Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need few clarifications before we buy from you - Urgent

Hi,
    We are having a forum running at wowbb.Wwe want to transfer our forum to your board where we would go for the package where VB hosts our server.Wwe have 2 questions before taking a decision:

1)How much maximum attachment size are we allowed to upload in a post.I am looking for atleast 10mb file size.Pls revert back.

2)For transferring our forum from wowbb to your board is it possible?If so who will do the transferring?Do we need to do it?

Pls revert.Its urgent.
    Regards,
    Philip

Hello.
    We do not have a hosted solution. You would need to secure your own domain name and hosting services.

Honestly, the 10Mb file size upload may be problematic with most shared hosting solutions. PHP sets an 8mb limit by default, and most hosting companies that edite this variable edit down, not up.

We do have a wowBB importer. You can use our ImpEx import system to import the data directly into your new vBulletin.
    Webmaster:
    @forumz

Comment

f

Martin,
      Thanks for ur prompt reply.
      If u dn't hv a hosting option then definitely we hv to buy server space from u.If that is so then pls send us the link from where we can see the options of the packages?Also if we go for buying server space from u then will we b able 2 upload more than 10mb file size?pls clarify.
      regards,

Comment

Here is our hosting forum

Also, check out www.webhostingtalk.com

As for the uploads, that's something you would need to find out from the hosting company. We do not impose limits in the software.
        Webmaster:
        @forumz

Comment

I recomend ASmallOrange for hosting your site. I'm currently using them, and I've got my limit set to 16 MB attachments, and have had no trouble with it. Their server satability and uptime has been excellent, and their support is amazing.

Comment

Hi,
            Does that mean there is a big difference between wowbb and vb regarding the facilities each provide.
            In case of wowbb there is the option where they can host our forum in their server which can be either leased or bought depending on the package we go for.But in case of VB i suppose there is no option such like hosting our forum in your server.Am I correct?
            rgds

Comment

Originally posted by TCM
              I recomend ASmallOrange for hosting your site. I'm currently using them, and I've got my limit set to 16 MB attachments, and have had no trouble with it. Their server satability and uptime has been excellent, and their support is amazing.
              TCM,
              Can u help me in this?
              I checked up small orange but they r using IPB Board.So how will they help us?We are looking for boards like wowbb,vbulletin,IPB from whom we get the full support.

Please note we run our forum in wowbb but the problem we are facing is tht wowbb allows only max 5mb attachment as uplaod and we host our forum at their server.They say if we host our forum at our own server then only we can increase the file size attachment.Can u pls help us as how we resolve the issue hosting the forum in other's server(service provider).
              Regards,
              Philip

Comment

Originally posted by philipmorris
                Hi,
                Does that mean there is a big difference between wowbb and vb regarding the facilities each provide.
                In case of wowbb there is the option where they can host our forum in their server which can be either leased or bought depending on the package we go for.But in case of VB i suppose there is no option such like hosting our forum in your server.Am I correct?
                rgds
                In regards to offering hosted solutions, they offer it and we don't.

In terms of features and support for our customers, we are considered by most to be the leader. We feel our time is better devoted to continuing development of our software for our customers than it is in running a server farm and dealing with the issues inherint with that.
                Webmaster:
                @forumz

Comment

Originally posted by philipmorris
                  TCM,
                  Can u help me in this?
                  I checked up small orange but they r using IPB Board.So how will they help us?We are looking for boards like wowbb,vbulletin,IPB from whom we get the full support.

Please note we run our forum in wowbb but the problem we are facing is tht wowbb allows only max 5mb attachment as uplaod and we host our forum at their server.They say if we host our forum at our own server then only we can increase the file size attachment.Can u pls help us as how we resolve the issue hosting the forum in other's server(service provider).
                  Regards,
                  Philip
                  Uhhh... they won't install it for you, or anything like that. I was just recomending them as a general web host. Their forums use IPB, yes, but many of their customers, myself included use vB. You may pay Jelsoft to set up your forum for you, though you're on your own with the import, but there are many people to ask questions if you have trouble.

Comment

Philip,

There's two different things you're talking about here. The first is hosting, the second is forum software. These are not the same.

wowbb may provide both as a service, I'm not sure. As far as vBulletin goes, you need to (a) find hosting somewhere, and (b) install the software at that host.

As far as hosting goes, I also use A Small Orange for hosting my vBulletin, and have found their service to be brilliant and very helpful.

Whichever way you go, you would need to separately purchase vBulletin to use it, and then install it on the servers at whichever host you choose.

Comment

10Mb plus for an attachment is very steep, and you may find you have issues with running attachments of that size. The better hosts will be flexible with the memory limit set on php (Mine starts at 16Mb by default) however that's not the be-all and end all of it. If you have a lot of attachments of that size then server load will be an issue aside from memory allowances.

Don't hold me to it, but you're probably going to need something more heavy duty than a simple ordinary hosting account. I don't think dedicated is required, but somewhere in between probably will be. I don't mean to cause offence but your experience with hosting seems to be in the beginner category and it doesn't sound like you need anything heavy duty otherwise. You might want to consider some other method of storing your intended file uploads.

Comment

If your users need to upload 10MB files, you really should set up FTP accounts for them once you get web hosting set up. Creating FTP accounts for people is fairly easy if your web hosting account comes with cPanel (an administrative tool).

Web hosting is typically $5-10 a month for a small- to medium-sized non-commercial website.

You can run IPB, vBulletin, and just about any PHP/MySQL forum software you want on the hosting from A Small Orange and the thousands of other web hosts out there. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ discusses the many web hosts available from shared hosting ($5-20/month) to virtual private server (fractional servers $45-75/mo) to dedicated servers (your own PC for $99+/mo).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X