phpBB2 > vbulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by randominity
    I went from phpbb to vBulletin and it was an amazing jump. The admin panel really opened my eyes as to how much better vBulletin is.
    Heh yeah.

a phpBB forum takes me about 30 minutes to configure. When I first migrated to vB it took about 20 hours. There's so many options!

Comment

Originally posted by ]SK[
      Heh yeah.

a phpBB forum takes me about 30 minutes to configure. When I first migrated to vB it took about 20 hours. There's so many options!
      20 hours is exagerated, but for me as well, it was surprisingly long. But it is worth, and I enjoy having so much control on the forum, no regret at all.
      It's just that you need time to discover what you can do first.

Comment

Well yeah maybe it is, I can tell you it took over 6 hrs at least though.

Comment

Hmm. I think when beta 3 hit the downloads It took me about 4 days to crawl though everything and have a play.

I can get all my basic permissions and vB options done ina bout 5 min now

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
            Hmm. I think when beta 3 hit the downloads It took me about 4 days to crawl though everything and have a play.

I can get all my basic permissions and vB options done ina bout 5 min now
            Yeah, it's a bit overwhelming going from phpbb2 to vBulletin admin wise, but once you get the hang of it, it's time well spent.

Comment

Move to vBulletin and you will be free of the threat of santy.c

Comment

phpbb to VB

I have been an ardent supporter of phpBB for the last 3 years. I run a fairly large forum (that would have actually been double the size if it wasn't for my webhosting company) and I was recently offered a peek into a VB admin panel through a friends forum.

At first, the sheer size of the admin panel threw me away, it was overwhelmingy complex and instead of being drawn to it, I actually was unnerved to return to it.

I am sure it has a lot of stuff and over time I'd get used to it too but on my first date with it, I wasn't very impressed. What I am impressed with is how larger boards seem to run blazingly well with VB and since my site continues to grow (we average about 4 million hits a month), I have been considering taking the leap of faith to vBulletin.

I am currently using a heavily modded version of phpBB that's using a sub forums mod. (The mod has a Caching system thats actually dropped the number of queries from a vanilla phpBB board by nearly half.) And to make things more complex, I have about 300 sub-forums on my site.....

My question is, will the migration tool work on the new version of this sub forums mod ? I have read it in the forums somewhere that wit a few adjustments, impex will work with 2.0.4 but there seems to be no mention if it will work with 2.1.1

-e-
                www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
                www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

Not sure what the subforums Mod is but the import script will only import the default phpBB data. There is no way to accommodate data from hacks.

Also I wasn't aware that phpBB was uip to version 2.1.1. It's very likely the import script willl need to be updated some to accomodate this, but that can and will be done by Jerry.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Apologies for the insufficient data, I was referring to CH 2.1.1 and CH 2.0.4 (that's Catageroies Heirarchy - the Sub Forums mod). I am running the latest version of phpBB (2.0.17) and I am aware that I would need to bring out sub forums that are 2 layers deep before running impex. My Question is, has the dev team here at VB played with this version of CH ??

-e-
                    www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
                    www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

I doubt it. Like Steve already said they only look at migrating a default board. The only way I can see of doing it is like you said, move all the data to the top forum and then do the import.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X