Setting up Vbulletin: Steps involved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up Vbulletin: Steps involved

I'm interested in getting Vbulletin up and running on company site.

Need to know what steps are involved in making it a reality.

Don't have much experience with PHP or MySQL but do have HTML experience.

Looking for the overall picture of what all is involved with hardware/software installation, pricing, etc. and wondering what I'll be up against in getting it going.

Originally posted by ryanAZ
    I'm interested in getting Vbulletin up and running on company site.

Need to know what steps are involved in making it a reality.

Don't have much experience with PHP or MySQL but do have HTML experience.

Looking for the overall picture of what all is involved with hardware/software installation, pricing, etc. and wondering what I'll be up against in getting it going.
    See the vBulletin manual here: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/
    You can also order a professional installation from Jelsoft/vBulletin.
    "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

Its fairly simple.

Pay, download, and unzip it.
      Edit one file to add in your mysql db info
      Upload everything to your server
      Then in your browser, its just point and click and your done.

After that its just a matter of preference for the forums you want to have for your site and any graphical changes you might want to do to better fit your company site.
      Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Thanks for the quick feedback. I guess I'm also looking a few steps back in the process before the actually vbulletin download install as well. Not quite sure right now if my site supports MySQL (I imagine it does). Being new to this just trying to understand process.

Does vbulletin typically reside on the same server where the web files (company website) are located? What costs (hardware/software) or steps are involved if I don't have MySQL db or want to set it up to be maintained in-house as opposed to where the site is hosted.

I'll most likely like to have it in-house so not quite sure on the min. requirements for getting MySQL setup in preperation for vbulletin. Not sure if those in this forum can answer since not directly related to vbulletin but thought I'd ask and see.
        Last edited by ryanAZ; Mon 15 Aug '05, 2:34pm.

Comment

Actually there are a few experts around here in php, mysql and servers - in fact, theres a forum here at vb.com just for server optimizations and related discussions. I am sure one of the resident server experts will come along soon but in the meantime...

the vbulletin files will reside in the web directory you wish the forum to be accessed from. The database which houses the posts and user info can reside on the same server or a different server altogether. This depends. If you have a host as opposed to hosting yourself, you may be able to ask them about alot of this.

Mysql and php are free and work in linux and windows but you may need to compile it if its not already compiled for your server.

You can copy/paste this into a blank text pad and save it as phpinfo.php and then upload it to your server. Try accessing the file from your browser, if you get a blue'ish color screen it means php is installed. Do a quick search and you will be able to see if mysql is available too.

<?php
          phpinfo();
          ?>
          Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X