Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the vB license allows for this? Is it legal?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Does the vB license allows for this? Is it legal?

    Question 1:

    Does the VB license allows for this? Is it legal?

    $160 vbulletin owned license installed as shown below:

    sports.site1.com
    Adults.site1.com
    Businesses.site1.com
    cars.site1.com
    pchelp.site1.com

    Question 2:

    I don't know too much about what I can do or cannot do with vbulletin but can my forum contain adult contents without violating Vbulletin license agreement? I'd say that's none of your business as it is my board (or at least I think so) but I don't know, all these legalities have me confused...

  • #2
    One Owned License, as does Leased, allowed you to run one installation of vBulletin. So basically, in order to have a different vBulletin board for each of your sub-domains, you must purchase a license for each of them.

    As to the second question... there are vBulletin owners with Adult content on their site, so yes, it should be no problem (as long as there are no conflicts with the license agreement).
    Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks Onimua. Can administration confirm this? Look forward to your response.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jmvb
        Thanks Onimua. Can administration confirm this? Look forward to your response.
        I'm not admin or anything, but you can definitely have adult content on your vB. LOADS of sites do it, trust me. I can think of about 10 off the top of my head.
        "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jmvb
          Question 1:

          Does the VB license allows for this? Is it legal?

          $160 vbulletin owned license installed as shown below:

          sports.site1.com
          Adults.site1.com
          Businesses.site1.com
          cars.site1.com
          pchelp.site1.com
          That would require 5 seperate licenses since it is 5 seperate installations.

          Originally posted by jmvb
          Question 2:

          I don't know too much about what I can do or cannot do with vbulletin but can my forum contain adult contents without violating Vbulletin license agreement? I'd say that's none of your business as it is my board (or at least I think so) but I don't know, all these legalities have me confused...
          Unless your content is illegal and is reported to us, then your license will be revoked.

          As for adult content, that's your business, but we will not include it in the links directory.
          Webmaster:
          @forumz

          Comment


          • #6
            Correct me if I'm wrong Martin, but I thought we could use aliases as long as they point to exact same copies of the vBulletin installation.

            ie. site1.com is the exact same as site2.com
            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

            Comment


            • #7
              That doesn't sound like what he's proposing.

              If he is talking about using a URL redirection to point to a specific category (ie: pchelp) then it would be legal, as long as he is only using a single installation of the board.
              Webmaster:
              @forumz

              Comment


              • #8
                You could do what I am thinking of doing. Getting a different skin for each category of my forums, removing the link to the 'MAIN' forum/category listing, and then having each sub-url redirect to the category on my main url. Thus it would appear as if I had multiple different installations, when in fact, I only have one.

                E.g. gaming.mydomain.tld would redirect to forums.mydomain.tld/forumdisplay.php?f=15

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by CMilne
                  You could do what I am thinking of doing. Getting a different skin for each category of my forums, removing the link to the 'MAIN' forum/category listing, and then having each sub-url redirect to the category on my main url. Thus it would appear as if I had multiple different installations, when in fact, I only have one.

                  E.g. gaming.mydomain.tld would redirect to forums.mydomain.tld/forumdisplay.php?f=15
                  Good idea Cmilne. I might have to do that. Vbulletin people should allow more than one installation as long as it is in the same domain. Maybe charge $5 extra for a set numbers of subdomain installations to be fair. With a move like that, it will drive all members from IPb and other boards to vbulletin.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jmvb
                    Maybe charge $5 extra...
                    Don't give them ideas!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jmvb
                      Vbulletin people should allow more than one installation as long as it is in the same domain. Maybe charge $5 extra for a set numbers of subdomain installations to be fair. With a move like that, it will drive all members from IPb and other boards to vbulletin.
                      No we shouldn't. What advantage is there to us? Instead of buying multiple licenses for multiple sites, people would just do:

                      xbox.mysite.com
                      realitytv.mysite.com
                      politics.mysite.com

                      etc.

                      The only thing your idea does is cost us money. Our quality and the quality of our support already gets a large number of people from IPB.
                      Webmaster:
                      @forumz

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Martin
                        The only thing your idea does is cost us money. Our quality and the quality of our support already gets a large number of people from IPB.
                        Darn straight.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          $5 is to cheap anyway. Plus it's something else to keep track of and answer bizillion questions. It would have to be at least $80 or up to be worth it.

                          Anyway the current system has been working good for many moons.
                          Kim

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Yeah, perhaps slightly discounted, like $70 for additional sub-domain installations instead of $85 ( for yearly ) or $130 instead of $160 ( for full ), and you have to have a full license for the domain, and then a sub-domain-license for each sub-domain of your primary domain you run it on.

                            Not a bad idea really, mind you, they'd have to make up new rules to prevent people from mis-using and re-selling, e.g. username.domain.tld.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It's my understanding what Floris is doing right now is completely permissible. One set of files, just basically a mod_rewrite via apache.

                              www.vbulletin.nl
                              www.vbulletin-fans.com
                              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X