how many GB do I need and what for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many GB do I need and what for

sorry for the newbie question, but do i need alot of GB. and what is it used for? like PMs or total posts, I dunno?

the basic installation is 8.6 Megs, and the first database install is about 3Megs, containing the templates, phrases and setting for the default look you see here...

with about 100 000 small messages(posts, pms, etc) without attachments, a board can be around 100Megs... it all depend on the content of the threads, discussions and files uploaded to a site...

you will have a lot of forums with a minimal host be happy, and some others with mega sized hosts that have difficulties to suite the needs of their users...

btw, take a host that will not force you to pay for one year, so you can change the services you're on... (and take a host that have a vbulletin board as their forum, it proves you that it works on their server)
    oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

While a good amount of physical storage space is required, most hosts easily give you several gigs of storage.
      Forums

Comment

Most good hosts (asmallorange, surpass hosting, etc) will let you upgrade your plan as your site grows - so if your not sure, start off with the smallest package and just keep an on eye on disk space and bandwidth as you grow.
        Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
          Most good hosts (asmallorange, surpass hosting, etc) will let you upgrade your plan as your site grows . . .
          Shinra, can't figure out where surpass is located. Their 'about us' page is 'under construction'??? So you would consider 2gig disk space about absolute min for VB to even run. 10gig a good starting point??
          On a 'shared plan' I understand CPU RAM usage can become more of an issue depending on how many users are logged online at any one time - any observations about 'limits' you could share??

Rabbit

Comment

Good grief, 2gig disk space to start out with? Try 200Mb to start out with. Unless you mean bandwidth, in which case 2Gb will see you fine to start with. It really depends on so many variables it's difficult to say what your usage will be unless you have an idea of the number of users you will have.

Comment

Unless you intend to have an extremely busy forum, you won't hit 1GB for at least 2 years.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X