Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I have to have a website to have a forum???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have to have a website to have a forum???

Well, let me explain as best I can. I am not interested in owning/having a website, only a forum (hosted by Site5.com) powered by vBulletin. Is it possible to just have a forum without having a website? The reason I ask is because every time I go to a forum, I see "www.blahblahblah.com/forum" or something.

I don't know how to fully ask this question, but does anyone out there know what I mean?

Thanks.

Fortunately, yes, you can without a site. Just upload the files in the public_html directory, because most forums are located in /public_html/forums, whereas the path to the admincp in vBulletin instead of /public_html/forums/admincp, it would be public_html/admincp. If that made any sense.

Comment

All you need is a web host that is compatible with vB's needs to operate. You must have PHP and MySQL among other disk space, etc.

But no, you do not need to host your forums inside a "/forum" directory. For example, my forum (signature link) is locked on the index of the entire website. It is entirely up to you.
      Twitter

Comment

It would be a rather good idea to have a site first. Otherwise how would people know your forum exists?
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

It sure is. Look at sites like www.namepros.com

Comment

Bear in mind that Site5 runs php as cgi. That may or may not make a difference, I've just seen it mentioned a few times here as I was browsing.

Comment

Note...

There are many 'sites' whose sole purpose is discussion. The presence of static html files doesn't make your domain any more a 'site' than any other type of content. Having said that, many shy from sites which use stock forums. A good idea here is to use a portal such as vBadvanced to enhance the forum itself, and a great custom style to bring it all home. Then get into the search engines like google, personally invite some friends to seed the site with topics and you're on your way.
              House of Night Forums - An online House of Night roleplaying community,

Comment

The DirectoryIndex directive is quite handy for this.

Set it to load index.html first, then links to the forum can be index.php.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X