This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MySQL Licensing

I'm not questioning the legality of vB, but more or less curious as to how vB fits into the MySQL licensing. (Or perhaps my misinterpretation of it.)

It states that any commercial application that uses MySQL (this includes distributing MySQL libraries or forcing the client to install MySQL libraries themselves, which is what vB's case is).

Now I know vB isn't GPL, but how is it that vB is able to bypass the MySQL commercial license (per server per year)?

Jelsoft are not suppling Mysql, just saying its a requirement.

Like a software supplier saying you need Microsoft Windows, to run their software

Comment

Ah yes... But this is taken straight from the MySQL Commercial license:
      Originally posted by MySQL Commercial License
      When your application is not licensed under either the GPL-compatible Free Software License as defined by the Free Software Foundation or approved by OSI, and you intend to or you may distribute MySQL software, you must first obtain a commercial license to the MySQL product.
      Typical examples of MySQL distribution include:
      • Selling software that includes MySQL to customers who install the software on their own machines.
      • Selling software that requires customers to install MySQL themselves on their own machines.
      • Building a hardware system that includes MySQL and selling that hardware system to customers for installation at their own locations.

Comment

You bolded the wrong part:

Originally Posted by MySQL Commercial License
        When your application is not licensed under either the GPL-compatible Free Software License as defined by the Free Software Foundation or approved by OSI, and you intend to or you may distribute MySQL software, you must first obtain a commercial license to the MySQL product.
        Jelsoft does not distribute mySQL. The mySQL license appears to be contradicting though.
        vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

I believe that his has been discussed several times in the past, and it was found that there is no license required...

However please note that my information may be wrong.

Comment

Ah, but I didn't bold the wrong part because it's exactly the point. I'll re-quote it:
            Originally posted by MySQL
            Selling software that requires customers to install MySQL themselves on their own machines.
            vBulletin is software being sold, and MySQL is required to be installed by the user.

Hopefully this can be cleared up.

Comment

That's why I said the licensing is contradicting itself, because just above that it says IF you intend to distribute mySQL.
              vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107079

Comment

heh learn something new

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X