Professional Installment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professional Installment

If i pay for professional installment, does this give me the domain and all of that? Im totally lost on that, and it seems like vBulletin is getting farther and farther away from being realstic to me.

No, the domain of your choice is not included, you need to sort that. I'm not sure what you mean about vB getting further away... if you purchase vB and the professional installation, then you get just that... vB and it installed on your servers.
    John

Comment

Because vBulletin is confusing as ****

Comment

Regardless of what forum software you opt for, you are going to have to get yourself some web hosting, a domain name, and then you are going to have to install whatever forum application software you get.

Why is vB so confusing? Installation is a breeze... modifying is a breeze, styling is a breeze... what are you having trouble with?
        John

Comment

Well, maybe this will help you understand why I'm confused. Only board I have ever used is .. invisonfree. I know nothing about domains, web hosting, installing it ect. Let alone, getting a database backup to convert to VB. So, what I meant when I said "it's getting farther away" is im getting more lost by the minute. I found out theres alot more then I thought.

Comment

... but that's what these forums are for... just shout. There are also loads of other forums where you can get free help and advice on all matters regarding vB, try;

www.vbulletin.org
            www.wbwebmaster.com
            www.best-board.com
            www.sitepoint.com

plus many more.

So, I assume you are considering purchasing vB yeah? Are you aware there is an Invision to vBulletin script available for you if you want to convert your IPB board to vB? Once you purchase a license it's free, as are many of the add-ons and hacks all over.

If you need help, please just ask, there are loads of peeps here who will help.
            John

Comment

You need to get web hosting, a domain (.com), and a copy of your forum data from InvisionFree.

Comment

We're a pretty helpful bunch and we can walk you through most of this.

1. You need a domain name like www.yoursite.com. Think of something that sounds good and then go to www.namecheap.com or www.godaddy.com to see if it is available. You can do that from thier front page. If it is available, you can then register the domain for a year for about $8 - $9 usd.

At the end of your registration there will be a place to enter a nameserver. You can, and will mostly need to, edit this later

2. You will need a place to host your domain and your forums. You can get hosting relatively cheap for a small starting site.

Some places you can get hosting at:
                - www.surpasshosting.com
                - www.site5.com
                - www.asmallorange.com
                - www.geekydesigns.com

Any of their plans should work for you while you get started and you can always upgrade to a higher plan later on if needed.

3. Once you choose a host and sign up, they will give you the basic info that you will need to get started.

- FTP username and password (this is for uploading files)
                - Mysql database name, username and password (this is something you will enter into your vbulletin config file using text pad. Very easy)
                - name servers (tells your domain where to go)

4. Purchase vbulletin and upload the files to server following the install instructions that are included.

Once you get to this point, we can help walk you through the process of restoring your invisionfree backup (you buy it from them) and importing it to vbulletin.

I think these instructions sound harder than it really is but this is good stuff for you to know.
                Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Well, I have already purchased my vBulletin and set it up thanks to the help of a very helpful guy on here! I am still waiting for invisonfree to send me my back up, and then I'm pretty sure I'll need help there. Do i have to pay for help w/ that? (Transferring my information from invisionfree to here. I have already paid for the back up.)

Comment

Originally posted by Blazingurlmc
                    Well, I have already purchased my vBulletin and set it up thanks to the help of a very helpful guy on here! I am still waiting for invisonfree to send me my back up, and then I'm pretty sure I'll need help there. Do i have to pay for help w/ that? (Transferring my information from invisionfree to here. I have already paid for the back up.)
                    Cool what's the address to your forum?
                    "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

If you already paid for the backup, then I believe at this point the rest of the conversion should be fair.
                      MTG Salvation.com | Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Blazingurlmc
                        Well, maybe this will help you understand why I'm confused. Only board I have ever used is .. invisonfree.
                        Why are you comparing a solution that is completely hosted by a third party to a forum you have to host for yourself? It should be self-evident that there is a lot more to consider if you want to take matters into your own hands in comparison to just registering an invisionfree forum.
                        No forum software solution in the world will have an option like "Click OK to register your desired domain, search for a fitting hosting solution and set everything up automatically".

Please forgive me my bluntness, but if you attack vB the way you did, you have to expect a response.
                        And by the way, writing everything in a bold font may be considered yelling.

Comment

Guys stfu, he got his board set up already

I helped him.

Comment

Hey Maybone someone can Help me Than

Hey Maybone someone can Help me Than

I asked for a backup it seems that they will give me a Sql based format back up ? (invisionfree)

Comment

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116494
                              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X