Limits to modication of vB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limits to modication of vB?

Hi there, I'm very interested in switching to vBulletin, but I'm worried about one thing: flexibility with modification. I'm coming from phpBB, which is very easy to modify in terms of design and function and is open source. I was wondering about the following two questions:

Is there any restriction on the limits to modifying the vB code (besides removing the copyright lines)? For example, if I wanted to create an RPG-like game around the vB software, would this be allowed (similar to http://www.gaiaonline.com/, which is based on phpBB)?

Also, outside of the control panel, how easy is it to modify the vB? I'm experienced in PHP and mySQL and this would be a big buying point for me.

Thanks!

Its pretty easy with vB too, check here >>> http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Xiphoid
      Hi there, I'm very interested in switching to vBulletin, but I'm worried about one thing: flexibility with modification. I'm coming from phpBB, which is very easy to modify in terms of design and function and is open source. I was wondering about the following two questions:

Is there any restriction on the limits to modifying the vB code (besides removing the copyright lines)? For example, if I wanted to create an RPG-like game around the vB software, would this be allowed (similar to http://www.gaiaonline.com/, which is based on phpBB)?

Also, outside of the control panel, how easy is it to modify the vB? I'm experienced in PHP and mySQL and this would be a big buying point for me.

Thanks!
      There's no real "restrictions" actually; but do note that when you edit the PHP files, you lose official support (do they do try to find out if it's a problem with vBulletin or your modifications). Outside of that, you may edit it as you will to do it what you want.

vBulletin is extremely easy to modify and flexable enough to do things you want to get done. All the template changes and such are within the vBulletin Admin Control Panel, so really all you'd have to do to get anything done is uploading or changing files (for styling and hacks, for example).

As mentioned before, you can ask for help at vBulletin.org for any modifying needs on vBulletin.
      Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

hence why Jelsoft coded the plugin system. My board has lots of hacks, but if I have a problem I turn the hacks off and Jelsoft can still help me.

Comment

Hey!

Xiphoid used to be my username here before I changed it to Floris

Comment

Originally posted by Xiphoid
            For example, if I wanted to create an RPG-like game around the vB software, would this be allowed
            Fortunately, there is example PHP code available to create a whole other page that is still 'part' of vBulletin. In other words, you can create a whole other page like RPG, Events list, Links list, etc. which already has the vBulletin construct/cookies/templates/style available to you.

It's really suggested that you take advantage of Plug-ins and keep the number of modifications you make to the vBulletin source PHP files. If you make an hour's worth of changes to the vBulletin PHP files, then when the next version of vB comes out, it could easily take you another hour to integrate your mods with the new version. You can read about Plug-ins, Programs, Hooks, and Bitfield XML at vBulletin.org. Bitfield XML allows you to add settings to the Admin control panel without rewriting vB.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X