Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of purchasing. Wondering if this is possible ...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of purchasing. Wondering if this is possible ...?

I'm making a guild website with a forum.
    I'll have my own website-db seperate from the forum-db.

What I want to do is: when a user signs in on my website, I want to retrieve their username/password from the forum-db. Reading the forum-db username/pw should be no problem, unless you encrypt the password, in which case I'm out of luck.

Then. Once the user has logged in on my website (using your forum's username/pw), I'd want your forum to consider them logged in.

The reasoning is I don't want my users to have to sign into the website, and then have to sign into the forum with the exact same info 30 seconds later...

Wondering if that's possible or been done as a mod (if you even have mods. haven't checked.)
    I don't want to spend 7 months and 4,000 cups of coffee pouring through your code trying to figure it out myself.

Thanks for any assistance.
    Last edited by m85021; Tue 1 Nov '05, 1:13am.

Hi m85021

vBulletin actually doesn't encrypt the password, but rather it hashes it.
    The password stored in the database us hashed like this:
    md5(md5( password ) . $salt)

If you need help with integrating your frontpage with vBulletin, I recommend you post at www.vbulletin.org
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Thanks for the quick answer. Right after posting, I found the .org, and after the all-friendly search button, I think I answered my own question.

credit card forth-coming.....

Comment

One more quick questions b4 purchase...

If this new guild nose-dives in 3 months (as they sometimes do...), will it be against the license agreement to uninstall from that site and use the remaining time on my personal site?

Just curious.

Comment

Yes, you can change sites, as long as you only run vBulletin on one site at a time and you make sure that the URL youhave to input in the members area is correct.
          Best Regards
          Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

I have a question that is similar, but not exactly... LOL

I own a website that is "sister sites" with another. We intertwine quite a bit of content and our design is the same, other than the logos and colors. Before I ask this question it is important to note that I have NO PROBLEM and already PLAN to purchase a completely separate license for the second website.

What I would like to do is twofold:

1) I'd like to import my users into the forums that I install on the second site

2) I'd like to be able to have one sign in for both sites.

Does that make sense? So if MemberJoe signs in to "Site A" and browses around, posts a few times, then visits "Site B" he would automatically be signed in and wouldn't have to do it again.

Is there a way to do this??

Again, I'm going to purchase the second license, that is definitely not a problem

Comment

You can't share logins between two separate forums like that. Hacking and/or integration is required. For help with this I recommend you post on www.vbulletin.org, but it is probably going to be hard.

Comment

Thank you for the response Do you think that there's some sort of alternative? I'll post on vb.org like you suggested.

Another question though, is there a way to download all users and passwords and upload them to the new set of boards so all those users don't have to re-register on the second site?

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
                You can't share logins between two separate forums like that. Hacking and/or integration is required. For help with this I recommend you post on www.vbulletin.org, but it is probably going to be hard.

Comment

Originally posted by FamilyCorner
                  Thank you for the response Do you think that there's some sort of alternative? I'll post on vb.org like you suggested.
                  Just an FYI for anyone else looking for something similar. I found this, and am still looking into it
                  http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...010#post832010

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X