Please, I am a complete beginner but want to learn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please, I am a complete beginner but want to learn

I would love to create a poetry site using vbulletin. the first part would be easy it seems, purchasing a license and paying vbulletin to provide professional help to get the software in place.

My problem comes with the next bit:

I have zero experience with web providers. I only have a simple free website at the moment and have only just dabbled in html.

I desperately need some simple plain English advice on a step-by-step basis on how to go about the web provider part. i.e. What do I need to do BEFORE I purchase vbulletin.

Please... Can anyone help me?

Welcome. I have a poetry forum on my vBulletin site. Take a look: http://www.sourbee.co.uk/beehive

You need to register before you can view the poetry forum though, which is why it looks empty.

Regarding a web provider, you'll need something with a bit more 'oopmh' than the free webspace you're using at the moment. You'll need a web provider that supports MySQL and PHP. The provider I and many other vBulletin users will recommend are A Small Orange. If you need a domain name for your site you can also register this with Small Orange.

After that, it's a just case of paying for vBulletin, downloading it and uploading it to your new webspace. Then you can start setting up your forum.

Comment

I would also like to throw in a plug for www.site5.com I've had nothing but outstanding support from them.

Once you get the host, the rest is pie. just buy, download, and upload the vB software.

Comment

Originally posted by .oO neil Oo.
        Regarding a web provider, you'll need something with a bit more 'oopmh' than the free webspace you're using at the moment. You'll need a web provider that supports MySQL and PHP. The provider I and many other vBulletin users will recommend are A Small Orange. If you need a domain name for your site you can also register this with Small Orange.

After that, it's a just case of paying for vBulletin, downloading it and uploading it to your new webspace. Then you can start setting up your forum.
        What he said. I also use ASO and have found their service and support to be exceptional. As neil said, setting it up is very easy. When I did it, I knew nothing about PHP and the like; you just need to follow simple step-by-step instructions.

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you VERY much Neil, John and TCM, that helps!

Neil, I'll certainly pop over and check out your site.

Just a question re. the host, how much can I expect to pay?

I looked at the procedures for getting the vbulletin software onto the site after the web provider was in place, it looked VERY complex (to me). If I paid vbulletin the fee £61 or so, would they look after every last little detail re. putting all this in place so that there were no gobbledygook niggly stuff for me to do such as amending file names etc. Essentially what I'm asking is, could I just arrange the web provider, pay the fee and then have the basic forum there to use without any need for me to do any of the nuts and bolts?

Also, I live in the United Kingdom, does that impact things at all. (I know it doesn't re. vbulletin software but as regards the host, do you know if the ones you guys gave me cater to non-US residents?

I'm probably just being lazy here, I have just read your comments and havn't linked to the web providers you mention yet.

I'll take a look now....

Thank you friends.
          Last edited by Jirina; Thu 28 Jul '05, 2:46am.

Comment

Hiya Jirina:

It all depends on who you choose for hosting and what package. There should be several discussions going on at the vBulletin Hosting Options forum and it should give you an idea what you want.

Webhostingtalk.com is probably one of the best places to ask which host is best for you.
            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Thank you Josh, I'll take a look.

re. vbulletin doing all the hard work for me, would that be possible? have I got that right? (I'm naturally nervous about the fiddling with file names and such like that I read on the vbulletin upload documentation...)

Comment

Neil, I registered at your site as Steeleyes and tried to post a poem but it's saying I can't. (???)

The site seems to be only marginally a poetry site I see... Still it's good to see a vbull. site in its beginning stages. When I set up my own it would be good to get your advice on changes to my formats, pics, avatars, similies and so on...

Thanks!

Comment

What do you mean by "vbulletin doing all the hard work"? Are you looking for some sort of complete solution, hosting and platform?
                  ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                  Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

When I was reading through the vbulletin prices there was a price for professional setting up of the site - cost £51. I just wondered if it was the case that I

a) Arranged a web host
                    b) Paid the £61 to vbulletin

and then hey presto my site was up and ready for my changes to format, adding forums etc.

Or...?

Comment

Originally posted by Jirina
                      Neil, I registered at your site as Steeleyes and tried to post a poem but it's saying I can't. (???)

The site seems to be only marginally a poetry site I see... Still it's good to see a vbull. site in its beginning stages. When I set up my own it would be good to get your advice on changes to my formats, pics, avatars, similies and so on...

Thanks!
                      Thanks for registering at the site, I thought it'd give you an idea of what vB is capable of. The poetry forum is in an area where access is restricted until you make one post - reason being, there are creative types who use the forum to discuss projects they're working on for clients, so I wanted to guarantee a limited amount of discretion.

Just make a post in the Introduce or General forum and you'll be in.

It's relatively easy to install vBulletin - it's just a case of adding your login and password to the config file and then uploading everything into your webspace - then you just run the install script. It'll be a good technical grounding for you and if you make a mistake, then you're in no danger of 'breaking' anything.

The members on this forum will be able to offer advice as you need it.

Comment

Thanks Neil

Thank you Neil, I've got the site up and running now (fast work huh! - Well, it wasn't me personally who did it of course!) but as you have a site already I wonder if you wouldn't mind helping me a little...?

I want to do the following but don't know how:

a) Change the colour of the vbulletin forum
                        b) Change the look from wide to a more cosy central area
                        b) Add at least one photo to the front page and add header text
                        c) upload avatars

I'm sorry if this is a lot to ask... Have you some tips for me?

(I'll try to access and post at your site again soon...)

Comment

I've been reading up on this and it seems I can change the format using something called the CSS Main then page background...

(I don't know what the CSS Main is, it's not the 'Main Forum' is it because I deleted that! If I need it is there some way I can get it back?)

Comment

I also reccomend Site5.com, outstanding service, brilliant prices, etc etc. 4 Months and going strong ^_^.

vBulletin is fairly easy to get up and running once you have a compatible host, and if you have any issues, thats what these forums are here for

Comment

A lot of info, including color maps, can be found in the vBulletin manual:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/
                              Best Regards
                              Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X