Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP Code integration

Hi,

We are aiming to start a website which will have a high level of customisation. To what extent can we add our own code to be integrated with Vbulletin. I would be grateful for the fullest explanation. Examples of things we would like to do include compiling metrics on thread information but also introducing unique ratings which users can place onto the system - e.g. to indicate ratings of other users in multiple categories. At this stage it could even be designed in a way of 'overlaying' the code so that the aspects of information that we wish to retrieve from a user can go into a secondary system outside of vbulletin if that is the only way to do this. Presumably the source code of the system is not available (i.e. to protect copyright infringement).

As this is an instrinsic aspect of our proposed system, we would be very grateful for your assistance and as much information as you can provide.

Kind Regards,
    Raheeel

vBulletin is Visible Source (not Open Source). This means that the php source is not encrypted and can be changed if you want. Changing the source, will ofcourse void your support.

In addition to changing the php sources, vBulletin also uses a Plugin system. This allows for custom coding to be executed on a few hundred predefined locations. More locations are added regularly. This code is loaded dynamicly at runtime, and most customisations can be done using this system.
    Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
    Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

You may want to browse some of the modifications over at vbulletin.org just to get a feel for what others have been able to do.
      Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

vBulletin Integration

Many thanks for your help. One part of vBulletin I am not to keen on is the fact that you have to put the text at the bottom of page "This bulletin is powered by vBulletin". Can this be removed. The reason for asking this is that we are going to quite a lot of customisation and don't want the forum to look like it's just been taken off the shelf - it's a branding / marketing logic - i.e. we want to be able to brand our site as we please.

This is possibly the only reason I am considering phpBB which doesn't appear to force you to do this and is free.

Comment

Originally posted by hennanra
          "This bulletin is powered by vBulletin". Can this be removed.
          You can if you purchase the branding free option.
          So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

Originally posted by hennanra
            This is possibly the only reason I am considering phpBB which doesn't appear to force you to do this and is free.
            It wouldn't be logical to go with phpbb if you want high levels of custom code, the reason being is that the source of phpbb was coded by a complete set of morons who don't know the difference between validation of == and === respectively when trying to check data that is supposed to SECURE your acp or what not.. Furthermore, phpbb does not have the plugin system that vB and ipb have as well as the acris type source comparision of templates, this allows for very fast upgrades with almost 0 downtime.

Comment

Many Thanks

Many Thanks all for your help, I am going to be purchasing vBulletin within the next few days. I viewed some forums comparing phpBB and vBulletin and realise that there is no comparison between the products and support.

Kind Regards,
              Raheel

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X