Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

License for read-only archived forum necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License for read-only archived forum necessary?

I'm posting this here because it may end up being a pre-sales topic, depending on the answer I get.

I run a new community that was born from one that recently closed; the new site is evolving into a whole new place with a new direction and goals. I'm going to create a whole sub-section of the site that will be a historical record of where we came from. Part of that history will include a read-only clone of the old vBulletin powered community that was closed. It will contain all the old posts and everything. There will be no posting allowed - ever - and will exist purely as a historical record for viewing; like a museum you could say.

Because of the nature of this project, it will be using its own original database and setup as a standalone community, so my question is: will I need to buy a second license for that, even though it will be read-only, and never used?
    ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Yes, that would require a second license.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Ok, no problem. Just curious, though, why a second license for something like that?

Comment

Because it's a second public copy of vBulletin.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Ok. I guess I was thinking that 'public' meant active, posting allowed, that sort of thing. I'll buy a leased license to start, in case there's not much interest in the archive, in which case I can cut it loose in a year without having spent the extra $$ for an owned license.

Comment

Not sure if this will help but you can use Impex to import all those old post into a subforum and make it read only. Delete all the users from that old forum that get imported and their names will stay but it will just say n/a under them and not really be an active member.

If you need help, ask in the Impex forum.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X