Clear All

• ribman
    replied
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• feldon23
    replied
    Originally posted by MattM6
    Also, the search button is something we all like to use that helps us find the answers to our questions. Considering you don't know what a skin is, you may need detailed instuctions on how to use the search button. I do not currently know of any tutorials.
    vBulletin has styles which contain CSS (color, spacing, layout), and may contain template modifications and even a different language. I'm not really sure how you can call that a "skin".

vBulletin really isn't skinnable in the sense that other programs can be 'skinned' through the use of an XML file. When a new version of vBulletin comes out, substantial changes may be necessary to the style and templates to make the style work on the new version of the forum. Imagine if you got a replacement cell phone cover, but every 2 months you have to rewire the phone!

and I am not berating Jelsoft for the style system. It's 10x better in vB3.5. Just commenting.
    Last edited by feldon23; Mon 5 Sep '05, 10:30pm.

Leave a comment:

• MattM6
    replied
    No problem, I am glad I was able to answer your question.

Leave a comment:

• ribman
    replied
    Thanks Matt, This is very helpful.

Leave a comment:

• MattM6
    replied
    Yes, a skin does modify the original vBulletin template. Examples of skins can be found at the following sites...

www.extremepixels.com
    www.vbtemplates.com
    www.transversestyles.com
    www.vbstyles.com

At the above sites, you will see vBulletin skins that modify both, the style sheet, and the actual vBulletin template. I hope this answers your question.

Kind Regards,
    Matt

Leave a comment:

• ribman
    replied
    What are skins?

Thank you for your help Zachery I understand your reply to mean that a skin is a modification a style sheet but can also involve the modification of a template. Is this correct?

Now MattM6, I was asking a pre-sales question. Condescension is neither helpful nor polite.

Leave a comment:

• MattM6
    replied
    Also, the search button is something we all like to use that helps us find the answers to our questions. Considering you don't know what a skin is, you may need detailed instuctions on how to use the search button. I do not currently know of any tutorials.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Skins / styles are about the same thing and can be interchangeable

Skins / Styles contain modified CSS / Templates

Leave a comment:

• ribman
    started a topic What are skins?

What are skins?

Hi, I am trying to get some clarification of some vbulletin terminology.
    What are skins? How are they related to styles? How are they related to templates?
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X