Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Machol
    replied
    With vBulleton members choose to become a member of a publicly joinable usergroup, not a specific forum. However you can edit the forum permissions to allow access for specific forums to specific groups. So the short answer is - yes, you can do this in vBulletin.

I suggest you start an Admin Demo so you can see what forum and usergroup permissions are available. You can set one up for your own use from this page:

http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    replied
    Pre-sales question (that anyone can see and get the answer to): Is *function* possible.

Support question (that only licensed members have access to ask): How is *function* done, explain in detail.

Leave a comment:

• krot
    replied
    Hi Kall.

Actually this is where the directions for pre-sales support lead to. However, if I should change it's location perhaps the moderator could let me know, I'd appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    replied
    I have a feeling these types of questions are supposed to be answered in the Support forums...

Leave a comment:

• krot
    replied
    Thanks.
    Ok. Here's the situation ..

I have 5 forums each representing an area of expertise - let's call them Forums 1 through 5. Each user may choose to become a member of one or more forums after acceptance by the forum's moderator. In each of the forums, the users vary in their level of understanding, which we can group in 5 levels from zero to guru - let's call them Levels A=AbsoluteZero, B=Basic, C=Competent, D=DarnedGood, E=Excellent. A and B may receive advice but not give it, in any of the forums they are registered in. C through E in each forum may give advice in that forum, ranging from C giving basic advice, to E giving advanced advice at the guru level.

Now, a user who may be an E in Forum 1, a C in Forum 3, and an A in Forum 5. This means they would be able to ask questions in all three forums, and give different levels of advice in Forums 1 and 3.

Also, there would only be one moderator in each forum, and they would be at the E level only. There may be any number of C and D advisors per forum.

Moderators (only) of all forums should be able to access all forums regardless of whether they are officially registered to use them. This is to allow a more rounded knowledge of our industry. They could not, however, give any advice on those which they are not qualified to give advice on (as defined before).

I hope this explains what our intentions are. If you have any questions I'd be glad to detail out the answers for you.
    Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Colin F
    replied
    I have a feeling that's not what he's looking for...

krot,
    Could you describe a bit better what you're looking to do?
    The way I understood it, you could just make 25 usergroups (5x5), and assign one for each forum as a secondary usergroup to each user.

Leave a comment:

• stillo
    replied
    Originally posted by krot
    Hi:
    In order to determine whether this forum software is what we need, I've been studying the online manual but cannot find a definitive answer to the following:

I have 5 forums. In each forum I have 5 usergroups. The 5 forums have the same usergroup permission profiles. However, a user may be a member of 3 forums, but at a different usergroup level in each forum.
    Is it possible for them to have a different usergroup level in each of the 3 forums?
    If so, how?
    If not, is it possible to tweak the script to make it possible, or does the design prevent this?

Thanks
    I think it is possible. First, you enter the AdminCp, then Choose forum manager(for each box or each forum)--->you choose add moderator--->type the usernam you want to add, also in here you can give this user permission in forum.(In here you can add Admin, Super Mod and Mod, it depends on you.

This is answer you need?

Leave a comment:

• krot
    started a topic Users/Usergroups/Permissions

Users/Usergroups/Permissions

Hi:
    In order to determine whether this forum software is what we need, I've been studying the online manual but cannot find a definitive answer to the following:

I have 5 forums. In each forum I have 5 usergroups. The 5 forums have the same usergroup permission profiles. However, a user may be a member of 3 forums, but at a different usergroup level in each forum.
    Is it possible for them to have a different usergroup level in each of the 3 forums?
    If so, how?
    If not, is it possible to tweak the script to make it possible, or does the design prevent this?

Thanks