Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why vBulletin cost so much money?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Gary Bolton
    Both have there pro's and con's against each other and both are good boards with a proven track record and good support.
    There is no comparison whatsoever in the level of support provided by IPB against that of vB.
    Homes-Spain

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by xXx2
      Hi.
      I'm Gil and I'm from Israel.
      in Israel most of people using IPB and PHPBB, 'cause they are free.
      Well, I have to say that vBulletin is very professional, But it also very expensive.

      Please, can you explain me why vBulletin is so expensive?

      TNX!
      wrong.. IPB costs 190 $ so it makes vbulletin cheaper

      phpBB is a swiss cheese.. full of holes
      StylWolny.pl - Polskie Forum Dyskusyjne | guziki wieszaki producent - Bonetti.pl
      Join Tattoo Group Now

      Comment


      • #33
        Ive read various reports on IPB v's vB's support. Each time vB's comes out best. I suppose this is going to be bias though being the reports are on forum. From my personal experiance the support here is better than any other software I use. I mean how do you support the thousands upon thousands of users? Luckly there is also quite a big fan base here so support can be given by users as well as the support team.

        Theres nothing worse than having a problem and not being able to get a responce quickly. Majority of email support you don't get replies for about 3-5 days, if your lucky!

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by xXx2
          Hi.
          I'm Gil and I'm from Israel.
          in Israel most of people using IPB and PHPBB, 'cause they are free.
          Well, I have to say that vBulletin is very professional, But it also very expensive.

          Please, can you explain me why vBulletin is so expensive?

          TNX!
          Some people think it should cost more. And it is dissenting opinions like this that make the world go round.

          Comment


          • #35
            For Jelsoft to allow discussion of competition, bar none, shows true professionalism.

            I hope you've made your decision.

            SK, I rarely use support... I think I logged two tickets so far dealing with some technical issues, but other than that, haven't. My max response time? 10 minutes. Even on a Saturday!

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by transverse
              For Jelsoft to allow discussion of competition, bar none, shows true professionalism.

              I hope you've made your decision.

              SK, I rarely use support... I think I logged two tickets so far dealing with some technical issues, but other than that, haven't. My max response time? 10 minutes. Even on a Saturday!
              hi trensverse.. you are doing great job, afficionado is one of the best skins i have seen
              keep up the good work!
              StylWolny.pl - Polskie Forum Dyskusyjne | guziki wieszaki producent - Bonetti.pl
              Join Tattoo Group Now

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by xXx2
                Hi.
                I'm Gil and I'm from Israel.
                in Israel most of people using IPB and PHPBB, 'cause they are free.
                Well, I have to say that vBulletin is very professional, But it also very expensive.

                Please, can you explain me why vBulletin is so expensive?

                TNX!
                Do you have any further pre-sales questions?

                Comment


                • #38
                  I dont think its expensive. well worth it :P

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by ]SK[
                    I was a big fan of phpBB. My forums started off as phpBB before I moved them to vBulletin. I know now though that if I am going to make another forum for another site I will go with vBulletin from the start. It's hard to explain how impressed I am with this software. 'Amazing' is one way of summing it up I guess.

                    I think if it wasn't such a professionals choice why would this be like it is
                    I know what you mean, it is hard to describe the feeling, I had the same experience, going from phpBB to vB and it means I can actually control the way the board works, and do it in a non-intrusive way, instead of my board members controlling it.
                    In phpBB you feel like your stuck in a really small glass bottle, unable to get out, with vB you feel like you've landed on a tropical island, the sky's the limit, the soft warm sand at your feet and the sun gleaming with a cool breeze from the south, you lie on the beach, waiting for the next wave to come and refresh your feet.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      IPB costs $185, not $190...

                      And if use the latest version of phpBB, you'll see that (currently), it's rather secure. Of course, older versions are in fact full of holes.
                      Forums

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        There has been an annoucment made on phpBB though were they are talking about hosts starting to take phpBB of there servers for fear of security issues if they host it (probabley because it always seems to be phpBB that get nuked buy hackers).

                        Here is announcement: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=304052

                        Checkout the reference to vB in the thread!

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Quillz
                          IPB costs $185, not $190...

                          And if use the latest version of phpBB, you'll see that (currently), it's rather secure. Of course, older versions are in fact full of holes.
                          Ha, if it was just about the security, if only!

                          People who use vB know that it's not just about the security, I could list off the top of my head, 20 things (at least) it is about, and security aint very high for me...

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Gary Bolton
                            There has been an annoucment made on phpBB though were they are talking about hosts starting to take phpBB of there servers for fear of security issues if they host it (probabley because it always seems to be phpBB that get nuked buy hackers).

                            Here is announcement: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=304052

                            Checkout the reference to vB in the thread!
                            That's actually pretty sad. I agree though that exploits come with security holes. Majority of hacks take place on boards running older/hacked versions. You can't point the finger to someone else though like that. phpBB is notorious for having getting hacked, not because its unsecure, just because people don't update their forum to the latest version.

                            phpBB was great for starting a small forum. It just lacks options. phpBB 2.2 (or whatever it is now) looked great. After waiting nearly a year for them to release it I gave in and brought vB. Only wish I did it sooner
                            The price you pay for Open Source tbh.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              I like phpbb. I like the fact it a lightweight board thats very easy to configure and userfriendly. I'm not a fan of the new feature rich phpbb 2.2 version from what I've seen of it so far.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                I for one think vBulletin is priced perfectly.

                                The only change I would like to see is the removal of the leased option, and removal of the $30 / year for the owned option. I would just like to pay $160 and own it with all upgrades. Maybe a fee for new major releases.

                                You get what you pay for -- PHPbb may be free - but it has plenty of problems and shortcomings IMO.
                                vBulletin Hosting - Building my Automotive Forum Network...
                                vBulletin FAQ - Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - Car Audio Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum
                                Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum - Willys and Jeep Forum

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X