Just reported a illegal forum.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just reported a illegal forum.

Ok i reported a illegal forum, just wondering how long does jelsoft/vBulletin take to delete the board, unless they buy a license.
    I have also found a very easy way to find illegal board's if they download it from places like imesh/Limewire etc. If i'm allowed to post it that is.

Originally posted by ShadowGP
    Ok i reported a illegal forum, just wondering how long does jelsoft/vBulletin take to delete the board, unless they buy a license.
    I have also found a very easy way to find illegal board's if they download it from places like imesh/Limewire etc. If i'm allowed to post it that is.
    Depending on the country it's located in, I assume the amount of time can vary greatly. However, I don't think Jelsoft ever provides us with information about this (though I may be mistaken).

Comment

We do not disclose our procedure for dealing with piracy, but TCM is correct in that the amount of time required to shut down an illegal board varies because of many factors.

If you would like to pass on this information, you can send me a private message. Thank ou very much for your helkp in combatting piracy.
      Webmaster:
      @forumz

Comment

No problem, i found out the technique a couple of days ago, and tested it on some boards i thought were illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowGP
          No problem, i found out the technique a couple of days ago, and tested it on some boards i thought were illegal.
          What ever you do, don't report my board.

So, can we get like a free license if we find like 50+ priated borards???? j/k
          Ken Iovino
          Full Time PHP, Ruby and iOS Developer

Comment

I've seen a few that were questionable and have reported some of them myself, Want to share info on how to spot illegal boards? In private email or pm if that's ok.
            I've Gone to find Myself, If I return before I get back (Keep Me Here)

Comment

If I told you the secret, then it wouldn't be a secret.

Honestly though, there is no way to determine if a board is running an illegal copy of vB. I think there's a way to tell if a board is using a nullified version, but I've never seen a nullified board as I've been a paying customer for over 2 years.

If you see something out of the ordinary, report it. Only Jelsoft can tell if its illegal or not
              Ken Iovino

Comment

While i'd never condone illegal activity I have to say that I know a few people who used the warez copy of vb to get a feel for modding it which is very important in my opinion when deciding which forum script to purchase (run locally btw). I know it's illegal but in these cases the warez copy was the deciding factor in them choosing to purchase your script and reccomending me to check it out. I'm running phpbb right now but i'm considering a purchase, just not sure yet.

I think the important thing to remeber is that the people running these warez boards obviously love the software because they risk running it illegally. I bet you many paying members, not all mind you, tried a warez copy before going legal.

The thing I find humorous about all these vb evangelists seeking out pirated boards is that they spend more time busting boards then they do actually working to build their communities. Anyway, that's my half a cent's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by vat0r
                  The thing I find humorous about all these vb evangelists seeking out pirated boards is that they spend more time busting boards then they do actually working to build their communities. Anyway, that's my half a cent's worth.
                  I've never seen a bigger group of vigilantes in my life. Maybe some of them should be working for M$. I just hope no one here every sees me speeding. They'd probably report me too.
                  ...steven
                  www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                  bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                  "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

you can bet we will

Comment

I would have to agree with your there. I used an illegal copy for about 3 months. As my board started to grow, It was time to pay up. Using the pirated copy of vBulletin is what actually introduced me to vBulletin and got me to buy it. But, I'm giving back to the community. With tons of referrals and now I've released 15+ hacks and counting.
                      Ken Iovino

Comment

Interesting thoughts, lets see how vB official reply to it

Comment

Well, there really isn't much they can do as my forums are legal.

When they find a site using a priated version of vBulletin, I think Jelsoft ask them to pay for a license before acually forcing them to shut down.
                          Ken Iovino

Comment

I never used an illegal copy. I did use the admin demo repeatedly after I became hooked, but nothing more until I bought my owned lisence.

Comment

I read an article a while ago about pirated versions to be a type of marketing, but I can't seem to find it.

Allthough I don't agree entirely, it did have some interesting points.
                              Best Regards
                              Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X