This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by goran69
    I think that at this point this should be closed...I know I would..if I could
    There is no reason to close threads into a bbs. A bbs/forum is to discuss things, not to close threads.
    Stromspar-Suchmaschine
    Theken & Tresen

Comment

I agree, but even if it is discussed, I am pretty sure (100% if you ask me..) that we won't change our policy on this matter.

Comment

How can we tell if a board is real or pirated version?

Thanks,
        Mike

Comment

You can't.
          There are a few ways, like the footer could mention it is a nullified copy by team <name>

But even then, many used to run pirated and got busted and bought a license but never updated the files.

Because we can't disclose if a site is licensed or not, .. we can't give a reward for it either.

Comment

A reward to do the right thing?

This thread was started to ask for a reward to do the right thing. Imagine something happening to your car for example. I come over & scratch it & bust out all the windows. Your neighbor says for a reward he'll tell you who did it.
            I'm sure you'd give hime something, but the point is it is a moral thing to do. FOR FREE.

Comment

I believe the reward is the good feeling you get for help reducing piracy of the software which helps hold the prices down.
              Kim

Comment

Originally posted by Wachtmeister
                There is no reason to close threads into a bbs. A bbs/forum is to discuss things, not to close threads.
                I agree with you, however some things are so out of order that closing them is just the only thing to do.

Comment

No need for rewards... Most of us love vBulletin and are glad to support it.

Just my 2 cents...
                  Greets,
                  TheSonic

Comment

I just hope you guys aren't as vigilant when you see someone going 15 mph over the speed limit.
                    ...steven
                    www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                    bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                    "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

Originally posted by 1996 328ti
                      I just hope you guys aren't as vigilant when you see someone going 15 mph over the speed limit.
                      Well said but you will probably be accused of endangering lives. C'mon we all speed a little bit, dont we? We all download the occasional mp3 or movie or have in the passed.

It's just that I payed for this particular file so I feel robbed.

If vb piracy stops tommorow do you think Jelsoft will drop their price?

Comment

Honestly, once you think about it a license isn't that much, however if prices were dropped, piracy probably would stop or at least go down so people can afford a license if they can't.

Comment

I wouldn't get a good feeling reporting a pirated vBulletin unless the owner of the site was an *******.

Comment

Originally posted by eclectica
                            I wouldn't get a good feeling reporting a pirated vBulletin unless the owner of the site was an *******.
                            They're more or less stealing from VB if they are using a pirated version of it. If you report one (and I have a few times), it's all done confidentially. No worries on your side. They never find out who reported them, unless you tell them of course. I mean, would you appreciate it if someone stole your hard work, someone else knew there was someone else pirating copies of it or using illegal copies of it, but didn't tell you about it because it didn't make them feel good?! Turning them in only because they would be a jerk to you defeats the purpose. If you can turn them in for being a jerk, why couldn't you turn them in anyways for using an illegal pirated board? Makes zero sense.

Comment

some people, myself included feel like tatle?? tales reporting things
                              live and let live kinda thing also

we also may feel hypocritical because we may at one point have downloaded something we shouldnt have from the internet
                              it seems most people only care if its something they paid for, if its some other software it doesnt generate the same feelings
                              why feel robbed if u went to the theatres and saw movie A and millions of people saw it for free but you dont feel as robbed if its movie B that people downloaded?

hopefully this sheds some light on those of us not into reporting piracy

Comment

Well, not reporting it does more harm than reporting it. And like I stated with eclectica's post, reporting it only because they made you mad defeats the purpose. Like I stated, if you can do it because they made you angry, theres no reason you can't report them for using illegal copies just to do the right thing in the first place.

So unless you want to see VB's rates go higher...or see other actions eventually take place that could make it harder even for those wanting to test it out....its best to just report the site or place in question.

Why? Because if its a legit site to begin with, nothing will happen. If it's not, then the proper channels will be taken.

It's funny really. If not enough people want to help fight piracy, then rates and such will eventually go higher, and things generally will get more difficult. Then those same people NOT doing anything about helping fight the piracy complain because now things aren't like what they were. This applies to EVERYTHING. Do the higher prices drive those that are lower income (and some that aren't), to do more piracy? Yes. No doubt. But should they get caught doing it, the consequences far outweigh anything else. It's like stealing a $15 CD, getting caught, then paying hundreds of dollars in fines and courts fees for that one CD. Was it really worth it? No. Even if you stole multiple CD's, all it takes is that one time. And with all the money you spent on court fees, you could just as well of bought them.

I mean, if someone stole something of yours, and someone else found out about it and where it was at....wouldn't you like for them to make you aware of it so you can do something about getting it back? Common Sense IMO.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X