X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poolking
    replied
    Originally posted by _nick
    See, this is the one thing I dont like about vBulletin. You guys really should offer some kind of hosting/forum upkeep service for people who aren't too tech-savvy. Think of all the extra income involved, too.
    They used to have a hosting service but they decided to stop.

This is a support forum so members are free to ask about anything they are not sure about, why would jelsoft have to offer hosting to do that?

Also there are a lot of members with advanced knowledge that would be more than happy to help those in need.

Leave a comment:

• hotrod1
    replied
    I am 14 years old myself and I have installed and upgraded my own vbulletin board and others several times already. Sure I know a whole lot more then my parents about my computers but like you said not everyone is tech savvy and I bet that I am sure my parents are in the same position as me in other things too.

Leave a comment:

• Creepshow
    replied
    Originally posted by 1996 328ti
    If you can follow the instructions to assemble a BBQ grill you can install vBulletin.
    The only difference is you will not have any left over parts with vBulletin.
    Okay so you're saying that ANYONE in the world could install vB without a hitch? Not true.

I mean, take my parents for example, they wouldn't have a clue because they are not computer/net-savvy. Therefore they could not install vB. I'm sure they could assemble a BBQ grill though. Although I'm not sure what a BBQ grill has to do with this conversation.

Leave a comment:

• steven s
    replied
    I just find it amusing that people here think just anyone can install a php-based application as though it's second nature.
    If you can follow the instructions to assemble a BBQ grill you can install vBulletin.
    The only difference is you will not have any left over parts with vBulletin.

Leave a comment:

• TCM
    replied
    I just find it amusing that people here think just anyone can install a php-based application as though it's second nature.
    But... it's just so simple!

Leave a comment:

• Creepshow
    replied

Leave a comment:

• whitetigergrowl
    replied
    Seems a few of you have gone off track about what this guy was looking for. They don't seem to care about installing it. So how this turned into that convo is beyond me. He was looking for a hosting solution like IPB's where the board is included with the hosting, and there are no commitments or anything. You don't need to pay for a 1yr license for the board AND pay for hosting. What he's talking about is like what IPB offers where the board and hosting are all in one, where there are no comittments, no seperate costs, and is a simple and cost effective way for people to have forum only hosting, board included.

The plan he's talking about INCLUDES the board. Whereas if you were to go this route with VB, you would need to pay the yearly fee AND the cost of the host...vs. the $20 a month plan he shows that includes both...with no commitments.

No, VB does not offer such packages. You will need to spend the $85 for a yearly license AND whatever the hosting fee per month is for a cheap host. (You get what you pay for host-wise.)

Its doubtful Jelsoft will offer any such thing anytime soon.

Leave a comment:

• DJDarknez
    replied
    So long as you can read english, your good to go

The instructions for installing the software are very easy to understand. When I installed mine, I had no idea what I was doing. Fortunately, the install instructions were very easy to read.

Leave a comment:

• mholtum
    replied
    I am chillin..

Gotta cut me some slack. I been up all night working on my site.. Good thing I am technical.

Leave a comment:

• Creepshow
    replied
    Originally posted by mholtum
    ok, fine. You win.
    LOL I'm not arguing with you, just having a friendly debate. Chill.

Leave a comment:

• mholtum
    replied
    ok, fine. You win.

Leave a comment:

• Creepshow
    replied
    Well If I asked say, my grandad, to install vB, he wouldn't have a clue. So you do have to be technical to a degree. That's what I'm saying. Not just anyone can do it.

Leave a comment:

• mholtum
    replied
    But you are missing my point entirely. You really dont need to be technical. All you have to do is a couple very simple edits to the config.php file, upload the files and run the script.

Yes you might make a mistake and get an error message. But that is very easy to get help with.

But whatever.

I find it better to do it yourself. You then know what is going on and arn't relying on others to keep your board up and running. There is a bit of a learning curve, but people in general seem to pick it up fairly quickly..

Leave a comment:

• Creepshow
    replied
    Originally posted by mholtum
    vb is very easy to install and to maintain. My 15 yr old son installed it once for a buddy of mine.
    Yes, it's easy if you're technical. If you're not, it can be very difficult. Just because your 15yr old son can do it, doesn't mean it's easy for everybody else.

Leave a comment:

• mholtum
    replied
    vb is very easy to install and to maintain. My 15 yr old son installed it once for a buddy of mine.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X