X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zonex
    some people, myself included feel like tatle?? tales reporting things
    live and let live kinda thing also

we also may feel hypocritical because we may at one point have downloaded something we shouldnt have from the internet
    it seems most people only care if its something they paid for, if its some other software it doesnt generate the same feelings
    why feel robbed if u went to the theatres and saw movie A and millions of people saw it for free but you dont feel as robbed if its movie B that people downloaded?

hopefully this sheds some light on those of us not into reporting piracy
    If I see someone shoot someone in the head, i want to help catch the guy who did it and I report what I saw to the police. It doesn't feel like ratting out. And it helps reduce crime.

Comment

if a product is priced correctly for the intended market then piracy is diminished considerably.

Charge $500 for a wordprocessor and spreadsheet and you get what microsoft have to contend with.

Charge $30 for a music Cd when the target is kids who can't afford it and you get piracy.

simple.

Comment

I 100% disagree with that statement.
        Compare our software against the others on the market, we're cheaper and are not even 0% close to the enterprise licenses some sell. And still people pirate it.

I have sold vB styles with more quality then others, and keeping it exclusive. At the price of as low as $10 to $25, where others ask over $200, and still I find my styles on pirate web sites.

To just give a few examples.

Comment

Originally posted by baronvon
          if a product is priced correctly for the intended market then piracy is diminished considerably.

Charge $500 for a wordprocessor and spreadsheet and you get what microsoft have to contend with.

Charge $30 for a music Cd when the target is kids who can't afford it and you get piracy.

simple.
          I agree with Floris 100%. Unless it's free, which is what most people seem to want, there will be piracy. Do you really believe that if VB sold for $50 that it would make much difference? There is no 'intended market' price. I see vbulletin skins that sell for $20 (which is not unfair), on these very same sites. Fact is, if you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by 1996 328ti
            I just hope you guys aren't as vigilant when you see someone going 15 mph over the speed limit.
            I AM!

I have 6 year old twins that play in the yard. We have several targets that speed down our road. (Targets, I am throwing whatever I can pick up at their car).

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
              If I see someone shoot someone in the head, i want to help catch the guy who did it and I report what I saw to the police. It doesn't feel like ratting out. And it helps reduce crime.
              you are chosing an extreme
              if i knew my neighbor got a vcr from walmart for free i wouldnt call the cops. would you?
              if he killed his wife, you bet i would

Originally posted by Bad_i_BILL
              I AM!

I have 6 year old twins that play in the yard. We have several targets that speed down our road. (Targets, I am throwing whatever I can pick up at their car).
              hes probably referring to highways
              down here most traffic flows at 70 in a 55

Comment

I have a feeling that if a style was $1 and vB was $19.95, you would still see them on pirate sites. Some people just don't want to pay, no matter how little you charge.

$160 is a decent price point and obviously it has worked for years. Customers that purchase the license know they're getting something that is worth many times more.

I 100% disagree with that statement.
                Compare our software against the others on the market, we're cheaper and are not even 0% close to the enterprise licenses some sell. And still people pirate it.

I have sold vB styles with more quality then others, and keeping it exclusive. At the price of as low as $10 to $25, where others ask over $200, and still I find my styles on pirate web sites.

To just give a few examples.
                Kim

Comment

your right on the piracy thing kimmikat
                  whether its $5 or $5000, software will always be available via piracy
                  that's just the way the internet is

people will continue to speed, people will continue to fill their iPods with freely aquired mp3s
                  such is life

i rather live and let live unless its something that in my opinion is really major
                  software, music, movie piracy doesnt do the same for me as someone commiting a violent crime
                  Last edited by Zonex; Mon 5 Sep '05, 9:17am.

Comment

I report pirated vBs because the people who have a nulled vB have personally offended me by ripping on such a great product.

Comment

Does Autodesk reward you for reporting pirated versions of AutoCad? No.

Does Adobe reward you for reporting pirated versions of Photoshop? No.

Do these programs cost a hell of alot more than vBulletin? Do they stand to lose more money? Yup.

If you don't like the fact that vBulletin doesn't have a "reward" program, then that's all there is to it. Don't expect them to change they're policies just because your feeling greedy.

I agree with reporting live boards. If I knew of a way to check to see if people were running a nulled board, I'd do it all day.

Comment

Some people uses illegal software because it's fun, some dose it with intended purpose of making those companies bankrupt because they support open source (MS seems to suffer from this alot), and some others use it because they wanted to see what it's like before making the financial decision. As of for me, I used to have two illegal versions of vB. One is 3.0.3 and one is 3.0.5 on my comp but never bother to checked it out. One day I just decided to deleted them from my comp because at the time I fell in love with phpBB.

But after playing with phpBB for a while, it doesn't offer me what I want and I am not knowledgeable (spelling?) enough to install hacks to make it on par with a cleaned vB version.

I researched heavily in terms of performace, features, etc. between IPB and vB then decided to purchased a vB license to test things out. Do I believe the price is high? You bet I do. But do think the piece of software Jelsoft is offering worth it? Every single penny. At the end of the day, I don't like the amount I spent (but I did anyway), but at the same time I feel really good about it. Contradicting huh?

Comment

If everybody stops reporting the pirated forums we probably have to raise our prices.
                          That would surely encourage more piracy

@Topic - Its not gonna work as so many ppl already stated why

Comment

Originally posted by KimmiKat
                            I have a feeling that if a style was $1 and vB was $19.95, you would still see them on pirate sites. Some people just don't want to pay, no matter how little you charge.
                            What intrigues me is that I have even seen free software (Mambo, SMF just to give 2 examples) offered for download on "pirate software" sites. Where's the gain?
                            I have noticed also that the vast majority of sites that make illegal software available (especially scripts) are either in Russia or Greece, what can legally be done to stop these? (I ask because I don't know, it's not a rhetorical question.. )

Comment

Originally posted by gothic
                              What intrigues me is that I have even seen free software (Mambo, SMF just to give 2 examples) offered for download on "pirate software" sites. Where's the gain?
                              I have noticed also that the vast majority of sites that make illegal software available (especially scripts) are either in Russia or Greece, what can legally be done to stop these? (I ask because I don't know, it's not a rhetorical question.. )
                              Not all countries respect software copyright laws. Unfortunately, there is sometimes little that can be done to stop piracy, other than simply being moral and not feeding the pirates.
                              Forums

Comment

LOL you are all smarter than me, I would not even know how to identify a site using a pirated verion.
                                CommanderTalk.com --> www.commandertalk.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X