X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why should i choose VB over IPB?

hi

im interested in getting a good forum to use on my site and i want to know why i should choose VBulletin over IPB. I currenty use the un-encoded trial version of IPB 2 so i know everything about it but i also help run another forum run by VB so I know both boards are of high quality and both have fair price tags. However, IPB have other things which VB doesnt like free upgrades and free telephone support for those who have support (even tho i know for a fact i dont need support anyway..). Also the new version has everything else i need like a WYSIWYG editor and some nice DHTML menu's .

so i need you to tell me what are the advantages of getting VBulletin instead.

p.s. i am only interested in getting a lifetime license

vbulletin has dropdown menu's and WYSIWYG editors..... as for support, well if you buy support assistance, then why couldn't you just buy it for vbulletin as well? Regardless of these reasons... the choice is up to you... choose the one that you like to work with because both have their quirks and charms.

Comment

i know VB has WYSIWYG and the DHTML menus. as for the support, i really dont need it to be honest.

Comment

server crash more with ipb

Comment

Originally posted by Geeza
          hi

im interested in getting a good forum to use on my site and i want to know why i should choose VBulletin over IPB. I currenty use the un-encoded trial version of IPB 2 so i know everything about it but i also help run another forum run by VB so I know both boards are of high quality and both have fair price tags. However, IPB have other things which VB doesnt like free upgrades and free telephone support for those who have support (even tho i know for a fact i dont need support anyway..). Also the new version has everything else i need like a WYSIWYG editor and some nice DHTML menu's .

so i need you to tell me what are the advantages of getting VBulletin instead.

p.s. i am only interested in getting a lifetime license
          You might know alot about IPB 2.0, but not IPB 2.1. There are significant differences between 2.0 and 2.1. VB and IPB have never been closer.

What it comes down to in the end is what you need for your community. Try the demo out here and if you can, IPB 2.1. Compare feature sets as well. Some prefer IPB, others prefer VB. Out of the box, IPB has more features that do not need to be 'plugged in' or 'hacked', and they also have their own official gallery, blog, portal, and top site list. None of which VB officially supports here yet but are available as polug ins or mods. Both feature the 'plug-in' feature, so installing mods to the forums isn't that hard at all for either forum.

Both are great boards...and I own both. But what it comes down to is what you are looking for feature wise and what is best for your community. IPB 2.1 and VB 3.5 are very close. There are features for both boards that I like and both boards feature many of the same features. I like IPB 2.1's Admin CP better, but VB 3.5 does have a few nice admin cp features as well. Its a tough call.

Is there anything in particular you are looking for or want from a board? Anything you need that you feel would benefit you and your community?

Also, if you do a conversion from IPB to VB, ALL users will need to reset their passwords because of the different password hashing. The reverse is also true.

I could put a list of why you should choose VB over IPB, but I could also do the same in reverse. Problem is, they now have many similar or the same features. What it comes down to are the UNIQUE features and like I said previously, what your community needs.

I myself would like to see a list of UNIQUE features that VB has.
          This would help seperate the men from the boys and help distinctify both boards a bit better.

Comment

Choose IPB if your going to have a lot of boards. vBulletin doesn't have very good premission controlers.
            You know you can't live without vBulletin!

Comment

Originally posted by denadai2
              server crash more with ipb
              Not true. I never had a server crash with IPB. And that was with close to 5,000 members and hundreds of thousands of posts. Next time, state fact please WITH proof. Ever think it could be the server itself and NOT the board? I know people that have had their VB boards crash as well.

I know VB has WYSIWYG and the DHTML menus.
              IPB 2.1 has them as well. This is why we need more 'VB only' feature comparisons.

Comment

It probably depends on your needs.
                vBulletin has support here on the forums and in the ticket system. For the customers that need support via telephone, they offer a seperate, paid, option.
                I find this fairer in that only the users get charged for telephone support that actually use it, and the costs don't get turned over to all the licenses.

I also like that vBulletin has five developers, which allows ideas to be kicked around a bit more. This once again allows a better implementation of these features.

I also like the fact that vBulletin is very fast to respond to security issues. Usually a fix is posted within 24 hours after discovery of a security risk.

These are all arguments for vBulletin, and not specifically against IPB. As you mention you've used both, you should decide which one you prefer working with, and go with that one.
                Best Regards
                Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Originally posted by somedudeer
                  Choose IPB if your going to have a lot of boards. vBulletin doesn't have very good premission controlers.
                  Wah?!
                  "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

Actually, as discussed in the other thread, vBulletin has a more powerful and thus more complex permission system.

If you're serious about your board you'll value this, if your aim is to get a few boards set up as fast as possible, that seems to be easier currently with IPB.
                    Best Regards
                    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

hey,

Stick with vB, they are improving and making a easier option for the permissions!
                      You know you can't live without vBulletin!

Comment

VB has been in business for what, 5 years? Maybe longer, I've had my liscence since vb2.0.2 and that was about 4-5 years ago I think.

IPB has been in business as a commerical (for profit) company for what, a year? Less?

I like playing the odds and odds are that my lifetime liscence will still be good in another 5 years. I dont know about IPB, which is not to say that they wont but *shrug*
                        Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                          VB has been in business for what, 5 years? Maybe longer, I've had my liscence since vb2.0.2 and that was about 4-5 years ago I think.

IPB has been in business as a commerical (for profit) company for what, a year? Less?

I like playing the odds and odds are that my lifetime liscence will still be good in another 5 years. I dont know about IPB, which is not to say that they wont but *shrug*
                          In other words, you don't know enough about IPB to give an informed comment? Wouldn't it have been better to just comment on what you know about VB then?

Comment

Originally posted by whitetigergrowl
                            In other words, you don't know enough about IPB to give an informed comment? Wouldn't it have been better to just comment on what you know about VB then?
                            He can comment on whatever he wants to. He was merely saying Jelost has been in the forum business longer than Invision.

Comment

If your good with putting the boards together and stuff it probably doesn't matter. If you don't need technical support you would likely be fine with either board.

I've had my site on an Invisionfree board for a while now and have never had a single problem with it. I just basically switched to an IPB and they installed it for me and everything (I'm not knowledgeable about working with the boards for the most part) and its running fine now.

I know I just ordered a vBulletin board the other day and has some problems with it. I dodn't spring for the paid technical support...figuring the simple 5 minute installation would be as advertised. Well it wasn't and while vBulletin was fine to talk to when I saw making the sale, they kind of disowned me once I had a technical problem.

I've honestly heard great things about the vbulledtin boards. I'm sure if your good with web design it probably won't matter which was you go. But to me the fact that IPB offered to install the board and transfer by old Invisionfree site over to it was very comforting. IPB seemed a bit more user friendly...or at least noob friendly.

But if you

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X