Modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifications

Where can I find a list of the modifications available for VBulletin please as I want to see what features can be added via to purchase.

Many thanks

www.vbulletin.org

Comment

Be aware that modifying the code will void your support.
      Best Regards
      Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

So if you add on any modifications (or are they called hacks) then you cant get any support? One of the reasons I was going to go for Vbulletin was because I was told they have great add ons.

Comment

If you modify the code, you won't get any support, as Jelsoft staff can't support errors that result from code modifications.

With the new Product/Plugin system that shouldn't be a problem, as such addons won't modify the code.
          Best Regards
          Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

You will find that a lot of us have chosen to modify our forums and you will find a lot of support by the community at vbulletin.org but as Colin F said, officially Jelsoft can't support code modifications because it really is hard to troubleshoot something you didn't code in the first place (code mods are developed by the community).

Typically, installing mods is as simple as copy/paste and when I first started I had 0 coding experience whatsoever. That being said, the best advice I could give you if you purchase vbulletin adn decide to modify it would be to wait a few weeks before installing newly released mods. If there are any problems, some of the more experienced folks will find it or make note of it.
            Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

But, I think, you still get support, but not for the modified files.
              And if you get an error from a mod or hack, you probably will receive support from the community here and @ vbulletin.org And the hack creator.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin F
                If you modify the code, you won't get any support, as Jelsoft staff can't support errors that result from code modifications.
                I'm tired of seeing this inaccurate statement repeated as fact.

If you modify the PHP code, then Jelsoft will not be able to provide you with priority support. Priority support is where you give the login/password to your website and forum to Jelsoft staff and they go into your forum and fix the problem at no charge to you. There is also a support Ticket system where tech support questions are almost immediately answered.

However you will still be able to ask any number of tech support questions here on the forums and they will be responded to either by Jelsoft staff or other forum members, albeit not as quickly.

You are not "on your own" because you install a hack or two.

As Colin stated, many of the features you would want to add to vBulletin will now be possible with the Plug-ins/Programs system included in vB3.5. Instead of editing PHP files, these features/add-ons/plug-ins can be added to your forum by uploading XML and other files to the server.

Comment

If you post an error related to a hack, they will tell you go to vb.org for support although they will at times guide you to what the problem might be releated to...
                  Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                    If you post an error related to a hack, they will tell you go to vb.org for support although they will at times guide you to what the problem might be releated to...
                    There is no fine line between not getting support and getting it. I've seen a ton of people running hacked forums reciving support on these forums from staff members.

Most of the time you'll get support, although you may be asked to upload the orginal files or in the case of 3.5 turn off the plug-in system via a global switch in vboptions. In my experance you are asked to do this more often when seeking support via the members area, although I have not sent in a ticket in ages so things could have changed.

As said you can always get support from other customers at vBulletin.org or here.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X