Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know i want vB for my site but i want to double check some things.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Umbreonmaster
    replied
    You're fine. Way over fine. You have more than 10x the diskspace and bandwidth than me.

Leave a comment:

• Reeve of Shinra
    replied
    No - who ever you are hosting with now should be good enough for you to start off with. I think your misreading some things and getting a little confused cause you may not be familiar with the terminology, which is okay, as you'll get to used this.

Most people start thier sites on a shared hosting plan where the host has multiple people running thier sites on the same box.

After a certain point, your forum will reach a certain size where you will need to upgrade your hosting plan to whats called VPS or virtual private server. Same concept as shared hosting but instead of 100 users (just an arbitrary # here) on 1 computer, the host may 5 or 6 large sites on 1 machine.

If you continue to grow, you may need to go to dedicated hosting where it will just be your site on the computer provided by the hosting company.

These are things you prob wont have to worry about for a long while.

Leave a comment:

• Telegon80
    replied
    when u say 'upgrade my hardware' does that mean i will have to buy a computer and dedicate it to the site???

Leave a comment:

• Reeve of Shinra
    replied
    Since you are most likely on a shared server, performance can vary by the load the other sites are putting on the server and the servers processor and ram. You should be okay for a while with this setup but as your site grows you may need to possibly upgrade your hardware at some point to keep up - this happens with any sucessful site though.

Leave a comment:

• Telegon80
    replied
    thanks. anyone here can clear this up? now im confused.

Leave a comment:

• poolking
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeramy
    The amount of people that can be online at a time on your site depends more on how much RAM your server has.
    I think there are more factors involved than that.

Leave a comment:

• technoguy
    replied
    Would also depend if u have disabled the guests access

Leave a comment:

• Jeramy
    replied
    The amount of people that can be online at a time on your site depends more on how much RAM your server has.

Leave a comment:

• Telegon80
    replied
    hacks? omg i can b3 t3h hax0rZ!!>???

j/p

Leave a comment:

• ]SK[
    replied
    If there's hacks for them then yeah.

Have a look over at www.vbulletin.org

Leave a comment:

• Telegon80
    replied
    cool thanks guys what about the arcade and the gallery... anyone have info for that?

Leave a comment:

• ]SK[
    replied
    I suppose it depends on how many people you have on your forums. 120Gb is actually alot so should be fine.

When you purchase you get access to v2, v3, and also the v3.5 RC2. Basically it's upto you which you choose.

Leave a comment:

• Above Top Secret
    replied
    The server you have will be fine for a small to mid size forum.
    The latest version out right now-if I am not mistaken is 3.5.0 RC2.

Leave a comment:

• I know i want vB for my site but i want to double check some things.

my server:

- 2400 MB of disk space for domain content. (is this enough??)
    - 120 GB/mo bandwidth (excess charged at $1/GB).
    - includes unlimited MySQL database.

Among some of the features that i am looking to implement are:

- 150x150pix avatars
    - Display users viewing threads
    - Arcade

Maybe:
    - Image Gallery for users to post pics without external hosting.

What is the latest version out right now? the latest ive seen was 3.5.0. is this correct? or is there a latter one. if i were to buy this today, which version would i get?

i will be setting this up in the next few weeks but i have many questions regarding the inner workings on the software.

lastly, my hosting company is dreamhost, are there any problems that could arise because of this that anyone has experienced?

thanks in advance guys,

Tele