X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellspire
    replied
    Originally posted by DJDarknez
    I used a nulled for a few months before I ponied up the cash and bought a legit license. Glad I did, too. It's worth it.
    That is true, quite worth it. I never regret buying my license.

Leave a comment:

• wbear
    replied
    Originally posted by Kidpaddle
    I think that piracy is what made MS Windows a worldwide standard for home computers,
    I believe it's more that they struck deals with manufacturers to include Windows with new systems. For all it's faults, it made computers dead easy.
    Piracy came after.

I never pirated VB, but bought it after trying out a friend's admin CP. He'd recommended it over IPB, and after trying it, I agreed.

Leave a comment:

• DJDarknez
    replied
    I used a nulled for a few months before I ponied up the cash and bought a legit license. Glad I did, too. It's worth it.

Leave a comment:

• Kidpaddle
    replied
    I think that piracy is what made MS Windows a worldwide standard for home computers, and that is the reason why Windows also became the OS for enterprise workstations (use what ppl are used to, so they do'nt need a long training). Now that the world is more or less conquered by Windows, they started to hunt for pirated versions. Yet, now, MS can't deny that the Linux community is growing, as Linux becomes easier to use and more accessible with time

Regarding vB, I never used a pirated version either. I bought it after having played one day with the demo admin control panel. For the rest, I knew vB very well as long time end user.

Personally, I agree that pirated versions are for several ppl a way to test further before they buy or change of product. But the problem are always those who will go on using and not pay.

Leave a comment:

• Colin F
    replied
    I read an article a while ago about pirated versions to be a type of marketing, but I can't seem to find it.

Allthough I don't agree entirely, it did have some interesting points.

Leave a comment:

• TCM
    replied
    I never used an illegal copy. I did use the admin demo repeatedly after I became hooked, but nothing more until I bought my owned lisence.

Leave a comment:

• Ken Iovino
    replied
    Well, there really isn't much they can do as my forums are legal.

When they find a site using a priated version of vBulletin, I think Jelsoft ask them to pay for a license before acually forcing them to shut down.

Leave a comment:

• technoguy
    replied
    Interesting thoughts, lets see how vB official reply to it

Leave a comment:

• Ken Iovino
    replied
    I would have to agree with your there. I used an illegal copy for about 3 months. As my board started to grow, It was time to pay up. Using the pirated copy of vBulletin is what actually introduced me to vBulletin and got me to buy it. But, I'm giving back to the community. With tons of referrals and now I've released 15+ hacks and counting.

Leave a comment:

• choppers4life
    replied
    you can bet we will

Leave a comment:

• steven s
    replied
    Originally posted by vat0r
    The thing I find humorous about all these vb evangelists seeking out pirated boards is that they spend more time busting boards then they do actually working to build their communities. Anyway, that's my half a cent's worth.
    I've never seen a bigger group of vigilantes in my life. Maybe some of them should be working for M$. I just hope no one here every sees me speeding. They'd probably report me too.

Leave a comment:

• vat0r
    replied
    While i'd never condone illegal activity I have to say that I know a few people who used the warez copy of vb to get a feel for modding it which is very important in my opinion when deciding which forum script to purchase (run locally btw). I know it's illegal but in these cases the warez copy was the deciding factor in them choosing to purchase your script and reccomending me to check it out. I'm running phpbb right now but i'm considering a purchase, just not sure yet.

I think the important thing to remeber is that the people running these warez boards obviously love the software because they risk running it illegally. I bet you many paying members, not all mind you, tried a warez copy before going legal.

The thing I find humorous about all these vb evangelists seeking out pirated boards is that they spend more time busting boards then they do actually working to build their communities. Anyway, that's my half a cent's worth.

Leave a comment:

• Ken Iovino
    replied
    If I told you the secret, then it wouldn't be a secret.

Honestly though, there is no way to determine if a board is running an illegal copy of vB. I think there's a way to tell if a board is using a nullified version, but I've never seen a nullified board as I've been a paying customer for over 2 years.

If you see something out of the ordinary, report it. Only Jelsoft can tell if its illegal or not

Leave a comment:

• BrandNIC
    replied
    I've seen a few that were questionable and have reported some of them myself, Want to share info on how to spot illegal boards? In private email or pm if that's ok.

Leave a comment:

• Ken Iovino
    replied
    Originally posted by ShadowGP
    No problem, i found out the technique a couple of days ago, and tested it on some boards i thought were illegal.
    What ever you do, don't report my board.

So, can we get like a free license if we find like 50+ priated borards???? j/k

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X