No announcement yet.

Can I get a free copy of vbulletin...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I get a free copy of vbulletin...?

Ok now that I got your attention....

I'm thinking about buying it. Currently I have a free invisionboard v 2.0.0 PF 2 on my site. Since they are pay now I'm thinking about using vbulletin. I know my members wil love it.

I found some of these questions answers in the forum, but I just wanna double check.

Invisionboard v2.0.0 PF 2 to Vbulletin wouldn't be a prob right? I read something about Implex and it would work except passwords (not a big deal). Forum has about 95k post 1k members. also since it's in the membesrs area I'm guessing it free?

From what I read on the forum seems metacharge sends the member info pretty much instantly. Correct?

Thinking if I should get a leased or owned license. I read if you get a leased then instead of paying $160 to go to owned the next year it would be $170. If true, explain? Also. If I got a leased and decided to keep it a leased would it be $85 the next year or $85+$30?

P.S - Can a mod please correct my username. Should be "StyleZ cZ."

Thanks

hmm I see Impex isn't available in 3.5 so that means I'd have to use 3.0 to convert my IPB then upgrade. Wanna make sure that won't be a prob either.

Comment

LOL

First answer, no you can not get a free copy of vBulletin ...hahahahha

Welcome to vBulletin Style .

For the username change, ask Steve Machol for the change

You are correct about the importing. Impex is currently available for 3.0.x but not 3.5.x yet. It will be soon. Many people have been getting around this limitation simply by Importing to 3.0.x and then just upgrading to 3.5.x

You can see the list of what Impex Imports from IPB2 over here -> http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...9&postcount=22

Your license information generally comes within 24hrs. I haven't used metacharge, but it appears to send things instantly. It's my understanding that if you use metacharge or worldpay, the transaction must be approve manually. I've read that if you used the Credit Card Option for PayPal, it should come instantly.

As for the leased license ($85.00), the leased license gives you the ability to run vBulletin for one year. At the end of the year, your license expires and you need to pay another $85.00 to run another leased license or pay the full $160.00 for an owned license.

An owned license allows you to run vBulletin for life. At the end of the year, your ability to download newer versions of vBulletin is disabled, however you can download versions of vBulletin you had access to prior to your download access expiring. You can renew the ability to download newer versions by paying $30.00 for another years of access. You do not have to pay the $30.00 immediately after your download access expires, and can pay whenever you want to .
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Yea I was just joking about the free copy figured it would get this topic a lot of attention. Seems to be doing the opposite lol.

You cleared up the questions I had, thanks

Comment

LOL....yea it tends to turn some people off

I'm just a bit surprised I beat Steve to answering your questions
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Sytlez cZ
            Yea I was just joking about the free copy figured it would get this topic a lot of attention. Seems to be doing the opposite lol.

You cleared up the questions I had, thanks
            Yet, you can get a free copy of vBulletin!
            You just have to pay 85$/160$ for your account with the membership area.
            From there you can download the software without any additional charge, i.e. for free.

OK, to say something useful:

If you're planning to keep your forums for at least 2 years, the owned license makes sense yet. If you want it to keep for at least 3 years, the owned license beats 3 single-year-licenses by far.

Importing is no big problem. You will import your IPB data into a fresh vB 3.0.9 database. After that, you upgrade to vB 3.5.0, which will take only a few more minutes.

Comment

Or my friend use to say "Absolutely free with a transaction charge." I had someone ask me about the leased license and I told them it's an option to see if your board will work for your site or not and a cheaper cost option for those who don't have the full $160, although you pay each year to keep it.

Originally posted by Odysseus
              Yet, you can get a free copy of vBulletin!
              You just have to pay 85$/160$ for your account with the membership area.
              From there you can download the software without any additional charge, i.e. for free.

OK, to say something useful:

If you're planning to keep your forums for at least 2 years, the owned license makes sense yet. If you want it to keep for at least 3 years, the owned license beats 3 single-year-licenses by far.

Importing is no big problem. You will import your IPB data into a fresh vB 3.0.9 database. After that, you upgrade to vB 3.5.0, which will take only a few more minutes.
              Kim

Comment

Support is good on this forum, now I see the difference between free and paid lol.

I think I found a winner.

Comment

Since you other questions were answered, I'll just chime in and say that you should go with the owned liscence, its cheaper in the long run.
                  Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

That's actually my last debate.

If I get a leased it'll be $85 now + $160 to upgrade so $245 for two years.
                    If I get a owned it'll be $160 now + $30 to renew so $190 for two years + I own it so I don't have to take it down.

I'd save $55 already. Sounds like owned is the way to go, my only concern is if i'll need it after a year.

Comment

Well look at it this way. If your first site fails, you can update your URL in the members area to your new site and you don't need a new site.

Comment

Free vBulliten?

Originally posted by Stylez cZ
                        I'd save $55 already. Sounds like owned is the way to go, my only concern is if i'll need it after a year.
                        Way I figure StyleZ....... Now I could be wrong, and may get corrected..

My obsession is an online game, free of monthly charge, so I went ahead and bought a full owned copy...... now if in 2 year's, my online game obsession ends, and I want to start a BDSM fetish forum, I do beleive that's well within my rights -as long as I keep the VB info here updated-

Disclaimer: no, I do not plan to start a BDSM fetish site, but I do beleive a vBulleitn board is allowed to go with you from hobby to hobby to hobby, so to me paid for life is the way to go.

Comment

Well my site I plan on using it for is fully established. about 300 members / 100k posts. It's been around, not going anywhere, basically what I meant is I don't know if I'll still use vbulletin after that time. Looks like I will though

Comment

A lot of webmasters noted that their sites grew in size quite dramatically when they switched from whatever their old platforms was to vBulletin.

Comment

Ok, made it official. Just purchased.

For future reference, the process is fast.

If you use Metacharge the login info is sent instantly. I had members area info 10 seconds after paying.

Thanks people

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X