This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whitetigergrowl
    What features are it lacking compared to VB? It has the plug-in system (since 2.0). It has Ajax and inline moderation. All of the stuff some vb fans like to tout. I hate vague comments like that. Why even make them if you aren't going to back them up? Should the IPB fanboys start freaking because they had things such as the plugin system quite awhile ago AND it's implemented better?!

As well, I see you joined their forums Oct. 4th. And have made a whole 2 posts. Not quite showing any of what you claimed. (BIG IPB conspiracy coming...) If thats about the time when you bought the license, thats not quite a month. I visit their forums (and VB's) almost daily. The 'posting privledges being revoked' situation, I have not seen. Besides, how would you know of such a thing unless you are in a position of power? Not like that would get publicized. Remember, if their privledges have been revoked, how could those people post about it there? Also, some of the threads being locked were going nowhere or were creating a hostile enviroment. VB has done the same for such situations.

As for IPB amatuerish. Thats funny. You obviously haven't spent as much time with VB 3.5. The plug-in system is a great idea (old idea though), but has been poor in execution. Install numerous plug-ins that have their own control panels, and they move all of the default control panels down, while they sit at top. Blame the modders, I blame lack of plug-in control. There was also a plug-in I couldn't uninstall, even though it was through the product manager. Sure the option was there. But it would never fully uninstall. And this was in 3.5 final. Also, some plug-ins have also slowed boards down dramatically, or fubar'd them. (Mine was almost one. And yes, that was following directions.)

The 3.5 quick edit system sucks. Why should I go through one option, to get to the advance edit mode? With IPB you get an immediate choice. With 3.5 if you want to advance edit a post, you need to open quick edit first, THEN click on advanced edit. Makes zero sense. The list goes on.

As for the skinning, that all depends on the person. I have no problem with either of the boards. (For those that don't know, I have lifetimes to both boards.) In fact, I found IPB 2.1's to be easier to do than VB's, with more options. Others have too.

I also do not like the fact that VB seems to rely more heavily on its modding community for board features such as multi-quote or rss feeds. Remember, if a mod coder drops his pet project, and it does happen, and if no one else can pick that up, you may be screwed for future updates AND support for it. Not only that, but I have come across numerous plugins that have been poorly coded and either slowed down (mine and others) sites, or broke the board. Mine included. And yes, thats after installing the plug-in as stated. I've asked for support there numerous times on numerous things, and half the time I'm lucky to either get it, or for an upgrade to happen that fixes the problem.

IPB has also been more open about its developments than VB. What about that OFFICIAL CMS? Or Gallery? Good luck finding anything out. Thats been tossed around for years. Some people still wanna believe its coming. Yeah...2010 if you're lucky at the current rate. When I saw IPB 2.1's feature list....then VB released VB 3.5's...I was underwhelmed. Why? Many of the features in VB 3.5 that were big news for the vb fanboys, were already on IPB 2.0 and going into 2.1. Anyone watching 2.1's feature list for at least the 6 months prior to VB 3.5 being announced, knew of these features. So I know when I saw the 3.5 list, I was underwhelmed and unimpressed.

So....what features does VB 3.5 have that IPB 2.1 doesn't? They both have ajax, inline moderation, plug-in system....etc etc. Mentioning things like how easy it is to skin, etc etc do not count. Why? Because thats opinion and not fact. I'm talking strictly board features.

I also can't seem to understand why VB announces things AFTER IPB. Never understood that. I'd like to see VB announce VB 4 or something (and some of its features) BEFORE IPB 3 when that time comes.
    Why would I make comments, if I don’t back them up with pages and pages, or lines and lines of wording? Because, I don’t wish to bore people to death- as you have done to me, after reading all that, and nothing interesting to read at that- just some gibberish, about how you feel this is that, and that is this.
    What I said, was my opinion, and it appears you don’t like people disagreeing with you. What gives me the right to say this and that about IPB- how dare I! Dude, take a chill pill and relax, before you give yourself an aneurysm- if you haven’t already.

As far as people having their posting privileges taken away, it isn’t talked about on IPB, but is widely known and accepted as a tactic they use, to shut up people- do a search on Google and you will find several communities that discuss this.

The owner even said to one member, “I highly suggest you fade away” – or something to that extent. I have spent as much time with Vbulletin 3.5 as anyone else has, I was a member here under a different name (Multimedia64.com – formerly IW) and used 3.5 since the first beta- so I have several months of experience with it. Oh, and if you don’t like that I have pretty much skipped over most of your questions, what do I care- don’t come across as an ass next time, and perhaps I will answer them.
    Last edited by Above Top Secret; Wed 12 Oct '05, 10:34pm.

Comment

Now that we are hopefully done acting like children, get back to the topic at hand- this was totally uncalled for. IMHO

Comment

One more topic gonna get locked i think

Comment

Originally posted by whitetigergrowl
          What features are it lacking compared to VB? It has the plug-in system (since 2.0). It has Ajax and inline moderation. All of the stuff some vb fans like to tout. I hate vague comments like that. Why even make them if you aren't going to back them up? Should the IPB fanboys start freaking because they had things such as the plugin system quite awhile ago AND it's implemented better?!

As well, I see you joined their forums Oct. 4th. And have made a whole 2 posts. Not quite showing any of what you claimed. (BIG IPB conspiracy coming...) If thats about the time when you bought the license, thats not quite a month. I visit their forums (and VB's) almost daily. The 'posting privledges being revoked' situation, I have not seen. Besides, how would you know of such a thing unless you are in a position of power? Not like that would get publicized. Remember, if their privledges have been revoked, how could those people post about it there? Also, some of the threads being locked were going nowhere or were creating a hostile enviroment. VB has done the same for such situations.

As for IPB amatuerish. Thats funny. You obviously haven't spent as much time with VB 3.5. The plug-in system is a great idea (old idea though), but has been poor in execution. Install numerous plug-ins that have their own control panels, and they move all of the default control panels down, while they sit at top. Blame the modders, I blame lack of plug-in control. There was also a plug-in I couldn't uninstall, even though it was through the product manager. Sure the option was there. But it would never fully uninstall. And this was in 3.5 final. Also, some plug-ins have also slowed boards down dramatically, or fubar'd them. (Mine was almost one. And yes, that was following directions.)

The 3.5 quick edit system sucks. Why should I go through one option, to get to the advance edit mode? With IPB you get an immediate choice. With 3.5 if you want to advance edit a post, you need to open quick edit first, THEN click on advanced edit. Makes zero sense. The list goes on.

As for the skinning, that all depends on the person. I have no problem with either of the boards. (For those that don't know, I have lifetimes to both boards.) In fact, I found IPB 2.1's to be easier to do than VB's, with more options. Others have too.

I also do not like the fact that VB seems to rely more heavily on its modding community for board features such as multi-quote or rss feeds. Remember, if a mod coder drops his pet project, and it does happen, and if no one else can pick that up, you may be screwed for future updates AND support for it. Not only that, but I have come across numerous plugins that have been poorly coded and either slowed down (mine and others) sites, or broke the board. Mine included. And yes, thats after installing the plug-in as stated. I've asked for support there numerous times on numerous things, and half the time I'm lucky to either get it, or for an upgrade to happen that fixes the problem.

IPB has also been more open about its developments than VB. What about that OFFICIAL CMS? Or Gallery? Good luck finding anything out. Thats been tossed around for years. Some people still wanna believe its coming. Yeah...2010 if you're lucky at the current rate. When I saw IPB 2.1's feature list....then VB released VB 3.5's...I was underwhelmed. Why? Many of the features in VB 3.5 that were big news for the vb fanboys, were already on IPB 2.0 and going into 2.1. Anyone watching 2.1's feature list for at least the 6 months prior to VB 3.5 being announced, knew of these features. So I know when I saw the 3.5 list, I was underwhelmed and unimpressed.

So....what features does VB 3.5 have that IPB 2.1 doesn't? They both have ajax, inline moderation, plug-in system....etc etc. Mentioning things like how easy it is to skin, etc etc do not count. Why? Because thats opinion and not fact. I'm talking strictly board features.

I also can't seem to understand why VB announces things AFTER IPB. Never understood that. I'd like to see VB announce VB 4 or something (and some of its features) BEFORE IPB 3 when that time comes.
          Still being paid by IPB to plugin their stuff at vB forums eh white? Seriously, you never stop getting on my nerves.

Why not go troll on IPB's forum about how excellent vB is rather than do it here?
          =)

Comment

Originally posted by Unexplained
            Why would I make comments, if I don’t back them up with pages and pages, or lines and lines of wording? Because, I don’t wish to bore people to death- as you have done to me, after reading all that, and nothing interesting to read at that- just some gibberish, about how you feel this is that, and that is this.
            What I said, was my opinion, and it appears you don’t like people disagreeing with you. What gives me the right to say this and that about IPB- how dare I! Dude, take a chill pill and relax, before you give yourself an aneurysm- if you haven’t already.

As far as people having their posting privileges taken away, it isn’t talked about on IPB, but is widely known and accepted as a tactic they use, to shut up people- do a search on Google and you will find several communities that discuss this.

The owner even said to one member, “I highly suggest you fade away” – or something to that extent. I have spent as much time with Vbulletin 3.5 as anyone else has, I was a member here under a different name (Multimedia64.com – formerly IW) and used 3.5 since the first beta- so I have several months of experience with it. Oh, and if you don’t like that I have pretty much skipped over most of your questions, what do I care- don’t come across as an ass next time, and perhaps I will answer them.
            Unexplained, Don't worry mate. White is really a serial troller here so don't take him seriously.
            =)

Comment

Originally posted by Unexplained
              I was using the newest, and it lacks in features when compared to Vbulletin. It's skinning system is also lacking, I was attacked over at the IPB board for asking if/when the skinning system would be made to a more professional level.
              I don't find IPB complicated, just amateurish and I apologize to anyone who may have been offended by that remark.

I have a license that is about a month old, and I really loathe it due to it's lack of functions, lack of use friendliness and oh yes, large lack of customer support- when I was there, people were having threads locked, and their posting privileges revoked for no reason. That is not the kind of people, I wish to be around.
              I have never used IPB, nor visited their forums, however being a website designer myself I am part of a good few webmaster communities and I have to say that I have heard said about IPB is entirely in line with that. Primarily a very bad attitude among the IPB staff/heads of staff. And this is not from 'fanboys' of any other forum software, from people who own and administer IPB licenses themselves and know their stuff. I will not go into details here, but as someone has said a quick Google will show that it's certainly not unknown. Apparently they aren't too quick off the draw with reported security features either from what I have been told, the PR aspect is more of a concern (again, Google).

Incidentally, while that's nothing to do with the software per se, I do think it's a valid point to bring up as the supporting staff/community are an absolute essence of the software itself. When considering which to buy it was no contest, I'd heard enough to put me off IPB regardless of how good the software actually is. Maybe it is first with the latest and greatest features. I'd rather have a semi built on rock then a mansion built on sand.

Comment

Its funny how Mr whitetigergrowl likes to voice his OPINION regarding vB control pannel and how he THINKS it should be, but gets all upset about when others voice their OPINION and how they THINK it should be.

I THINK vB and IPB are on about the same level, just done in a in a different way because of personal preferences. What vB has over IPB are: The great support staff and proven real world reliability on large websites (check http://www.big-boards.com's top 25 sites). That's just my OPINION.
                So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

That ignore feature comes in so handy...

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23
                    That ignore feature comes in so handy...
                    I already am using it But unfortunately the quoted text is not censored.
                    =)

Comment

Ok, as this turned into yet another IPB vs the better solution thread.. thread closed. The pre-sales questions are answered.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X