Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Thank you for purchasing vBulletin. You do not need to upload the 'do_not_upload' folder and files.

To get vB support on these forums you first need to register for Priority Forum Support. To do this, please go here:

http://members.vbulletin.com/membersupport_priority.php

...and enter your email address in one of the boxes. You'll need to have your customer number and password to access the page. Once you've done this, please post in the appropriate support forum for your version.

Leave a comment:

• SCI
    replied
    Thanks Derek, very helpful I appreciate it!

I just purchased the vBulletin I created a folder named vbulletin on my server and uploaded the .zip file to it. I extracted the files in there and renamed the config.php

What is up with the files in the do not upload folder. Should I delete that folder or should I keep it?

I went into phpmyadmin on my server and tried to create a new database but it said access denied. I have 2 mysql databases and I currently am running only 1 for the phpbb board so Im not sure what happened there

I contacted my host to set one up for me and give me the info so I can put it in the config.php file before I install.

Leave a comment:

• derekivey
    replied
    You will either have to rename the folder phpBB is in or just delete it then rename your vB folder to forum. If you are sure that everything is working after the import, then you can if you want delete the phpBB database. Yes, you will have the same members posts, forums, and most of the settings from your old forum will move to the vBulletin database.

Yes, putting your header and navigation bar from your site would be easy. You just do that in the Admin CP under the styles section.

Derek

Leave a comment:

• SCI
    replied
    Thanks Floris

I understand everything now except for when I want to rename the /vBulletin folder to /forum where my phpbb forum is currently running now. what will happen to the phpbb files? Also, when Im done the install and import on vBulletin, can I go ahead and delete the phpbb database all together? When I do the install and import will I have the same members, posts, forums, etc running on both databases?

I want to put my header and navigation bar on my home page up top of the vBulliten forum to go along with the rest of my site, is this easy?

Thanks again That will be it and I will purchase

Leave a comment:

• SCI
    replied
    Thanks Derek

So before running the vBulletin install on my server, I should create a mysql database 1st in phpmyadmin?

Say I create a folder named test, can I upload the vBulliten .zip file to it and then extract the files on my server, then edit the config.php before I run the install?

My forum now is phpbb and its at /forum when Im done setting up the vBulletin on /test can I just rename the /test folder with forum? Will this overwrite whats currently there now or will I have to delete my phpbb /forum folder 1st then rename it forum for vBulletin?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Originally posted by SCI
    Hello,
    Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the vBulletin forum software and for contacting vBulletin sales.

Originally posted by SCI
    I am going to purchase the leased subsription today. But before I do thier is some questions I need answered please. I am currently running phpbb 2.0.16
    That is really nice of you, thank you for your purchase and hopefully we will talk to you soon again as a licensed customer!

Originally posted by SCI
    1. Do I need to create a new database in phpmyadmin on my server for the vbulletin before I go through the installation process, so i can configure the cofig.php before installation?
    Yes, you should modify config.php before install.

You can have vBulletin create a database for you during installation, but it is smarter (because of file & other server permissions) to make a MySQL database yourself. And to at least modify the config.php.new file. (And rename it to config.php too of course).

If you want to use an existing database please make sure you add a table prefix to your config.php file, like vb_

Originally posted by SCI
    2. Can I just upload the .zip file for vBulletin to a directory on my server then extract the files and edit the config.php from there?
    * Download the vbulletin.zip to your computer,
    * Unpack it
    * Rename includes/config.php.new to includes/config.php
    * Edit config.php and put in your details
    * Upload all the files
    * Run install/install.php

Alternativly you can download a .zip and unpack it on your server and modify the config.php there.

Originally posted by SCI
    3. I want to keep my current phpbb board running as normal in the same directory while setting up and importing members, ect to vbulletin, so can I upload the vBulletin to another directory on my server, get everything set up the way I want it and then go live with it when its complete? Id much rather keep my current board running, then switch it to vBulletin when its totally complete and ready to go live rather then setting it up with users online. Then after its all complete, do I delete the phpbb database and move or rename the vbulletin to the same directory(forum) the phpbb was on?
    Yes, you can for example run it like this:

yoursite.com/forum/ (current)
    yoursite.com/vBulletin/ (new)

And install vBulletin.
    And install Impex & import from phpBB.

After install & import you can rename the vBulletin directory and update the global site settings to point to the new directory name.

Originally posted by SCI
    4. What version of Vbulletin should I install? If I install the Beta 3.5 today, will I need to update when the stable of 3.5 comes out?
    Note: Impex doesn't work with 3.5 yet, so get 3.0.7 and then you can import from phpBB to vBulletin. After the import you can always upgrade to 3.5.0 beta 4. And if any new version comes out you will be able to upgrade from 3.5.0 beta 4 to that new version. We can't give you an ETA on any upcoming releases.

Originally posted by SCI
    Thanks much appreciated
    You're welcome, and we're looking forward to your purchase.

More info:
    http://www.vBulletin.com/docs/html/ (vBulletin installation and usage manual)
    http://www.vBulletin.com/docs/html/impex (Impex installation and usage manual)

All the best,

Leave a comment:

• derekivey
    replied
    Yes, you are allowed to install it in another directory and get it just how you want it. Just make sure to have that url in your members area here. Then change it to yourdomain.tld/forum when you move it to the forum directory. You will have to make a new database for vBulletin before you install it also. vB 3.5 Beta is not recommended for live sites but if you want you can use it. I am using vB 3.0.7 on my live site and vB 3.5 on my test site.

Hope this helps...

Derek

Leave a comment:

• SCI
    started a topic A Couple Of Questions!

A Couple Of Questions!

Hello,

I am going to purchase the leased subsription today. But before I do thier is some questions I need answered please. I am currently running phpbb 2.0.16

1. Do I need to create a new database in phpmyadmin on my server for the vbulletin before I go through the installation process, so i can configure the cofig.php before installation?

2. Can I just upload the .zip file for vBulletin to a directory on my server then extract the files and edit the config.php from there?

3. I want to keep my current phpbb board running as normal in the same directory while setting up and importing members, ect to vbulletin, so can I upload the vBulletin to another directory on my server, get everything set up the way I want it and then go live with it when its complete? Id much rather keep my current board running, then switch it to vBulletin when its totally complete and ready to go live rather then setting it up with users online. Then after its all complete, do I delete the phpbb database and move or rename the vbulletin to the same directory(forum) the phpbb was on?

4. What version of Vbulletin should I install? If I install the Beta 3.5 today, will I need to update when the stable of 3.5 comes out?

Thanks much appreciated