Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fantastic product!...but a few questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantastic product!...but a few questions...

First off, great product. This should be the benchmark for professional forums.

I have a few questions before I would be able to purchase.

1. I am migrating from MWP (maxwebportal 2.11) and need to make sure I can import all the users, posts, private messages, profile, etc. I saw the importer for snitz info but I'm not sure it would work. I could not find a way to submit a test sample on the Admin demo. This is a critical item for me as I have a 25,000+ post / 100+ member mwp forum running. (edit-more info) The site is an access database. I saw the list here, but maxwebportal was listed as the first unhyperlinked. I'm guessing this means it isn't available.... I still wonder if snitz importer will work...?? (end edit)

2. Is there session information available to a custom asp script (logged in status / name / rank / etc)? I have several custom web applications I currently use and would need to have this to authenticate users (so I don’t have to twice).

3. Can you run .asp scripts from the scheduled tasks page?

4. Assuming I purchased the 'owned' license today, and three years later version 5.0 is released - I only have to pay $30 to get the latest version...right?

5. I got this error magic_quotes_gpc should be off for optimal performance, ask your host to change this in php.ini on the vBulletin 3 Test Script. What does this mean, and is it worth bugging my hosting provider to change it?

6. “database_conflicts.php” would not run on my hosted environment. It threw up an error. Is this an issue?

7. Is there anyone who has converted from mwp / maxwebportal with a success story?

8. (new question) Is the bug tracker part of vBulletin? It is GREAT! I was reading it and I am very impressed!
    Last edited by majorxp; Wed 31 Aug '05, 6:30pm. Reason: Additional information regarding current forums and question 8

I'll take a stab at the few I know.

1. Yes your forum can be imported.

4. Correct

5. You can run vb despite that error, vb can compensate but you
    will take a slight performance hit which should be negligible depending on the size of yoru site and your box. Shouldn't hurt to ask your host to change it though.

6. What was the error? VB Needs a MYSQL DB to run, it will not work on access or mssql.
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

database_conflicts.php is not to test your server. It's to make sure you vBulletin database has no problems. You do not need to run that...
      <Onimua> Congrats Chroder
      <Onimua> You're a daddy.
      <Chroder> eh
      <Onimua> :)
      <Chroder> uh oh

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

#1 was my biggest concern.

On #6, I was pretty sure that the database_conflicts.php was to test an existing database, but was a little concerned when it threw out an unhandled error rather than an expected one like, "sorry, you don't have a database to test" or something like that.

Any feedback on the rest?

Comment

The bug tracker does not come with vBulletin.

Comment

Anything relating to ASP, I don't think we can be of much help here. The folks over at vBulletin.org are probably more knowledgeable since you're treading into codehacking for one, and two, vBulletin is written in PHP so I don't know of any methods to accomplish something between a PHP/SQL written board and a platform written in ASP/SQL.
            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ATI4EVER
              The bug tracker does not come with vBulletin.
              I'm really interested to get it, specially because it's fully integrated in vbulletin forums (instead of using external webtool like mantis), is there any way to purchase a license from Jelsoft ?

Comment

I dont believe they will but I would suggest you email [email protected] to see if something can be worked out.

As an alternative, there are a few 'vb help desks' at vbulletin.org that are very similiar and of course fully intergrated.
                Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Originally posted by krisae
                  I'm really interested to get it, specially because it's fully integrated in vbulletin forums (instead of using external webtool like mantis), is there any way to purchase a license from Jelsoft ?
                  There is a version on vbulletin.org that is similar to what is here.

Also, FWIW, I went ahead and just purchased a copy of the software. I have been working with the support folks over my concerns with the import process and they have been great to work with.

Wish me luck on the conversion and getting things setup...!

Comment

Originally posted by majorxp
                    There is a version on vbulletin.org that is similar to what is here.

Also, FWIW, I went ahead and just purchased a copy of the software. I have been working with the support folks over my concerns with the import process and they have been great to work with.

Wish me luck on the conversion and getting things setup...!
                    Best of Luck Major
                    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

So majorxp, did you get the import working?

I'me in virtually the same position as you - a modded MWPv2.11 that I want to import. So far no luck in testing....

Any info you can throw my way?
                      A.

Comment

You can't 'test' it. You have to buy vBulletin and then import it. If you have any trouble importing, you contact [email protected] or open a Support ticket and they'll work with you.

Comment

Thank you for your helpful answer Feldon. I already own a vbulletin license and as you well know it allows for a "test" board. I'm testing using the test board and not havign much luck with importing - but beucase there's not much of a hand-hold guide for MWP imports I thought I'd ask first before lauching into a fully blown effort int he new year.

A.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X