X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reeve of Shinra
    replied
    I think this discussion has degenerated enough from the initial posters inquiry? How about taking this debate to PM?

Leave a comment:

• whitetigergrowl
    replied
    Yeah, its all one big conspiracy. *rolls eyes*

See, I haven't treated any of you with the disrespect you have treated me. I haven't called you any names, and I haven't belittled you in any ways, let alone make disrespectful remarks towards any of you even if I disagree with what has been said.

Also, at IPB I have been critical with them on various things. And unlike here, even when I did, I didn't get treated like **** for doing it by the other members. I have made posts about just VB here being critical of such things as the quick edit and plug-in system, and I STILL get chastized for it. Just because its that certain forums community, doesnt do them any favors if they start treating each other like crap.

How the community treats other members of the community is also a big factor for many people. There could be potential clients reading these forums/posts as guests. They see how I get treated and might turn away, thinking, "Will I be able to voice my opinion without ridicule?". And if you don't think that has happened, then you're ignorant.

It's one thing to disagree with me. Fine. But its another to start degrading me just because you disagree. If someone comes here considering moving from IPB, you kiss their ass. But if they come here and start getting critical of even a few of VB's features, then you start getting critical of them. Yeah, its a forum thats pro-VB. No kidding. But in all fairness to the potential customer its best to have more than just sunshine pumped up their butt when they join. I wasn't lying about what I said about that other webmaster in my previous posts in this thread either. Unless of course you want me to lie and pump sunshine up your butt to make you happy.

So, what made me respond in this thread? It had nothing to do with IPB OR VB. And in fact, I wasn't originally going to respond until I saw this post:

Originally Posted by Vtec44
    Like you said, most top sites use vBulletin, so most likely that a regular Internet user is familiar with the interface. Familiar and easy to use interface can attract users. That was the reason why I picked vB over other other scripts. In addition to that, vB is has a clean interface, extremely flexible, and proven real world reliability. Oh, the support is awesome when you need it.

PS, I'm wating for whitetigergrowl to post his opinion and claim it as fact. LOL
    Yeah, like what he said was fact too. *rolls eyes* What he stated before making that comment about me was his OPINION.

Now explain why I would own both licenses if I hate VB. Explain why I'm using VB right now? And give it up with this stupid conspiracy theory crap too about me working for IPB or any crap like that. Its childish and is a 100% lie.

Leave a comment:

• adguru
    replied
    Originally posted by whitetigergrowl
    IMO, IPB and VB are the only 2 non-free forums that are worth it. WOWBB looks similar to VB, but I can't find the price justifiable. Free boards like PHPBB is plagued with problems, and Simple Machines is good...but has a ways to go yet. But is improving.

I've had extensive experience with IPB and VB and both are good. Although both DO have their flaws, problems, etc. when it comes to expanding beyond the basic forum structure. But as a BASIC forum, both are good.
    Dude, can you show me ONE single post in vB's pre-sales are that is pro vB and ONE single post of 'YOURS' that is PRO vB at IPB forums?

I have my serious doubt that you have the same license that IPB uses to study vB's code.

Originally posted by Vtec44
    Its funny how Mr whitetigergrowl likes to voice his OPINION regarding vB control pannel and how he THINKS it should be, but gets all upset about when others voice their OPINION and how they THINK it should be.

I THINK vB and IPB are on about the same level, just done in a in a different way because of personal preferences. What vB has over IPB are: The great support staff and proven real world reliability on large websites (check http://www.big-boards.com's top 25 sites). That's just my OPINION.
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...9&postcount=22

And oh, be sure to check out my last few posts about Mr. WHite on this page: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...=151079&page=5

Leave a comment:

• Vtec44
    replied
    It comes down to personal opinion. Just because Vtech44 claims something, it does not make it fact. Its HIS OPINION. And we don't know how experienced he is with other boards such as IPB or PHPBB. And claiming you know another board, but keep referring to an older version of it, definetly does not make you an expert. And here's a quote I found at a webmaster website that I agree 100% with:
    Once again, that's just YOUR opinion that you're stating. I've never claimed to be an expert on anything, not even vB, and always clearly clarify my position. I also have never stated the version or which of the software I used, and is using. So, is that just your assumption that tried on an older version? LOL Please point me to a post that I claimed to be an expert. I never try to pass on as an experienced user of both softwares so "my opinion is better than yours." LOL What I use is a simple statistic formular, like any other marketting research firms are using. If you can't handle that then too bad. The more you're arguing on an official vB forum, claiming to be a user of both vB and IPB, the more pathetic I see how IPB is.
    Last edited by Vtec44; Fri 28 Oct '05, 11:53am.

Leave a comment:

• whitetigergrowl
    replied
    IMO, IPB and VB are the only 2 non-free forums that are worth it. WOWBB looks similar to VB, but I can't find the price justifiable. Free boards like PHPBB is plagued with problems, and Simple Machines is good...but has a ways to go yet. But is improving.

I've had extensive experience with IPB and VB and both are good. Although both DO have their flaws, problems, etc. when it comes to expanding beyond the basic forum structure. But as a BASIC forum, both are good.

Leave a comment:

• NBSFlak
    replied
    I've used free software for years and they all strive to be more like Vbulletin. Security was probaby the biggest reason I switched, and now that I have I'm loving going through all the features and learning how to customize my site. Free forums are great but VB is MUCH better for more reasons than you can imagine.

Leave a comment:

• whitetigergrowl
    replied
    Originally Posted by adguru
    Don't worry about White... he is a serial troll here who has nothing to do but diss vB and praise IPB...

Just another thread to be closed because he chimed in. I reckon how long it is before his ass is banned from here.
    Originally posted by xjuliox
    So he's one of those that are jealous of vBulletin
    Yeah, which is why I have a lifetime license for it. I'm so jealous of VB, I have a lifetime license to run it. Makes zero sense doesn't it? I have every right to be critical of Vbulletin or IPB, and I have been following board rules. I've done the same thing on IPB's forums on other issues. So feel the love.

The majority of my posts here ARE NOT anti-VB. Go ahead, count them. And just because I say something in a boards favor or against it, doesnt mean I hate it. Why the hell else would I have the board if I didn't like it?! Get real. I've also posted support questions and thrown in help as well. And 9 out of 10 times its in response to what someone else posted. Its not like I'm starting up threads saying IPB RoXRZ. And just because I say something against a feature(s) on VB, does NOT mean I hate VB. I wish some of you would get that through your thick heads. Why would I have a lifetime license for VB if I was jealous of it or hated it? Makes ZERO sense. I have lifetime licenses for IPB and VB.

And hey, whats with the immature name calling? You don't see me calling you or ANYONE ELSE names. Just because you don't agree with what I say or do, doesnt make what you are saying or doing any better. As I stated, the majority of my posts are NOT IPB related. The only reason they have stuck out so much for some people is because in some way, shape, or form they stick out the most for some people. And just because you don't agree with me, also doesn't make what you are saying right anyways. If I can be mature about all of this without name calling and such, why can't some of you?
    Last edited by whitetigergrowl; Fri 28 Oct '05, 7:14am.

Leave a comment:

• xjuliox
    replied
    Originally posted by adguru
    Don't worry about White... he is a serial troll here who has nothing to do but diss vB and praise IPB...

Just another thread to be closed because he chimed in. I reckon how long it is before his ass is banned from here.
    So he's one of those that are jealous of vBulletin

Leave a comment:

• Reeve of Shinra
    replied
    In past posts, vb staff mentioned that the plug in system was released to more seemlessly integrate new products (CMS for instance) that would be selling. I heard that the bug tracker will take advantage of the plug in system when released but I am not sure if that will be a free product or not.

Since vb was adding in the hooks for thier own use, they took requests from the hacking community to see what hooks they needed for thier own modifications.

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB
    replied
    I never blamed VB for the plug-ins. I've even stated that in past posts. That comes down to the coders. However how the plug-in system is set-up is very poor.

As for testing on a test board, thats a controlled enviroment and does not reflect what will happen on a production board. Obviously you will not find out it's server load, bugs, and such until it's actually being used by numerous people in numerous conditions and enviroments.

Every situation is different. I have IPB 2.1.2 running on my website, along with VB 3.5 final. VB 3.5, especially with plug-ins, has added many more queries to the server and has been more server intensive than IPB 2.1.2. And they BOTH have mods attached to them. And like I said previously, the webmaster of a 'rival' website has VB 3.5 final running as his main forums. He has a few plug-ins installed. However those plug-ins caused his server to crash (and this has almost happened a few times with my site with the plug-ins), and for awhile his site was forced down and he had to strip VB 3.5 down and shut off his plug-ins in order to get things back up and running. In fact, he's looking at switching to IPB and has a poll going on for his members. Of course you'll see people make the same claims about various versions of IPB.

The plug-in system is only as good as the coders make it. And if they release plug-ins that crash servers, add numerous queries to the server, can't be uninstalled, etc., then people will reflect that back to VB. Even inadvertantly. On a basic level Vbulletin 3.5 is fine. However many want to add the various plug-ins, not realizing what that plug-in can do in an actual working enviroment and not a test one. Sure it might work great with a few people testing it, but then the rest of the board starts testing it and all kinds of issues pop up. I've said it once and I'll say it again, the plug-in system needs help. Great idea, poor overall execution.

But this isn't about IPB OR VB. It's about the fact that every situation is different. I can strip VB and IPB down to the basics or I can pimp them out. It doesn't matter. What matters is how the board handles those changes.
    One thing I would like to ask after reading this is - seeing as vBulletin themselves created the plug-in system. Do they have any plans themselves to start releasing offical vB plugs-ins for there own system. Or was this system simply added for 3rd party plug-ins.

Because when I heard that vB 3.5 was coming with a new plug-in system, I kind of thought this would mean vB are going to start releasing there very own offical plug-ins to support this idea for vB 3.5.

Leave a comment:

• adguru
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Xplorer4x4
    replied
    The way i see it, the larger the hacking community is, the worse the actual software is. If your software lacks so many features that people need to go to 3rd parties to fill that void, The software developer is doing something wrong.
    I am not sure hwo said that but that is ridiculious IMHO. Nothing is ever perfect and there is always room for imporvment on any product.

Moving on... the other night I decided to runa an IPB Admin CP demo. I must say I was really disapointed. From all I could see the standard IPB was not that more advanced then InvisionFree. Why pay for a product that is barley better then a free version. I am sure there were stuff I was over looking but vB is by leaps and bound the best thing out there.

I think vB has a some what steap learning curve, but it is worth it. Set up a test board so you can freely expirament and you will pick it up in no time. I have leanred so much in the 6 months I have had vB and I refuse to setlle for less if I am running a forum.

Plus IPB isn;t worth the money seeing as how they claimed they would always be a free software...that's funny cause last time I checked IPB costs money.

However how the plug-in system is set-up is very poor.
    Well this is the first release of the plug in system too. So I am sure that the plug in system can only be enhanced from this point on, but I do agree it is some what sloppy. However between Kirby's Enhanced ACP Navagation hack and the Plug In Manager hack released by Reaven I find the plug in system more efficent except for a small bug in Reavens product.

And Holy SH*T A support response in one freaking minuete. That is service!
    Last edited by Xplorer4x4; Thu 27 Oct '05, 9:56pm.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Sounds like the plugins you are using are either badly coded, or somthing. I have plugins running on most of my sites without any issues.

The plugin system itself is not going to cause any additional querys, etc, bad code does that.

Leave a comment:

• whitetigergrowl
    replied
    Originally posted by MarcoH64
    You can not blame vBulletin or Jelsoft for badly coded plugins (would be like blaming PHP or MySQL). Yes there are many plugins released, and some will be better coded then others. You should be aware of this as a webmaster and test modifications on a testboard first.

Personally i don't 100% agree with the quote you're giving. In an ideal situation this would be true. But in real life this can only be done with costum software specifically written for you as webmaster, or with software that has only a limited and clearly defined function.

If you create general software like Bulletin Board software, it is simply impossible to create standard software that will fit the needs of every webmaster. And even if you would try that, you would be creating a monstrum that would be very resource intensive and has more chance of bugs, simply because of the size of the source code.

Take default vBulletin and it will just do perfect what it is designed for: create a bulletin board.
    I never blamed VB for the plug-ins. I've even stated that in past posts. That comes down to the coders. However how the plug-in system is set-up is very poor.

As for testing on a test board, thats a controlled enviroment and does not reflect what will happen on a production board. Obviously you will not find out it's server load, bugs, and such until it's actually being used by numerous people in numerous conditions and enviroments.

Every situation is different. I have IPB 2.1.2 running on my website, along with VB 3.5 final. VB 3.5, especially with plug-ins, has added many more queries to the server and has been more server intensive than IPB 2.1.2. And they BOTH have mods attached to them. And like I said previously, the webmaster of a 'rival' website has VB 3.5 final running as his main forums. He has a few plug-ins installed. However those plug-ins caused his server to crash (and this has almost happened a few times with my site with the plug-ins), and for awhile his site was forced down and he had to strip VB 3.5 down and shut off his plug-ins in order to get things back up and running. In fact, he's looking at switching to IPB and has a poll going on for his members. Of course you'll see people make the same claims about various versions of IPB.

The plug-in system is only as good as the coders make it. And if they release plug-ins that crash servers, add numerous queries to the server, can't be uninstalled, etc., then people will reflect that back to VB. Even inadvertantly. On a basic level Vbulletin 3.5 is fine. However many want to add the various plug-ins, not realizing what that plug-in can do in an actual working enviroment and not a test one. Sure it might work great with a few people testing it, but then the rest of the board starts testing it and all kinds of issues pop up. I've said it once and I'll say it again, the plug-in system needs help. Great idea, poor overall execution.

But this isn't about IPB OR VB. It's about the fact that every situation is different. I can strip VB and IPB down to the basics or I can pimp them out. It doesn't matter. What matters is how the board handles those changes.

Leave a comment:

• Raydar
    replied
    I have had a look at the admin panel and have to say that it appears very impressive. I'm definately getting VBulletin.

One of the first things I want to do with VBulletin is put our site banners at the top and bottom. I did a search on how to do this and found lots of discussion about third party programs etc. Are these propgrams simple to use. And to someone starting out, what would be the simplest way to do install banners?

Thanks

Reg

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X