Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phpbb data?

Hi there,

does anyone know if it is possible to import phpbb data into a vbulletin board?

cheers

Stu

That's possible.

See this post for more details: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...06&postcount=2
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin F
      That's possible.

See this post for more details: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...06&postcount=2
      cool, how would I go about doing it

is it quite hard?

Comment

where do I find the phpBB2 Importer 2.0.4 - 2.0.14 (MySQL & MSSQL)?

many thanks

Stu

Comment

ImpEx can be downloaded from the Members' Area. You need to be a licensed customer to be able to download the importers.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxy
            ImpEx can be downloaded from the Members' Area. You need to be a licensed customer to be able to download the importers.
            I strongly disagree with this policy. We should be able to try out the importer before purchasing vBulletin to see if it seems to work properly.

From my experience, these importers do not always work 100% so I am not forking out for a license without knowing for sure.

With IPB, you can do just that.

Comment

Originally posted by timk99
              I strongly disagree with this policy. We should be able to try out the importer before purchasing vBulletin to see if it seems to work properly.

From my experience, these importers do not always work 100% so I am not forking out for a license without knowing for sure.

With IPB, you can do just that.
              You can't get vB without being a licensed member (legally, that is). So what is the use of giving out ImpEx to unlicensed members.

Also, if IPB goes scrubs someone's ass, that doesn't mean vB also has to do it. They have their business model and Jelsoft has its own model which works for them. So, for heaven's sake stop comments like : IPB does this and vB doesn't.

BTW there have been no known issues with ImpEx and if they anyhow arise, Jerry is always there to help!
              =)

Comment

IPB's converters are free products, while vBulletin's ImpEx is not free, but rather, included with the purchase of vBulletin.

If you have any problems importing you will recieve support here on the forum as well as in the support system.
                Best Regards
                Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

I believe the term "there are no known issues" means that it's pretty good.

I can tell you from my experience, I converted from phpbb2 2.0.6 to vbulletin 3.0.8 and it was the best decision I've made in a long time. Just the peace of mind that there's a good, mature forum and good support.

But apart from that the import went perfectly to plan and was really easy to do and imported everything I wanted (heck, it even pulled my passwords across!).

So in terms of it working and working 100%, I can vouch for that. Brilliant product.

Comment

Yes but I have phpBB 2.0.17. It only says it supports up to 2.0.14 so why am I going to buy vBulletin without knowing if the import works ok.

Absolutely absurd.

Looks like I'm going for IPB for peace of mind. Free converters are the way to go - hope you're listening vBulletin.

Comment

Originally posted by timk99
                      Absolutely absurd.
                      No, absurd would be making freely available a technically useless product.

vBulletin requires a license, and is not free. What's the point of having access to the converter, without having the target software?

Comment

I wouldn't call it absurd either, I think your demands may be a bit unreasonable.
                        The version your talking about is not only the latest version of phpbb, it's also only been out for less than a month.
                        Basically if your phpbb forum is greater than three months old (or if you've not updated it in the last three months which I guess wouldn't make sense if you've got phpbb), it will convert just fine.

I'm sure the userbase is small, no offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Otaconda
                          vBulletin requires a license, and is not free. What's the point of having access to the converter, without having the target software?
                          Simple. So you can check the database tables and see that all the data has been converted correctly to the new vBulletin tables.

Comment

Impex Requires vBulletin to be run. Even if the converter was avaible, how do you propose to actually check the data is in the proper format without having access to the software?

Comment

I was assuming that ImpEx would tell you whether the import failed or succeeded as you would expect any decent importer to do.

Fair enough. I'll have to look elsewhere. I am not paying £82 for software with no assurances that the import will work beforehand.

Sorry but this is where IPB wins hands down. I get the assurance of knowing the import works before handing over my hard earned money.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X