Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vbulletin or invisionboard and integration

Hello,

I'm looking forward to change the forum on my website. I have take a look on vbulletin and invisionboard, they look great and they have the features I want. But I will make my choose with other arguments: what is the quality of the support of vbulletin, is the code simple to understand, etc.

What's the most important for me is integration. I need to change my forum. I want to have the user table of vbulletin to be the only user table. Is it possible to create an external page for registration/login/profile, etc. ? I want also to update the group of user from a external page. I have PHP & MySQL so it's not a problem to code. I also need to know if it's possible to manage the session from external pages (if a user is login on the forum, it must be login on the rest of the site, if someone change his profile the change appears in the forum and on the rest of my website) ?

Is there a simple way to do this ? With some php class or include some php file to access some methods ?

Thanks a lot for your answers Simon

Originally posted by sganiere
    What is the quality of the support of vbulletin, is the code simple to understand, etc.
    I can safely say that no one can touch the quality of our support. It's one of our biggest selling points. Take a look around the forums and you will see how well we handle questions, and this is the "unofficial method" of support. Our Support Ticket System response times are publishe on our front page. We're a litte slower on the weekends than during the week.

What's the most important for me is integration. I need to change my forum. I want to have the user table of vbulletin to be the only user table. Is it possible to create an external page for registration/login/profile, etc.?
    There are a couple of plugins already available for vB 3.5 to log in from external pages. I don't know of any external registration/profile pages, though, and don't understand why you would need them since they would be duplicates, but it's possible to do if you have php and MySQLcoding experience.

I want also to update the group of user from a external page. I have PHP & MySQL so it's not a problem to code.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I also need to know if it's possible to manage the session from external pages (if a user is login on the forum, it must be login on the rest of the site, if someone change his profile the change appears in the forum and on the rest of my website) ?

Is there a simple way to do this ? With some php class or include some php file to access some methods ?
    There is an On The Fly API in vB 3.5, so it should be doable.

We don't offer official support here on these forums for the types of things that you are wanting to do, but we do have a Mods community here:

http://www.vbulletin.org

Here are the particular forums for mods for 3.5:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=109

There are 199 mods available already, and vB 3.5 isn't even in full release yet.
    Webmaster:
    @forumz

Comment

Originally posted by Martin
      I'm not sure what you mean by this.
      First, thank a lot of your answer. It will help me to choose the right forum . I will take a look to the vbulletin.org website.

I want to modify the group of a user by an external link. To be precise, the new version of my website will have a subscription to access some downloads, news, etc...and of course to access some restricted forum. I want the following thing: when a user subscribe to my website the group of the user is changed in the user table. So i will create a group of user with special forum permission and when the user subscribe he switch to this group.

I know there is a possibility to have a subscription feature with vbulletin. But I don't know if I can use it as I want : if a user subscribe with the vbulletin feature can I make a query to the DB to know if the currently login user has subscribe ?

Just question with the version 3.5. I know the current version is 3.0.8 but if I buy vbulletin now I hope to have a free access to this release ?

Thanks, Simon

Comment

There are mods available at vBulletin.org that deal specifically with subsctiptions and downloads. There are also portal programs that will allow you to set up a downloads section based on usergroups.
        The Subcriptions system will move the user to a Usergroup you specify for a time period you specify.

Sounds like a lot of what you want is already available. Should save you a lot of time coding.

License holders have access to both 3.0.8 and 3.5. You will have access to all updates for a period of 1 year. After that time, you can optionally renew access to updates for a nominal fee. The current cost is $30US for an owned license. If you went with the lease option, you would need to either renew the lease, upgrade to owned or remove the software from your server.
        Webmaster:
        @forumz

Comment

I have just bought vbulletin yesterday now I'm learning how to do what I want.

Thanks a lot for your answers, Simon

PS: when I have finished the new version of my website I'll post the URL in the forum

Comment

Don't forget about this form

http://www.vbulletin.com/members/mem...t_priority.php
            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X