Conversion From SMF ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversion From SMF ?

Is it possible to convert a SMF forum to vBulletin ? If so, is it possible to test the conversion before purchasing ?

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102412

Comment

Thanks.

Judging from that, it doesn't import member passwords. Is that correct ?

Comment

It's not listed there, so no, doesn't look like it does passwords.
        Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

that link to the smf conversion script is bad

Comment

I converted from SMF a while back. Everything worked perfect. The password issue is easily resolved by emailing all members with a link to reset thier passwords.
            Boards IrEland
            TopLists-add your site

Comment

That's not really a solution though. It's an opportunity for members to leave and go to rival boards. People often can't be bothered messing about with passwords. Also people often have moved email addresses and don't get these kinds of reminders.

InVision's converter does convert passwords just fine. So that's another option, if you want to leave SMF behind. I've had to do just that, which is a shame, as I was hoping to go the VB route.

Comment

I imported from SMF 1.1 RC2 to vB with no real problems other than some attachments disappearing and the password problem.

With the passwords i simply reminded all members to ensure they had valid email addys on their accounts, and then once the conversion was complete emailed them all with the link to change passwords.
                Of course there were people who had problems doing this, mainly because their email client kept binning the emails as spam, or because they were using Safari, which for some reason didn't seem to like working with vB.

But a little patience with them, and some manual adding of their passwords and all was sorted. They are, on the whole, very impressed with the switch.

But then i only had 150 members to worry about......

Comment

Hmmm, the Safari thing is interesting. Works fine here. But the SMF forums I want to convert have a lot of Safari users. Any more info on what the problem was?

Thanks.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X