Installing in same database as PHPBB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing in same database as PHPBB?

I'm about to install Vbulletin. Should I install it in the same database where I had PHPBB. Will it overright any of the PHPBB stuff. I won't be importing the data but want to keep the old forum as an archive.

Regarding folders, can I rename the PHPBB folder from Forum to OldForum and then install Vbulleting in the Forum Folder.

And is it possible to install Vbulletin in folder Newforum to start and then rename that folder to Forum later?

Hi Demerse:

Yes you can install in the same database if you want to. To avoid potential conflicts in your database, during the vBulletin installation, be sure to add a database table prefix, ie vb or something of your choice so that chances of two conflicting tables are close to zero.

Yes you can install vBulletin in /forum or /newforum but regardless of where you put it, be sure to update the URL in the members area to the most current active board URL.

BTW, I do know you don't want to import any phpBB data, like threads and stuff, but something to consider at least is at least import users. This way you don't get a bunch of annoyed users trying to figure out why their login doesn't work
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
      Hi Demerse:

Yes you can install in the same database if you want to. To avoid potential conflicts in your database, during the vBulletin installation, be sure to add a database table prefix, ie vb or something of your choice so that chances of two conflicting tables are close to zero.

Yes you can install vBulletin in /forum or /newforum but regardless of where you put it, be sure to update the URL in the members area to the most current active board URL.

BTW, I do know you don't want to import any phpBB data, like threads and stuff, but something to consider at least is at least import users. This way you don't get a bunch of annoyed users trying to figure out why their login doesn't work

Thanks for that. Yeah, I was just reading the manual on import and thought I would have to import everything. Importing just users would be ideal. Is it easy to do this. Also, what I really want is to clean up by user database to have only users with valid email addresses (no hotmail etc either).

Is it impossible to import all users and then force them to imput a valid email address before they can post in the new forum?

Comment

Heya Demerse:

No you don't have to import everything. What happens is in Impex, it's basically several steps that makes up the entire phpBB import process. You get to choose which steps you desire. So basically just skip the part about importing forums, threads, posts, and just jump directly to the users . That should get everyone imported.

As for valid email addresses, I can't give out much more details on how to forbid users from using addresses like Hotmail.com, but a simple tweak in the AdminCP settings can definitely force them to change it
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Cheers Josh, Thanks for the quick replies.
          Don't quite understand the last bit but never mind, I'll press on anyway and ask questions later.
          Just to confirm though, it is easy to prevent new vbulletin users from using hotmail, gmail etc right?
          And finally, importing the users doesn't effect my PHPBB setup right? It will continue to work during the procedure?

Comment

Sorry bout the last part, I was in a bit of a rush to grab a bite to eat. But my last part should have said that I'm not really allowed to answer that sort of question as it does cross into the support side of vBulletin.

But yes, it effectively prevents new vBulletin users (and current if you desire) from using hotmail.com, gmail, etc.

Importing doesn't affect your phpBB setup as it's merely reading the data during that import process .

Comment

Ah ok, see what you mean.
              Thanks again. I'll go and purchase now and let you get back to your breakfast.

Comment

Actually midnight snack . LOL.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X