Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zachery
    replied
    Jive and Lithium are both Java based systems, and are of huge enterprise scaling, chances are a Jive/Lith board could handle a few million users online at once on a single sun java server (of course that server would have 16 processors.

Leave a comment:

• jamesyfx
    replied
    I dont get why these companies go for the most expensive stuff.. so they realise they're just getting ripped off? >.>

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Originally posted by Aerith_Freak
    Lithium Board (used by a lot of incredibly large companies such as Sony and Nintendo) costs well over $1000.
    Per month and per user.

Don't forget Jive as well.

Leave a comment:

• Aerith_Freak
    replied
    Originally posted by mfizzel
    Show me the forum systems that cost that much, I haven't come across them myself, I'm curious
    Lithium Board (used by a lot of incredibly large companies such as Sony and Nintendo) costs well over $1000.

Leave a comment:

• Vtec44
    replied
    Show me the forum systems that cost that much, I haven't come across them myself, I'm curious
    Someone posted a link in the "Chit Chat" forum a couple of weeks back. It runs on Oracle backend.

Leave a comment:

• TCM
    replied
    I forgot which they were, but I've seen them before, and they suck, even if they cost less than vB.

Leave a comment:

• mfizzel
    replied
    Originally posted by corollasbest
    vB is dirt cheap. I've seen some forum systems that cost $500-$1000 and they're not any better.

Leave a comment:

• jamesyfx
    replied
    You can never be sure with free software.

I mean, you wouldnt go to a shop and pick up forum software on CD for free (if it were), you'd want to buy one. >.>

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    If the software was free we wouldn't put security and feature balanced against usability and performance high on our priority list, perhaps we would not even give support or at least not for free. Who knows where we'd have been then.

Leave a comment:

• KimmiKat
    replied
    Floris is correct. $160 is a good price point. Purchase 3 or more and it get's a little cheaper per license. Having a single tooth pulled costs almost twice as that and you have nothing to show.

If the software was free, you wouldn't have all the developments and new features the board has and probably still be on version 2 only or maybe non-existent.

Originally posted by Floris
    We believe we have selected a price valued low enough to also reach consumers and not just commercial companies. The $160 is a one time fee, for the owned license, which allows you to run the forum software forever. We can not offer you the software for free, nor can we offer you a discount.

Leave a comment:

• georgec
    replied
    I think it really depends on whether you anticipate your forum being adopted/used by your visitors. If so, $160 in exchange for a community is a deal of a life time. On the other hand, I see quite a few webmasters taking the plunge to buy a forum software only to have it be empty with no activity whatsoever. Then it becomes a waste, and vBulletin from that perspective can be considered an expensive lesson, but that has nothing to do with whether vBulletin is worth it, which it certainly is. You just need to evaluate whether you need a top notch forum software at this point, or go with a free one until you know your forum's going to get some activity.

Leave a comment:

• Blootix.com
    replied
    If you are planning to pay, vBulletin is not really that expensive. Of course, if you compare it to free software, its expensive. But out of all the paid/commercial software, vBulletin's price is quite reasonable.

Leave a comment:

• Danieldude
    replied
    I think the prices are quite reasonable...
    Last edited by Danieldude; Wed 19th Oct '05, 7:18pm.

Leave a comment:

• TCM
    replied
    Originally posted by derekivey
    I also bought my owned license when I was 14, I bought it with my own money, my parents didn't even buy it for me... It's not expensive at all.
    What he said.

Leave a comment:

• derekivey
    replied
    I also bought my owned license when I was 14, I bought it with my own money, my parents didn't even buy it for me... It's not expensive at all.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X