X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the difference over IPB?

Hi,

I wanted to see what members of this community thought were the big differences over IPB that VBullien has. Is VB any better, and if you think so, what features make it better?

Gamedev

Originally posted by Gamedev
    Hi,

I wanted to see what members of this community thought were the big differences over IPB that VBullien has. Is VB any better, and if you think so, what features make it better?

Gamedev
    I just can see you can't delete your posts on IPB.

Regards

Comment

http://www.big-boards.com/statistics

Better? That will depend on who you ask. But my personal opinion is yes, vB is better. Why? Proven reliablity on large forums.
      Last edited by Vtec44; Sat 5 Nov '05, 11:08am.
      So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

Originally posted by Vtec44
        Interesting info. You only refer to the people who use one or another forum.

Thanx for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by el admin
          Interesting info. You only refer to the people who use one or another forum.

Thanx for the info.
          That was to answer the author about what do I think is the big difference between IPB and vB. The answer is the number of large forums using vB.
          So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

Thanks for proving my point Vtech44. He wasn't interested in those statistics, but rather, what the differences are between the 2 boards. Maybe big-boards.com impresses you and is an easy sell, but for many others its just a pissing contest. (Spam your board with the 500 members or less you have, and you too can end up on Big-boards. It gives a false sense of activity. My forum has 1,339 members and 136,835 posts. Yet Flexbeta.net has 22,976 members and 86185 posts. And Flexbeta.net has been around much longer.)

See heres the thing. The LARGEST forum on big-boards.com, Gaia Online uses a free board (PHPBB--yes hacked to death, but its still PHPBB). So that proves PHPBB can also handle being large and having lots of activity....free board or not. Sure you could mention security....but the fact is, Gaia Online's core is still PHPBB and is subject to many of the same security issues at least to some extent. Many of those large forums are also using older versions of their software, such as somethingawful.com which still uses version 2.x of VB. Many have so many hacks and such installed, and so many members and posts to convert, it would be a monumental task to convert all of them and go through the trouble of re-installing hacks and such. So for many, if it ain't broke...don't fix it. Regardless of what they feel about other boards or even upgrading.

What it comes down to is what would work best for their members and them. You can give the false impression that just because you buy a VB board, your site could end up doing just as well as those on big-boards.com. When thats furthest from the truth.

What it comes down to is how the site is run and what it has to offer is what the determining factor is on how well the forum/site will do. I've seen boards that use VB and do well, then again I've seen sites using VB totally suck and have very few members OR posts. But I've also seen boards that have converted from one to the other and done better. (I.E. VB 3.5 to IPB 2.1 or IPB 2.1 to VB 3.5 as examples) You also fail to mention that at the time most of those large forums started, IPB wasn't even around or had just opened its doors. So thats not even a fair comparison.

Alot of it comes down to opinion. Some look at IPB's skinning system and cry. Some do the same for VB. No matter how you cut it, if you ever have to move from one board to another, there will always be a learning curve. Especially on the user end. They both have their pros and cons. And its best if you're gonna ask this question here, you also go to IPB and ask it there. Both IPB and VB have their laundry list of features that either need improvement or just plain suck. On the flip side they both have very good things about them and have just as long of a laundry list of good features. I prefer IPB 2.1's tabbed admin interface. Some like the VB admin interface. Its ENTIRELY OPINION AND IS NOT FACT. Try out both boards demos and go from there.

So, I would first ask, what are you looking to do with your forum? Are there any particular features you are looking for?
            Last edited by whitetigergrowl; Sun 6 Nov '05, 10:40am.

Comment

1. False activities or not, it shows vB's ability to handle the activities.

2. This is not about who has the largest board, but about "customer reference", a list of vB boards that are big. Please don't confuse that with your own intepretation. Can you imagine upgrading Gaia Online with all the hacks? With vB, upload the new files, run the install script, and you're done upgrading and keeping all the hacks

3. My forum gets about 1000 posts a day from 1200 users and not even one is spam (has nothing to do with this conversation but I just like to toss that in )

4. You're all worked up about things over the Internet LOL, take a deep breath.
              Last edited by Vtec44; Sun 6 Nov '05, 11:59am.

Comment

[quote=Vtec44]

1. False activities or not, it shows vB's ability to handle the activities.
                Yep, and Gaia Online shows PHPBB's too. In fact, there are many variables too. The type of server and webhost, user knowledge, and even sql optimization are factors in a boards performance. I've seen pretty much all of the boards work fine under pressure. Heck, just surf through Vbulletin and many of the problems usually come down to user error, or webhost/server issues.

2. This is not about who has the largest board, but about "customer reference", a list of vB boards that are big. Please don't confuse that with your own intepretation. Can you imagine upgrading Gaia Online with all the hacks? With vB, upload the new files, run the install script, and you're done upgrading and keeping all the hacks
                Sure, if you like overloading your server with queries. Like I've stated previously, the plug-in system is still flawed. You make it sound so simple. By execution it should be. But the fact I used just a few simple plug-ins and it slowed my board down, is not a good sign. Even though I'm on a good server. I know someone that was on a dedicated server and had only the shoutbox installed (VB 3.5), and it kept crashing the server and causing problems, yet it ran fine on my server. Yes, he had a dedicated server with 1GB of Ram and high system specs where he was paying about $200-$250 a month. I've seen what should be simple plug-ins drawing all kinds of queries. Add that on top of the queries Vbulletin has to do...and it gets ugly. Most of the plug-ins I've seen draw extra queries, and some, alot, even for the simplest plug-ins. I highly doubt someplace like Gaia Online would want to push the server and database more than it already is, by using plug-ins that help use more queries and strain the server more.

I'm not the only one saying this either. In theory its a good idea. In execution so far it's flawed. Partially due to the modding community, partially due to the fact I do not feel its finished on Vbulletins part and needs a serious overhaul. I've experienced nothing but problems with it, as have many others. And I've seen complaints about it on other forums/websites on the web as well. I wanted at least 3-5 simple plug-ins installed. I ended up with only a shoutbox. One plug-in wouldnt uninstall through the Product manager like it should have. The other slowed my board down to a crawl. And others kept putting their control panels above the default one, meaning I have to keep scrolling down to get to the default control panels because the plug-in ones have nowhere else to go. The list goes on. And what may work good in a controlled testing enviroment, usually gets pushed when in actual use. You are far more likely to draw many more queries if you have numerous people using it, versus just you and maybe 1 other person.

And I hope none of these hooks that are open could be used to secretly exploit the board or open it up to 'unfriendly' modders without the persons knowledge, so that what seems like a simple harmless nice plug-in, could do more damage or hide trojan horse of sorts by latching onto one of these open hooks and allowing a 'back door' of sorts into the board. I have no idea where these hooks are located, but I'm hoping Vbulletin took that possibility into consideration and closed those potential holes should there be any. Many people will just upload and go without paying attention to how the files are encoded. The simple user may not see some of these potential problems.

3. My forum gets about 1000 posts a day from 1200 users and not even one is spam (has nothing to do with this conversation but I just like to toss that in )
                What you consider spam, and what others consider spam are 2 totally different things. I consider spam anytime someone makes a short post. Such as, "Hi how are you?" or "Hi" or "Get real, it's fake.". Anything to me that doesn't constitute at least a full sentence or 2, constutues as spam. Some days my forum has 1500+ posts, some days less.

I'm not worked up. Quit assuming things or trying to read into them because thats the farthest from the truth.

Comment

vtec, don't mind white, he's just doing his normal trolling for IPB... its not as if its not alredy evident enough how he takes things out of context and place into his signature to confuse others about IPB and vBulletin...

As for Gamedev, sorry to make your presales thread look so messy... To answer your question, IPB and vBulletin are both great softwares. However, one thing -- in my view -- that truely separates vBulletin and IPB is customer support and stability. Stability have already been proven, look at big boards and or any other large popular forums and collect stats for yourself. Internet community speaks for itself, we don't need to go into details here to see which one is the better choice. As for customer support, up to this point in time, vBulletin have proven to have WAY superior customer support; afterall, who can say no about customer support often within minutes (don't believe it? Check the how-do-i forums here and see for yourself ). And vBulletin won't ever 'highly suggest you [cusomer] quietly fade away' as quoted in white's signature (if you want to read up the whole incident, I'm sure the search function from vBulletin would be a great friend).

But when it all boils down, it really depends on your personal preference. If you think other software is more suitable for your needs, then by all means, go and use them. If you're not happy with them in the short or long run, vBulletin will always welcome you with arms wide open
                  Best Regards,
                  Andy Huang

Comment

1. White, which plug in wouldn't uninstall and which one put your board into a crawl? I'd like to test it out, because just like how you said big-board.com stats is flawed but haven't given me a reason that I couldn't give you the counter point of view

2. You and I have the same definition of spam

3. You can change the display order of the plug in control BTW. Once again it's the user's lack of knowledge and as usual blaming the product.

5. Alfarin, thanks. I'm loving Mr Whitetigergrowl

6. GameDev, you asked and I answered you to the best of my PERSONAL knowledge of what I know

Comment

Originally posted by Alfarin
                      vtec, don't mind white, he's just doing his normal trolling for IPB... its not as if its not alredy evident enough how he takes things out of context and place into his signature to confuse others about IPB and vBulletin...
                      Yeah thats why I was talking about PHPBB this entire thread right?! Because I was trolling for IPB. Think about that and use common sense next time please. If a person can't have an opinion without being labeled, thats pretty sad. At least you did what should have been done in the first place, and thats answer his question, rather than just post a link HOPING you can sell him on something he never asked a question about in the first place. I use VB for my board...so thats why I promote IPB right? Makes zero sense. Think about it, and stop and realize you're trying to read too far into things that are opinions. I've said good and bad things about both boards. Both here and there. All you see is the word 'IPB' and assume thats what I'm doing, when I'm not. Explain then why I have a lifetime VB license. Something to ponder about. Just because to you VB is the holy grail of message boards, doesnt mean it is to others. You may see no problems with how some things are done or put together, but that doesn't mean others don't, and they are entitled to their opinion. Because in the end it helps make the software better. If it wasn't for the people that spoke up, Vbulletin and any other software maker out there would have very little reason to change.

Hey, if another member is allowed to dis IPB is his sig, then why can't I say something positive?! Or is that a crime now?

3. You can change the display order of the plug in control BTW. Once again it's the user's lack of knowledge and as usual blaming the product.
                      It's not the plug-in itself and how its displayed....it's the Control Panel that shows on the left with the other options, constantly pushing down the default vbulletin options. I've stated that numerous times. The plug-ins that have control panels have nowhere else to usually go it seems but on the left. It's horrid and there is no sense of control over where the modders place them.

I'll have to dig the mods back up, its been awhile, but I can point you to a few of them in a little while. Not like I have them laying around anymore. But like I also stated. As an example the shoutbox worked fine on my site, but kept killing the other webmasters...even though he was on a high end dedicated server. So results may vary.

Learn to read the first time, I'm not worked up. Quit assuming things or trying to read into them because thats the farthest from the truth. By doing so all you are doing is making the situation worse than it really is.

Honestly, if I was looking for information...and all I got was a link to a pissing contest, I would be disappointed. Especially seeing as how it never answered any of my questions. The best thing a member can do for a potential customer is to be non-biased and to answer their question directly, fairly, and to the best of their ability. Anyone saying that just because they are on a specific site means that members can't be non-biased, is not true. I've seen some really good members here that have shown non-biased facts, opinions, and leave them with a, "Regardless of what board you choose, we hope to see you back soon!" comment. It's a common courtesy and leaves a better taste in their mouth. And if big-boards.com is all someone has to go on....then maybe they don't know as much about VB as they think they do.
                      Last edited by whitetigergrowl; Sun 6 Nov '05, 9:44pm.

Comment

Control Panel that shows on the left with the other options, constantly pushing down the default vbulletin options.
                        Yes, you can change how and where it shows on the list.

I'll have to dig the mods back up, its been awhile, but I can point you to a few of them in a little while.
                        I won't be holding my breath (predicted that you'd give me this type of answer BTW )

Learn to read the first time, I'm not worked up. Quit assuming things or trying to read into them because thats the farthest from the truth.
                        It's called sarcasm, and I rest my case. You're too worked up and single minded to have a discussion.

Honestly, if I was looking for information...and all I got was a link to a pissing contest, I would be disappointed.
                        I was trying to answer the original question, until someone came in and started stuff (like usual). You're so predictable

I think this thread has lived beyond its purpose, please lock it! Thanks
                        Last edited by Vtec44; Sun 6 Nov '05, 11:05pm.

Comment

Originally posted by whitetigergrowl
                          See heres the thing. The LARGEST forum on big-boards.com, Gaia Online uses a free board (PHPBB--yes hacked to death, but its still PHPBB). So that proves PHPBB can also handle being large and having lots of activity....free board or not.
                          Oh, that was slick, but no cigar. Gaia's phpBB forum is in name only now, whatever it was as phpBB it's but a memory now.

They're very much up to converting to vB, or do what #23 dslreports.com did, create their own (<-- and that's written in Perl from a retired stock broker with an interest in broadband [and I tried to convert them, boy, have I tried!]).

So phpBB it's not, and couldn't be on the sheer scope of the size involved.

Chris
                          "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                          is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                          ~~~
                          Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Ok everyone, Can we please stop this and stay on topic- if you want to have a pissing fit, do it in PM andleave the Topics alone.
                            If you disagree with a statement, then say you disagree and leave it at that- this is not about personal choice, this is a VBulletin Pre-sales area and each member is entitled to their own opinion, but we don't need these worthless posts- especially those by WhiteTiger; who takes everything anti IPB personally and comes off as an (place your own word here).... IMHO; If you have something to say that doesn't answer the Question- then don't post. Private Messages are used here for a reason.
                            ________________________________________________________

To Answer your Question Gamedv,

I hold licenses to both Vbulletin and Invision Power Board, for my own personal tastes, the Vbulletin software beats IPB hands down, I find it to be more professional, easier to use, easier to skin- and Vbulletin has more hacks/ add-ons than IPB. Sure they have Invisionize- yet, when compared to the amount of hacks and add-ons available at VB.org, IPB has a small amount of hacks and a smaller percentage user base. (This is my opinion)
                            IPB does in fact have many features found in VBulletin... I'm just not impressed with it.

I will just say that it must be a personal choice, some love Vbulletin and some Love IPB, some Love PHPBB- I dislike IPB 100% of the way, I find it to be an unprofessional piece of software, one that is even beat by PHPBB- and this is my own personal opinion, and should not be considered a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Unexplained
                              Private Messages are used here for a reason.
                              Yes, apparently to be abused (even for offsite personal issues).

Chris
                              "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                              is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                              ~~~
                              Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X