editor?
    I do not have experience of using Yahoo!'s business services for hosting, but if I'm looking at the correct merchant hosting/service plans (http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/merchant/compare.php), you have MySQL, PHP and FTP available, so basically any of the three current vBulletin versions available should work with the service. The store editor isn't used for it, as vBulletin is an independent script.

However there's a small caveat. The PHP and MySQL versions offered by your Yahoo! service are very legacy and thus vBulletin's newer incarnations use legacy support to work with them. So some newer search functionality regarding MySQL 4.1 will not work. Also MySQL 3.x and older PHP versions pose a possible security risk, as those are no longer supported by the vendors. Especially in terms of MySQL, I wouldn't go with a web hosting provider offering anything lower than 4.1. 4.0 is managable.

To assure you: It will most likely work, but for better and safer performance, it's my advice to look for a hosting provider that can provide newer versions of MySQL and PHP.
    How easily indexed are the pages? I will be using this to attract potential customers to my site.
    vBulletin comes by default with a search engine friendly archive. You can see it in action on this site.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/archive/
    Is vBulletin easily modified to reflect the feel and style of a site?
    If you know HTML and CSS, then yes. To an extense it can be done without that kind of skills (far better than what other forum scripts can be modified in looks with a turnkey level solution), but for more advanced levels of customisation, hire a web designer or learn yourself web standards and how stuff works.
    Thank you ahead of time for your help, PhPbb comes with the Yahoo store, but I have major concerns about its security.
    Yes, my advice is to avoid phpBB for serious websites, because unfortunately phpBB 2.x is a poor performer in terms of security. Maybe a good example of this is that they've had multiple times go back in recent months to fix the 2.x version with functions from the development version of the script.
    "I believe each individual is naturally entitled to do as he pleases with himself and the fruits of his labor, so far as it in no way interferes with any other man's rights." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Just checked a few things, so making an additional remark. Right now MySQL 3.x might cause known compatibility issues, so your Yahoo! solution might not support vB right now, if an issue like the one mentioned here occurs.

So as said, I recommend considering using a more up-to-date hosting solution. You most likely anyway find a better deal elsewhere with those prices.
      "I believe each individual is naturally entitled to do as he pleases with himself and the fruits of his labor, so far as it in no way interferes with any other man's rights." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X