Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the vB license allows for this? Is it legal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floris
    replied
    No problem. Of course we're open for feedback, if a change might ever be required we will look into it.

Leave a comment:

• VietLang
    replied
    Originally posted by Floris
    Hopefully this doesn't turn into yet another ipb vs vb thread..

To be honest, we have a license agreement, and we review it once in a while, so far we've learned what we have works and we don't need to change.
    Thank you

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Hopefully this doesn't turn into yet another ipb vs vb thread..

To be honest, we have a license agreement, and we review it once in a while, so far we've learned what we have works and we don't need to change.

Leave a comment:

• Zecherieh
    replied
    You sure are stuck on mod rewrite, why bother with it?

All you have to do is point as many domains as you want at one installation, then put in a prepend file in php and from the host name determine what forums to show and not show, etc.

...and as far as having multiple names, I literally have a few hundred (that for the most part dont get any traffic, and I 302 em) that point to the same forum at times. Sometimes I move them to another place, but for the most part, they just sit there and point at that one intallation, and work on each domain name with out a problem (though I force them all to one domain when I remember to actually do that )

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    While your suggestion is undoubtly appreciated, the business rationale behind it isn't sound enough. I would normally say in insances like Microsoft, where software could be expensive to distribute on multiple individual computers, it undoubtly gets really expensive, especially in the long run, however its restricted to one computer if we think about it, and distributing en-mass would require multiple licenses because of certain restrictions.

However in the instance of vBulletin, there are legal ways of getting around the restriction, like taking advantage of features in apache like modrewrite to do the work for you without doing the hard work. Moreover, since it's a forum platform software, and you're allowed to create multiple forums, getting around and creating multiple forums to replicate your goals is accomplishable within one license.

Rather than taking an easier way out to accomplish something, why not just sit down, and figure a way out to do what you want to do within the license agreement. I've named two already. There's at least two more possibilities.

Leave a comment:

• Onimua
    replied
    Originally posted by jmvb
    Of course people would do that and that's what they want off their purchased board for their community. Not everybody is going to buy a second SUPER expensive license for another part of their community anyway.

If you do a crappy job of course you lose money. If you do a good, smart job it will not cost you money.

You'll be forced to do it soon anyway as IBP is working on that now... That's an ability a TON of users want from their boards. Do a poll and you'll see how many people want that.
    Why would they be forced to change anything soon? From the things I have heard and seen, Jelsoft hasn't changed much, if anything, on their licenses, procedures, etc. in the five years they have been running, while IPB has changed how many times in the past few months? That's one of the reason why vBulletin is well-known, because of its consistancy for so long. They've kept customers number one, and it shows.

As for what users want from their boards, what's why there's a suggestion forum for possible inclusion in later updates.

Leave a comment:

• jmvb
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin
    No we shouldn't. What advantage is there to us? Instead of buying multiple licenses for multiple sites, people would just do:

xbox.mysite.com
    realitytv.mysite.com
    politics.mysite.com

etc.

The only thing your idea does is cost us money. Our quality and the quality of our support already gets a large number of people from IBP.
    Of course people would do that and that's what they want off their purchased board for their community. Not everybody is going to buy a second SUPER expensive license for another part of their community...

If you do a crappy job of course you lose money. If you do a good, smart job it will not cost you money.

You'll be forced to do it soon anyway as IBP is working on that now... That's an ability a TON of users want from their boards. Do a poll and you'll see how many people want that.
    Last edited by jmvb; Tue 22 Nov '05, 1:26pm.

Leave a comment:

• KimmiKat
    replied
    I did the same thing until the host made policy changes. 2 domains went to the same account, files, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    vBulletin.nl is an apache alias to vBulletin-Fans.com
    and vBulletin.nl doesn't show as if it is a completely seperate installation, it doesn't display any other images, styles or cookie settings, etc as then those of the vbfans installation (for which I of course have a license hehe)

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    It's my understanding what Floris is doing right now is completely permissible. One set of files, just basically a mod_rewrite via apache.

www.vbulletin.nl
    www.vbulletin-fans.com

Leave a comment:

• CMilne
    replied
    Yeah, perhaps slightly discounted, like $70 for additional sub-domain installations instead of $85 ( for yearly ) or $130 instead of $160 ( for full ), and you have to have a full license for the domain, and then a sub-domain-license for each sub-domain of your primary domain you run it on.

Not a bad idea really, mind you, they'd have to make up new rules to prevent people from mis-using and re-selling, e.g. username.domain.tld.

Leave a comment:

• KimmiKat
    replied
    $5 is to cheap anyway. Plus it's something else to keep track of and answer bizillion questions. It would have to be at least $80 or up to be worth it.

Anyway the current system has been working good for many moons.

Leave a comment:

• roscoe36
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin
    The only thing your idea does is cost us money. Our quality and the quality of our support already gets a large number of people from IPB.
    Darn straight.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Vbulletin people should allow more than one installation as long as it is in the same domain. Maybe charge $5 extra for a set numbers of subdomain installations to be fair. With a move like that, it will drive all members from IPb and other boards to vbulletin.
    No we shouldn't. What advantage is there to us? Instead of buying multiple licenses for multiple sites, people would just do:

xbox.mysite.com
    realitytv.mysite.com
    politics.mysite.com

etc.

The only thing your idea does is cost us money. Our quality and the quality of our support already gets a large number of people from IPB.

Leave a comment:

• Sovereign
    replied
    Maybe charge $5 extra...
    Don't give them ideas!

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X