Guest Users Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guest Users Question

I've seen many vB's where Guests are not allowed to post.

Finally, I found a vB where Guest ARE allowed to post.

The thing is that once a Guest enters a new post, by the name "unregistered" it posts the message.

But then, if another Guest enters the board and post a reply by the same "guest name": unregistered, the system doesn't allow that.

My question is: Is this a bug? or Works like this?

Because vB is treating a guest name like a registered one...

(try yourself)

It is by design. My guess is that guest #2 is simply hit with the time-limit between posts, to prevent mass-posts (spam).
    Toddler from Hell

Comment

Mistake. I've tried that.
      Guest # 2 could not use the same "guest username" > Unregistered

But this makes not sense, because they are guests.
      vB is managing guests as Only 1 Guest could use the same "guest name": unregistered.

That doesn't make sense, there's no need for a guest to have a unique "guest name" on the whole board.

Comment

Hang on while I give it a spin on my test-board.....
        Toddler from Hell

Comment

Works like a charm on my 3.5RC2
          Toddler from Hell

Comment

you were able to post 2 messages with "unregistered" as nickname?

Comment

I was able to post 6, 2 with the same Guest/session, 4 unique ones with 4 sessions/browsers, all within the same minute.

My test-site does not have the posting-limits enabled, yours probbably does.

What's the exact error you recieve?
              Toddler from Hell

Comment

This is the message:

That username is already in use. If you are guest and you have forgotten your password, click here.

Comment

Hmm. Does that site use many hacks? If so that may be related. My test-site is running the stock-version for now, and have no issues with mulple guests posting simultaniously.
                  Toddler from Hell

Comment

As long as I know, it uses no hacks, only vb 3.07. Are you posting all your guest with the same "guest name" ?

Comment

Yes, I'm using a standard setup. so the nickname etc. remains unchanged. I can try the same on my 3.0.8 but I expect the same to be the case there.
                      Toddler from Hell

Comment

Though, the error-message you list does not show up in my 3.0.8 (I checked the files) at all. That leads me to believe the board you are using is modified, so there's no easy way to tell what, if anything, is wrong. It could just be the way they want guest-posting to work. I can see sensible reasons for forcing any guests who post to use a unique name, it would make them somewhat traceable.
                        Toddler from Hell

Comment