X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Since this is veering off-topic and is turning into a bashing session I'm closing this.

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB
    replied
    What makes me laugh about whitetigergrowl

Everytime he makes a reply it's never less that 200 words long

Leave a comment:

• Vtec44
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisLM2001
    Vtec, you care because on every vB vs. IPB thread -- you're there!! lol
    Damn! I can't even hide my love for vB. It's true Thank God WTG is not a vB fan, because he would make us look sooo bad!
    Last edited by Vtec44; Mon 14th Nov '05, 7:15am.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisLM2001
    replied
    Vtec, you care because on every vB vs. IPB thread -- you're there!! lol

That said, this will make someone a fine sig.

From Quentinq to WTG:

Honestly, your whole paragraph on how webmasters may wish to be removed from big-boards to save bandwidth and cost is so funny it should be shown in humor websites.
    Want an honest opinion about vB? Get it here straight from the source, not the hype (or what is illustrated above) even against internet convention!

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Vtec44
    replied
    Back to the the topic, I can careless for vB vs IPB argument. I pick vB because personally I think it's the best forum software out there. If someone asks me about it, I'd tell them the same. I just don't find it professional and respectful for an IPB fan that try to pretend the be a user of both, but with the intention of discrediting vB on its presale forum. That's just childish and desperate. IMHO of course
    Last edited by Vtec44; Mon 14th Nov '05, 7:15am.

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Butter
    replied
    Yeah I'm going to make my own forum software. I'll call it...oh wait...I don't know any php or anything

Leave a comment:

• ChrisLM2001
    replied
    For those who don't want to wade through a lot of posts, here's a priceless nugget from Matt (the Big Cheese of IPB) himself...

Interestingly enough, those products don't feature very highly on the Big-boards site. I suppose this means that those most popular doesn't always mean the most profitable.
    Ah....the products that were mentioned aren't going for advertizement at big-boards.com. I mean NASA wouldn't care about making the list!! lololol

Some forumware is special and aimed for the biggest corporations, and such organizations have special conditions placed on forumware -- a lot of customization. Furthermore, very few admins are going to fork over $$$$/year per server for a forumware. Only the corporate giants can <-- and they are indeed in a class to themselves.

For the rest of us, vB is the best forumware you can get, unless you can either make one yourself (good luck!) or fork over the mullah for a speciality forumware.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Butter
    replied
    rifk

Originally posted by http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=198228
    I mean VBullitin is just basicly phpBB with some other features,
    I laughed my ass off when I read that.

Bassically guys, there is little point arguing. You will always get IPB fanboys at the IPB forums bashing us, and we will always bash IPB here.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisLM2001
    replied
    Got to the WTG and Quentin debate.

Poor kitty..........

If anyone is wondering about the TRUE big board stats, take a look at this post by Quentin (the admin of big-boards.com)...

http://forums.invisionpower.com/inde...c=198228&st=60#

vB is on top with a w-i-d-e lead over IPB. Ironically, phpBB is even outdoing IPB.

>>>sizzle<<<

Chris

Leave a comment:

• ChrisLM2001
    replied
    Originally posted by ManagerJosh
    Actually he's currently sinking his teeth into Quentin over at BigBoards

Poor guy..

You can read his bites over at the other site... -> http://forums.invisionpower.com/inde...owtopic=198228
    Got to this so far...

IPB had competition when it was 1.3... when it was 2.0.x they had a little competition... but now with 2.1.x I think they're in a class of their own.
    And wondering what Kool-Aid they've been drinking....l

Ack...IPB needs a better designer too, since it's forumware looks CHEAP! It's like wicker furniture, compared to the construction of a Chippendale. It's 2D in a 3 1/2D world.

As for CSS/xhtml, this explains enough...

HTML Code:
    <td valign="top" class="post2">
    Need I say more????

Chris

Leave a comment:

• ChrisLM2001
    replied
    Originally posted by Gayble
    I have a vBulletin owned license and an IPB leased license, all I can say is I love vBulletin so much! Every penny I paid was ABSOLUTELY worth it!
    What I like is what's under the hood. Except for the CSS/xhtml (HINT, HINT), the php/javascript coding is superb. It's not ad hoc code from an open source project suffering from "too many fingers in the pie" syndrome. It's laid out nice and neatly, like Monday morning laundry.

How does that translate in being good? It tells you the fewest amount of fingers are dealing with the source code, and the ones that are elbow deep in it, they know what the other hands in the development are doing as well. So it's like instead of having 10 mechanics working on your car, there's but 3, yet all three can easily communicate to get the work done (not lose it in memos, and phone tag) faster and better.

So the praise isn't just with features, the praise is also there for the very "engine" that runs vBulletin: it's source code. It's tight, and even if you never have an interest in modifying it, you can appreciate it's orderly and not a mess (which even grandma understands a mess in the kitchen can cause problems).

Chris

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisLM2001
    Yep.

And he's missing in action, no hide or hair from him for two days.

Here, kitty, kitty, kitty...

Chris
    Actually he's currently sinking his teeth into Quentin over at BigBoards

Poor guy..

You can read his bites over at the other site... -> http://forums.invisionpower.com/inde...owtopic=198228
    Last edited by ManagerJosh; Mon 14th Nov '05, 3:05am.

Leave a comment:

• James B
    replied
    It's been a few months since I played with IPB, and tried it out as soon as it first came out for a year or two on my site.

Although back then I didn't know what I was doing - I did an upgrade and deleted all the users and posts.

We've had vB since February and I think it's fantastic. I much prefer the way vB works - like clicking the 'quote' button gets you the quote in a new reply. It's probably just me, but when I click it on IPB sites the button changes but does nothing else.

It's been very easy to customize, and the add ons are so easy to do - it's great!

Leave a comment:

• Gayble
    replied
    I have a vBulletin owned license and an IPB leased license, all I can say is I love vBulletin so much! Every penny I paid was ABSOLUTELY worth it!

Leave a comment:

• ChrisLM2001
    replied
    Originally posted by Vtec44
    I took it as an opportunity to let him know that I'm not going to stop. He's on here trying to instigate, because he rarely post anywhere but the Pre-Sale forum The post was more for him to read
    Yep.

And he's missing in action, no hide or hair from him for two days.

Here, kitty, kitty, kitty...

Chris

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X