Converting from IPB 2.03?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting from IPB 2.03?

Is there a converter for IPB 2.03? We have a pretty large forum with 17,000+ members and over 1 million posts. I was wonder if vB will help convert or do I have to do it myself. Will there be any problem for converting a huge board like that? Will everything remain the same? Let me know. Thanks!

Yes, there's a converter, which you can find here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...9&postcount=22

ImpEx does the import for you; fill in the required database information for both forums (vB and IPB). If you need support though, you cna get it via the ticket system or here on the forums.
    Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

What's ImpEx? Is there a fee for this convertor or for ImpEx to do the converting for me?

Comment

ImpEx is free with your vBulletin purchase and is in the Member's Area. ImPex does the conversion for you; just input the information for your forum system (after uploading to your server) and just click through until it is successfully imported.

There's also documentation and instructions to do it (as seen here: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/impex)

Comment

The only bad thing is that the passwords dont get converted.

Comment

Originally posted by technoguy
            The only bad thing is that the passwords dont get converted.
            Is it really a great hardship that your members have to use new passwords?

Comment

Originally posted by poolking
              Is it really a great hardship that your members have to use new passwords?
              Thats not the problem. The problem is the resetting part. I've been through it a few times myself (to AND from), as have my members. Because of the different password hashes for both, resetting them can be a pain. I would say in about 90% of the cases for me, because of the pain in the arse approach, the members just created new accounts, which just created confusion and problems. Sometimes even after trying to reset the passwords it didn't work. (Most likely cookie problems, etc.). Problem is, most average joes don't care about or understand 'cookies' or 'cache', etc., even after explaining them. They want a more simple straight forward approach. I know that IPB 2.1 has pretty much fixed the problem on their side by making it easier to do. (I've tried it.) Now it's VB's turn. This is a known issue. Has been for quite some time.

It's neither boards faults, just how the hashing is done and the conflicts from them is all.

Comment

Its impossible to bring over the IPB passwords period, short of removing the ipb security checks (making them plain md5 hashes AND altering impex).

Comment

I recetly saw one forums converted from vB to IPB with all the passes intact I wonder how they did it??

Comment

I've seen it done myself, though not sure how exactly.

Comment

You could modify vBulletin to use a differnt password system... however this has a high possibility of breaking future upgrades/

Comment

Not quite you can modify the login check to accept two methods and convert the password.

You can do this with hooks in 3.5.0 if the salt data is left by IPB.
                        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X